Jeff Tedford relieved of duties at Cal

Didn't see this breaking news posted yet. Figured that HN inhabitants might have thoughts on this.

"He won a school-record 82 games, churned out numerous NFL prospects and spearheaded a facilities upgrade highlighted by a $321 million stadium renovation.
But he never was able to match early success that included a pair of 10-win seasons in his first five years and a share of the 2006 conference title."

Sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

"He won a school-record 82 games, churned out numerous NFL prospects and spearheaded a facilities upgrade highlighted by a $321 million stadium renovation.
But he never was able to match early success that included a pair of 10-win seasons in his first five years and a share of the 2006 conference title."

wow, eerily so.

That's football. They're just lil ol' Cal. The wrong hire could set them back into the dark ages.

Yeah, an academic university with little history in a pro-football town. I am sure all of the pancho-wearing, hemp-burning, white guy dreadlocks-having sports maniacs in NoCal are cheering in the streets.

Wait. I thought hippies loved football? Ohhh yeah, that's disc golf, right? ;)

That's football. They're just lil ol' Cal. The wrong hire could set them back into the dark ages.

This is absolutely true. Tedford has had two below .500 years in 11 seasons as coach. They had 3 above .500 years the 20 years before Tedford came along. He has the best winning percentage of any Cal coach since the 1950's.

Wait. I thought hippies loved football? Ohhh yeah, that's disc golf, right? ;)

Rage_face.jpg

Difference is their AD didn't sign him to a lifetime contract. Kirk Ferentz is the Jeff Tedford of the Big Ten.

Yeah, an academic university with little history in a pro-football town. I am sure all of the pancho-wearing, hemp-burning, white guy dreadlocks-having sports maniacs in NoCal are cheering in the streets.

How's that for little history.. :)

4 National Championships.
14 Conference Championships

8 Rose Bowl Appearances..

You mean those 4 national championships in the 1920's? Those 8 Rose Bowls...last appearance 1958? Last win 1937?

That's the kind of history programs like Minnesota and Illinois have. How have those sleeping giants been faring?

They are the Pac 10 version of Minnesota.

2006- co champs
1975- co champs
1958- champs

and than we are talking over 60 years ago...............

Tedford's buyout was 6.9 million. I would say this is much different situation than here.

Would you say the same about the Iowa job?

Interesting that you pose that question. I've often thought the B.S. about it being tough to win at Iowa was...well, just that. B.S. It's no Ohio State or USC, but nobody suggests it is.

You can talk about demographic limitations til you're blue in the face. There are plenty of examples...both winning and losing programs where it's largely irrelevant. This isn't 1965...the country is connected from coast to coast and kids can and will go anywhere if it's attractive to them.

What IS relevant...is 30 years of mostly winning football, a fan base recently ranked as #16 in all of college football using modern metrics, a stadium/gameday experience that people flock to, demanding fans, yes...but genuinely good people and high quality of life, a "brand" that's visible across the country...and OUTSIDE the country, a leading conference and university, and one hell of a payday. Even if it IS less than KFz makes.

The IOWA job is a good one. You won't get a Saban or Meyer...but there are plenty of good coaches, winners... that would love a place like IOWA.

Latest posts