JD, do you have activity stats?

Those are just the number of people who have registered accounts. We average close to 100k uniques per month year round..so I would guess 95% of the visitors to the site are folks who just read and do not participate in the forums beyond reading.

How are these "uniques" figured? Since I visit sites my wife might deem "unacceptable" on an hourly basis I tend to clear my history/cookies a lot and pull up the site while not logged in. Is that instance considered a unique visit? given your demographic i think that is probably fairly common....very curious here

Well, I guess I have a couple reasons. First, I really don't like posting from my phone, and because I'm in class a lot the only way I read is mobile, whether it be phone or tablet. I dislike, when typing, my font is too light to read on the mobile app - which turned me off of posting mobile, and just reading.Second, I try to avoid ******* matches in threads when I am on my computer and can read the OT/Poli boards because I do enjoy them, I just don't feel like arguing over the internet.Third, lots of times I don't have very much new information to add. I don't feel like wasting other people's time by just reiterating a post that has already been said. I like to post when I find enough time in my schedule and what not. I'll try being more active, just for you Scorp!Edit: forgot that a certain word for "peeing" is starred out.
Good stuff, thank you very much. :)Don't think I'm pressuring you to be more posty! Do your own thang, young broseph. I was just curious to learn about why some folks lurk only.

Lurk kinda has a negative connotation. Observing is perhaps a more neutral discrption.

Lurk kinda has a negative connotation. Observing is perhaps a more neutral discrption.

Whatever you want to call it, I happen to think the practice is parasitic. Visit the site every day, get info, be entertained...and give nothing in return.
It's like the guy who tagged along to the bars with you and your bros, drank from every pitcher, but never bought a round.:mad:

Whatever you want to call it, I happen to think the practice is parasitic. Visit the site every day, get info, be entertained...and give nothing in return.It's like the guy who tagged along to the bars with you and your bros, drank from every pitcher, but never bought a round.:mad:

OK. I buy your analogy, but does it also apply to your little brother that wanted to hang with the cool guys but wasn't old enough to drink?

Those are just the number of people who have registered accounts. We average close to 100k uniques per month year round..so I would guess 95% of the visitors to the site are folks who just read and do not participate in the forums beyond reading.

I bet when you factor in weight that 5% is a lot higher.

Thank him?

Not so much as thank us!

I knew you would see what I was getting at.

Regulars, high-volume posters, provide content here. A lot of free entertainment.
And then some 85-posts-in-three-years no0b starts a thread to bich about us?!?
Child please.

How are these "uniques" figured? Since I visit sites my wife might deem "unacceptable" on an hourly basis I tend to clear my history/cookies a lot and pull up the site while not logged in. Is that instance considered a unique visit? given your demographic i think that is probably fairly common....very curious here

Not exactly certain there, but I do know this; the figures I use are from Google Analytics, pretty much one of the industry standards in measuring such things...and advertisers ask to see those numbers. So it's an apples to apples comparison when they are comparing where to spend their ad dollars.

And from a third party ad perspective, when they see a unique IP address, they see it as one person..if that person is logging in with multiple devices with each having a different IP, makes no difference to me...at some point in time, an advertiser stops 'liking' a user. The Law of Diminishing Returns..after about the fourth of fifth time an advertiser's ad is displayed to that one user, that user then has less value to them and they no longer want to serve ads to them. Some users see 200 or more pages a day. Some see just four or five, some one or two. Once you see four or five, you become less valuable. So posters who post like crazy or people who view scores of pages each day really don't add linear value from the business perspective in a pure third party ad play.

Which is why those ads on content pages are higher paying ads...there is a lower visitor to ad displayed frequency...and which is why message board ad plays is a pure volume game.

You can't really make the kind of revenues you want in this genre, ad supported, unless you either have high volume or you sell a lot of local ads on a monthly price basis, something we are efforting to do now that we have hired a local ad 'agency' if you will.

This is an area I had to figure out when I went to a free model and took me 10 months to fine tune it, back in 2010. I started a consulting company at that time based on what I learned and help other independent site owners earn more revenues. This new video player component you see is the best opportunity for guys like me to help pay more bills that I have come across in three years, so that's why it's staying on the content pages.

