Jim McElwain to Florida

Really shocked they didn't consider Dan Mullen. Briefly last night Mullen's Wikipedia page listed him as the Nebraska Head coach.

Took over a Colorado State program with 3 straight years of a 3-9 record.Turned it around to 4-8, 8-6, and 10-2. Has SEC experience as an OC for 3 years at Bama including a couple National Championships.

I say good hire.

I think I heard he was waiting for a call from a guy named Gary but it never came. His coaching tree goes back to Hayden and Snyder, always wanted to finish his career in Iowa City, has family and owns tons of real estate in eastern Iowa.

What is his salary? Let me guess... It's the same or less than Ferentz but he will be expected to win at least 10 games a year and in the playoff picture every year.

Florida is paying CSU $7.5 million to buy out his contract. And guaranteeing a game against them by 2020...plus other flub. They were desperate

Found it.

"McElwain will be paid an average of $3.5 million per season over a six-year contract, according to sources."

What's Ferentz make a year?

Found it.

"McElwain will be paid an average of $3.5 million per season over a six-year contract, according to sources."

What's Ferentz make a year?

Right around the same. Of course, Florida owes the fired coach something and paid CSU 7.5 million compensation as well.

My point is around expectations. Florida pays $3.5 million a year and expects 10 victories and playoff participation. Iowa pays Ferentz 3.5 million a year and expects him to finish in the middle every year with an occasional shot at the BIG championship which he hasn't even sniffed since 2009.

Gary Barta:

"If we can consistently be in the middle of the pack or higher, in any given year we have a chance to win a championship," Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said. "So that's our goal for every program, to get them to that point where every year they're in the middle or higher in the Big Ten."

As long and Barta and Iowa fans put up with this expectation, that is what they will get for $3.5 million a year.

My point is around expectations. Florida pays $3.5 million a year and expects 10 victories and playoff participation. Iowa pays Ferentz 3.5 million a year and expects him to finish in the middle every year with an occasional shot at the BIG championship which he hasn't even sniffed since 2009.

Gary Barta:

"If we can consistently be in the middle of the pack or higher, in any given year we have a chance to win a championship," Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said. "So that's our goal for every program, to get them to that point where every year they're in the middle or higher in the Big Ten."

As long and Barta and Iowa fans put up with this expectation, that is what they will get for $3.5 million a year.

Are you really not bright enough to figure out the advantages of a the Florida program as opposed to Iowa?

It's a great hire and one id be happy with. I can't believe that Dan Mullen didn't sniff Nebraska or Florida. This guy looks the part and reminds me of Gus Malzhan. If he can win at Mississippi State then he sure as heck can win at Nebraska. If he goes to Michigan our days of winning against them are over.

Latest posts