jNW players win right to unionize

Does this mean that the value of their scholarships and other items received will be taxable as employee wages?

If so, I doubt many players will be happy with that outcome.

Does this mean that the value of their scholarships and other items received will be taxable as employee wages?

I believe that would be the case. Also, I saw elsewhere that NW's Pres was on one of the news networks saying if this comes to fruition, they would consider dropping football.

This is a wonderful thing (not). The unionized football players would become employees of the university. They will pay taxes on scholarships, equipment, wages etc. Instead of the NCAA governing athletics, we would have the IRS. In the interest of "fairness" all athletes must be paid (including field hockey and crew). Just a few colleges will survive with all the athletics we have today. Most will not be able to afford them.

The end of college athletics as we know it has begun.

In return, with them making an income wouldn't the parents no longer be able to claim them as dependents?

It's not a huge deal, but could absolutely influence a parents decision on where they let a child go to school.

I believe that would be the case. Also, I saw elsewhere that NW's Pres was on one of the news networks saying if this comes to fruition, they would consider dropping football.

And would I be correct to think that this could be the first step toward paying college athletes? I mean, if they are considered employees..

For now, this ruling only covers private institutions. I don't belive the federal agency has jurisdiction over public universities

And would I be correct to think that this could be the first step toward paying college athletes? I mean, if they are considered employees..

How much can you pay them, though? The NW scholly is $75,000 grand of compensation a year--none of which is cash. That alone would generate a significant tax bill that would have to be covered with a cash payment (which itself would be taxable).

The school would have to come out a ton of money before the athletes even see a benefit above and beyond what they currently receive.

Article says that the NLRB does not have any jurisdiction over state schools, but how long before that changes?

So I wonder, how effective they'll be entering into collective barganing with grown ups.

If they hire attorneys - who's going to pay for that? Will college kids really pay union dues? After all a union requires cash to operate and do what it does.

The strength of the union will depend on its enrollment. Whom do they negotiate with - each of the 100+ institutions? Seems like that would get expensive for them.

As they begin they need to aim small and avoid protracted negotiations which will burn their cash.

So what will jNW University do? Revoke scholarships or even limit them in the first place? Could they do that as members of the B1G? or as part of the NCAA? Are member institutions required to offer schollys?

Lots of things to think about.

Now assume that thousands of athletes join a union. They might then have a lot of power.

I hope it stays within the private side. I don't care if players want to be paid, but then you should get paid on performance right? And if so, you should have to pay for your tuition etc. That is not a benefit of working at the university. In the end all of the small sports will suffer greatly and even the football players are not going to see the benefit they think they will receive. Silliness.

Would you be able to pay football players more than, say, volleyball players? Would Title IX prohibit that?

A lot of far-reaching issues on this one.

This decision has consequences for all major conferences. These are a list of private institutions affected.
B1G = NW
Big XII = Baylor and TCU,
ACC = ND, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, U of Miami, Pitt
PAC 12 = Stanford, Southern Cal
SEC = Vanderbilt

Let the breakup of college conferences begin.

It figures Northwestern would start the process of killing collegiate athletics...since they suck at most them anyway...

Latest posts