Like I said in another thread, if everyone who visited the site read every content item we publish on the site, I'd be able to nearly do away with the message board ads. That won't happen, so I won't do it, but I AM going to reduce the message board ads because of that video ad module.

A lot of that may sound boring, but man do I love analyzing it and constantly looking for products or new ways to help my clients earn more revs. It's like a game.

Last edited:
I knew you would see what I was getting at.

Regulars, high-volume posters, provide content here. A lot of free entertainment.
And then some 85-posts-in-three-years no0b starts a thread to bich about us?!?
Child please.

It looks to be that way. In a different discussion, Jon D Miller wrote "Content page views (aka articles) account for 10% of site page views", which in essence means, 90% of the page views on this site are the result of a user logging in and checking out what some random poster has to say.

Further still, Mr. Miller went on to say "We average close to 100k uniques per month year round", which I infer to state that site traffic is high and consistent.

So to synthesize all of this data, it would reason that most of the people who "lurk", "observe", or plain "don't post" are coming here to read mostly what others have to say, which means that the high volume posters are one of the reasons people read this site.

It looks to be that way. In a different discussion, Jon D Miller wrote "Content page views (aka articles) account for 10% of site page views", which in essence means, 90% of the page views on this site are the result of a user logging in and checking out what some random poster has to say.

Further still, Mr. Miller went on to say "We average close to 100k uniques per month year round", which I infer to state that site traffic is high and consistent.

So to synthesize all of this data, it would reason that most of the people who "lurk", "observe", or plain "don't post" are coming here to read mostly what others have to say, which means that the high volume posters are one of the reasons people read this site.

This is why the "30 posters that make HN so hard to read" should be banned for one month so that Diesel can see if that helps revenue.

Damn.....you are still smooth busabus!

(My apologies if my comment has broken a chuckle hut law in the site feeback forum but I've drank 2 1/2 little minnie, miny? bottles of Chardonnay and it greatly affected me. And I'm tired of correcting errors too.)

This board is like Wilt Chamberlain except it seems reasonable to assume that the vast majority of the board's visitors do not try to have sex with it.

Not exactly certain there, but I do know this; the figures I use are from Google Analytics, pretty much one of the industry standards in measuring such things...and advertisers ask to see those numbers. So it's an apples to apples comparison when they are comparing where to spend their ad dollars.

And from a third party ad perspective, when they see a unique IP address, they see it as one person..if that person is logging in with multiple devices with each having a different IP, makes no difference to me...at some point in time, an advertiser stops 'liking' a user. The Law of Diminishing Returns..after about the fourth of fifth time an advertiser's ad is displayed to that one user, that user then has less value to them and they no longer want to serve ads to them. Some users see 200 or more pages a day. Some see just four or five, some one or two. Once you see four or five, you become less valuable. So posters who post like crazy or people who view scores of pages each day really don't add linear value from the business perspective in a pure third party ad play.

Which is why those ads on content pages are higher paying ads...there is a lower visitor to ad displayed frequency...and which is why message board ad plays is a pure volume game.

You can't really make the kind of revenues you want in this genre, ad supported, unless you either have high volume or you sell a lot of local ads on a monthly price basis, something we are efforting to do now that we have hired a local ad 'agency' if you will.

This is an area I had to figure out when I went to a free model and took me 10 months to fine tune it, back in 2010. I started a consulting company at that time based on what I learned and help other independent site owners earn more revenues. This new video player component you see is the best opportunity for guys like me to help pay more bills that I have come across in three years, so that's why it's staying on the content pages.

Like I said in another thread, if everyone who visited the site read every content item we publish on the site, I'd be able to nearly do away with the message board ads. That won't happen, so I won't do it, but I AM going to reduce the message board ads because of that video ad module.

A lot of that may sound boring, but man do I love analyzing it and constantly looking for products or new ways to help my clients earn more revs. It's like a game.

Cool. I love Google analytics. Outside of Iowa, where do you get the most hits from? Lots of displaced Iowans out there.