JD, do you have activity stats?

S

Scorpio79

From what I can tell, HN has 37,838 unique user IDs since launch. Can you tell me what percentage of that figure are considered active posters?
If you consider that to be confidential info, then never mind.
I'm just trying to get a feel for how many true "regulars" your site has, and I don't want to guess.

I'm sure there are a lot like me that post sometimes but lurk very often.

Help me understand that approach. Seriously. What's the point of going to a forum and only reading, not posting (much)?
This isn't a magazine or newspaper, where you read articles and form an opinion and then move on. It's an interactive thing; in fact, it would die if many people did not contribute their thoughts and ideas and opinions.
Where's the fun in going read-only?

Help me understand that approach. Seriously. What's the point of going to a forum and only reading, not posting (much)?
This isn't a magazine or newspaper, where you read articles and form an opinion and then move on. It's an interactive thing; in fact, it would die if many people did not contribute their thoughts and ideas and opinions.

A lot of people consider message boards a source for breaking info....thats why they lurk

Well, I guess I have a couple reasons.
First, I really don't like posting from my phone, and because I'm in class a lot the only way I read is mobile, whether it be phone or tablet. I dislike, when typing, my font is too light to read on the mobile app - which turned me off of posting mobile, and just reading.

Second, I try to avoid ******* matches in threads when I am on my computer and can read the OT/Poli boards because I do enjoy them, I just don't feel like arguing over the internet.

Third, lots of times I don't have very much new information to add. I don't feel like wasting other people's time by just reiterating a post that has already been said.

I like to post when I find enough time in my schedule and what not. I'll try being more active, just for you Scorp!

Edit: forgot that a certain word for "peeing" is starred out.

Well, I guess I have a couple reasons.
First, I really don't like posting from my phone, and because I'm in class a lot the only way I read is mobile, whether it be phone or tablet. I dislike, when typing, my font is too light to read on the mobile app - which turned me off of posting mobile, and just reading.

Second, I try to avoid ******* matches in threads when I am on my computer and can read the OT/Poli boards because I do enjoy them, I just don't feel like arguing over the internet.

Third, lots of times I don't have very much new information to add. I don't feel like wasting other people's time by just reiterating a post that has already been said.

I like to post when I find enough time in my schedule and what not. I'll try being more active, just for you Scorp!

Edit: forgot that a certain word for "peeing" is starred out.

Good stuff, thank you very much. :)
Don't think I'm pressuring you to be more posty! Do your own thang, young broseph. I was just curious to learn about why some folks lurk only.

Good stuff, thank you very much. :)
Don't think I'm pressuring you to be more posty! Do your own thang, young broseph. I was just curious to learn about why some folks lurk only.

I like posting and interacting with everyone here. I'll definitely spend more time posting during football and basketball seasons.

Those are just the number of people who have registered accounts. We average close to 100k uniques per month year round..so I would guess 95% of the visitors to the site are folks who just read and do not participate in the forums beyond reading.

Those are just the number of people who have registered accounts. We average close to 100k uniques per month year round..so I would guess 95% of the visitors to the site are folks who just read and do not participate in the forums beyond reading.

Wow! That's crazy...would have never guessed such a high % in a million years.

Is the conversation around here THAT stimulating?!?! :p

Tks.
That is an astounding figure. All those people come here and scoop up free content day after day. And not so much as a thank you!