Jim Tressel must be an amazing coach

HawkI1969

I remember reading the company line on here the last few weeks how hard it is to win on the road in the Big Ten. But Ohio State had less trouble winning at Kinnick than Iowa did winning at Northwestern (obviously) and (winless in the Big Ten) Indiana.

I wonder what the company line will be here now? That we're closer to the level of Indiana than Ohio State, and it's the fans' fault if they don't realize that? That "I remember when we were bad", so we must be satisfied with whatever we get that's better than average?

Somehow I think the explanation won't include anything negative about the head coach. Funny how that works.

I remember reading the company line on here the last few weeks how hard it is to win on the road in the Big Ten. But Ohio State had less trouble winning at Kinnick than Iowa did winning at Northwestern (obviously) and (winless in the Big Ten) Indiana.

I wonder what the company line will be here now? That we're closer to the level of Indiana than Ohio State, and it's the fans' fault if they don't realize that? That "I remember when we were bad", so we must be satisfied with whatever we get that's better than average?

Somehow I think the explanation won't include anything negative about the head coach. Funny how that works.

You do realize Ohio St. has superior talent and depth as compared to everyone else in the big ten right? And that they have for years? Stop crying. They are an excellent team and they beat us. It happens. We aren't the only team trying to win.

Ohio State does have better talent. Why is that? Better coaching..... they consistently recruit better and get them ready to play. They have a completely different set of expectations. That translates into consistent winning. Its why they don't routinely lose to NW, IND

Ohio State has better talent because they are OHIO STATE!!!! Tressel is a very good coach (and is one of only 2 coaches that I would ever even think of considering replacing Ferentz with), but he does greatly benefit from the "O" on his sweater-vest too.

Ohio State has better talent because they are OHIO STATE!!!! Tressel is a very good coach (and is one of only 2 coaches that I would ever even think of considering replacing Ferentz with), but he does greatly benefit from the "O" on his sweater-vest too.

This. Tressel is doing a great job at OSU, but the fact that he is coaching an elite program helps him to get the talent he has. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case at Iowa, although I still think he would do a good job here.

You do realize Ohio St. has superior talent and depth as compared to everyone else in the big ten right? And that they have for years? Stop crying. They are an excellent team and they beat us. It happens. We aren't the only team trying to win.

Just like we have superior talent and depth as compared to Indiana and Northwestern.

I disagree. Tressel a good coach, sure he is. They have phenomenal talent because they are in a very rich recruiting area. If sweater-vest would leave tomorrow, they have a great chance of being very good down the road. It is tough to consistently beat teams when we build our program around the guys they didn't want from their own home state. That's just how it is. We've been doing an exceptional job of developing players, but until we get more elite talent it is going to be tough to "take the next step" in my opinion.

I don't believe the buckeyes have better coaching than we do. They have more talented athletes than we do.

Tressel is a GREAT coach because he knows how to coach talented players and handle high expectations...and make adjustments to his philosophy when needed.

Ohio State does have better talent. Why is that? Better coaching..... they consistently recruit better and get them ready to play. They have a completely different set of expectations. That translates into consistent winning. Its why they don't routinely lose to NW, IND

They have better talent because they are Ohio State. They are the biggest university in the nation, they have an enormous stadium, an amazing history with heisman winners, and live in a state with a huge population of football playin' kids. They have a lot of built in advantages. Always have, always will.

They have better talent, year in and year out, than any other team in the Big Ten. They consistently are top five nationally in recruiting. I sit right behind the visiting team's bench each week. They have some tall, fast, strong, lean players. Beating them is a huge challenge. They won the friggin rose bowl last year, and may get to a BCS bowl this year.

There is no shame in losing to OSU. However, there IS shame in losing to Northwestern!

Just like Michigan and Nebraska, Ohio State is a coaching destination where to have losing seasons a coach almost needs to try to suck, much like DickRod is now and Callahan did at Nebby. tOSU gets the best recruits no matter what and you only need a pulse to coach them to win.

You guys are hilarious. Ohio St. fans see this as a wasted season. Just like Iowa fans are disappointed, so are Ohio St. fans. I doubt they see Tressel as some great coach, because they expected to win it all and go undefeated.

What's the difference? PERSPECTIVE. Ferentz is still excellent and if we lose him we will regret it.

Keep in mind, OSU doesn't even really "recruit" by the same standards as Iowa does.

They can pretty much have their pick of whatever 5* recruits they want and then they spend the balance of their time trying to keep the 4* players from begging at their door.

It's not even similar.

Kirk said it this week when it comes to recruiting againt OSU, especially in the state of Ohio. You let OSU take their pick and then everybody else fights for the scraps. And I mean scraps in the lightest sense. Look at the TE recruit Ray Hamilton that we got this year. He wanted nothing more than to go to OSU, and probably would have except there was another TE recruit in OH that was just a little better. OSU took that guy so we get a TE recruit that is OSU caliber.

You guys are hilarious. Ohio St. fans see this as a wasted season. Just like Iowa fans are disappointed, so are Ohio St. fans. I doubt they see Tressel as some great coach, because they expected to win it all and go undefeated.

What's the difference? PERSPECTIVE. Ferentz is still excellent and if we lose him we will regret it.

Maybe you have different OSU fans than I do, but my OSU fans do not consider this a wasted season. They're right in the hunt to go to another BCS game. The difference, is they meet their expectations to hit a BCS game this year. Now that could be tempered a little if they slip to the Cap One bowl... but they're in the mix with one game left on the schedule. Did they WANT the NC game? sure! Wasted season? Nope.

There were a lot of unrealistic fans that expected Iowa to go to the NC game as well- takes quite a bit of skill and a little bit of luck. Just looking at the roster and declaring we're going to the NC game doesn't constitute realistic expectations in my book.

Latest posts