Jerry Burns

RIP. He was a good football coach. He he been our head coach at a different time I think he could have been highly successful.

When I first started to follow sports, he was the head coach of my favorite team (Vikings). He also reminded me of my grampa (only more profane). I have no idea how good of a coach he was, but I always liked him, and he holds a special place in my sports memories.

Plus, he delivered this classic postgame press-conference:

Burns was a class act who was a great example of an outstanding coach, probably genius level, who got beat up by geniuses who still hang around on. Web sites in 2021.

Burns was a very good coach as his Vikings tenure showed. He had some good years and a couple terrible ones at Iowa. Of course following Evy was tough with Evy right there as what some people said that Evy was the puppeteer moving all the strings. He was I am sure a very good coach before being head coach at Iowa. He supposedly had a couple really top teams that faltered at Iowa.

I was in Kinnick Stadium/Iowa Stadium in 1963 or 64 when QB Gary Snook had a really bad game against Minny and I heard boos for the first time ever. Snook had a really very good career overall but that was a huge rivalry and still is so some fans took it out on Snook.

When I first started to follow sports, he was the head coach of my favorite team (Vikings). He also reminded me of my grampa (only more profane). I have no idea how good of a coach he was, but I always liked him, and he holds a special place in my sports memories.

Plus, he delivered this classic postgame press-conference:
Seems like a great guy to have a beer (or several with). Very honest and humble it seems.

I believe that Burns was on Vince Lombardi's staff at one time...

Not surprised that he was 94. He looked 94 when he coached the Vikings.
I second that... I didn't know he was still alive. My memory of him pretty much is only having been with the Vikings.

For those who can remember, why did Iowa fall far and fast with Burns? Iowa was on the cusp of being a Big Ten power and it all went to crud.

For those who can remember, why did Iowa fall far and fast with Burns? Iowa was on the cusp of being a Big Ten power and it all went to crud.

Injuries one year and next year it continued. W/o those injuries, it would have been different. Not that I remember that other than reading it. I barely remember Frank only when fired and Bob Commings who actually started the road to HF success. He had some terrific recruits that HF took advantage of.

Latest posts