JC Transfers

I have to admit that I am a football fan first. But even with that, sometimes I just have to wonder why some guys pick basketball over football, and May seems to be one of these guys.

I know he wasn't a fan of football practice, but at his size and speed he could either be a QB's favorite target, or worse nightmare.

As I was watching the game last night, I had the same thought. Why basketball? In football you don't have to dribble.

It's so frustrating watching him catch the ball at the arc, dribble to just below the freethrow line and then pass it.....over and over and over.

As I was watching the game last night, I had the same thought. Why basketball? In football you don't have to dribble.

It's so frustrating watching him catch the ball at the arc, dribble to just below the freethrow line and then pass it.....over and over and over.

I agree on May, I wish he would have played football. I watched him play both in high school and actually know his family fairly well. He is from Dubuque and played at my high school, Wahlert.
He really didn't have much in the way of offers in football. He played quarterback and a very mediocre team. They were not very good a team and he did not have any good atheletes around him. He rarely played any defense. Going back 10-15 years to my days at Wahlert, the football coaching staffs have never done anything to help players play football in college. The only other player in recent years was Pete McMahon and he had to walk on the football team by having his family make his recruiting tapes for him.
As for May's basketball career, he was such a good athlete on the court he was able to dominate the MoValley and he was on a team that won a state title. He was getting far more receognition for his basketball play. Not to mention he hit a 40 or 50 footer to win the title game and people took notice.
I think he would have done well at football, but would have had to really work at it and find a good position, because he wasn't playing QB. Even then, I don't think Iowa even offered him a scholarship.

I don't care where a recruit comes from. I think everyone in the Iowa BBall camp knows we just need more talent.

I quote my dad
"We have plenty of shooters on this team....now we just need to recruit some makers!"

It made me laugh.

I think the fans are very accurate in this team's shortcomings, however I would caution in looking for a quick fix in Juco players, McDermott tried this at ISU and it blew up in his face, Kansas State is going thru a nightmare this yr, Juco kids can be a real gamble, Cartwright has been a huge find but you still need to rely on 4 yr players, at most I would want 1 JC, a big athletic kid that can average 12-10 like a Reggie Evans,( i know this will be hard to find) add him next yr and we take a huge step towards respectability, a healthy payne and cartwright and our point guard will be fine,

You make my point exactly, I have no real issues with JUCO players, but they are red flags, but in Cartwrights situation, he wasn't.

I would gladly take a C that is athletic from the JUCO ranks, but the staff has to do all their homework and with Fran, I don't think he is going to reach too far on a guy with questionable character. I could be wrong there.

Someone made the point about getting two JC players and getting 6-8 wins in the Big Ten and helping in freshman recruiting. I understand the logic with the Big Ten losing a lot of quality players.
My arguement to that is if Iowa gets the right two freshman, I think you can see those same results.
Basabe wasn't a blue-chipper, but I think he is the 2nd best freshman in the Big Ten today behind Sullinger, at lowest he is 4th behind Craft of OSU and Richmond of Illinois, but those two were Top 100 players, so they were expected to do what they are doing.

I think Stokes and Katenda could be those two freshman that could add a lot to Iowa's roster to get the 6-8 wins people are talking about. The freshman are going to improve in their sophomore years with Basabe being a potential All-Big Ten type player and Iowa's best player.

With Stokes, Iowa would have plenty of depth at the PG position and would allow Cartwright to play some wing and do what he does best, get to lane.
Katenda is just a little bit bigger version of Basabe and his athleticism and shot-blocking ability would give Iowa tougher low post defense. Basabe is really the only player that will contest a shot and can still get the rebound, Katenda could do that same thing. Before Katenda couldn't play this summer he was rated as high as 108 on Rivals.

If Archie isn't on Iowa's roster next season and Iowa can bring in 5 players, then a C, either JUCO or freshman will be a must. If the staff chooses to bring in some JUCO players, that is fine, I trust the staff knows what they are doing. If the staff chooses to go with freshman and player development then I am fine with that as well, I trust in what they are doing.

Yes if Iowa can get a Reggie Evans type big man, then get him to pair up with Basabe.

The program is at a Crossroads and what direction Fran takes it this Spring will be interesting. JUCO or freshman, it really doesn't matter, what type of player will be brought in?

I still think we need a point guard in this class. Cartwright will be a senior, and I'm not sure if I trust Cully starting. I would like to see Cartwright play some 2 also. Plus point guard is the most valuable position, especially in this offense. Carter would be nice, or Shaq, I'm not really sure who else we are looking at. Has anyone heard anything about Washpun lately? If we could get a solid pg recruit and then a big freshman or JUCO transfer I think that would be our best option. How has White been this season, I haven't heard much about him?

I still think we need a point guard in this class. Cartwright will be a senior, and I'm not sure if I trust Cully starting. I would like to see Cartwright play some 2 also. Plus point guard is the most valuable position, especially in this offense. Carter would be nice, or Shaq, I'm not really sure who else we are looking at. Has anyone heard anything about Washpun lately? If we could get a solid pg recruit and then a big freshman or JUCO transfer I think that would be our best option. How has White been this season, I haven't heard much about him?

I saw an article headline that Washpun is getting attention from Iowa. I like a reliable scorer from thPG position and have yet to see anything that says Washpun won't be a liability offensively, at least in the beginning of his college career.

JUCO's are hardly the way to build your program in the sense of relying on them year after year. But for programs in our situation, JUCO's are a good way to get a shot in the arm. The better 4-year players aren't, and haven't been coming. JUCO's can give you enough talent to be competitive, which then makes you more attractive to high school players.

JUCO's are hardly the way to build your program in the sense of relying on them year after year. But for programs in our situation, JUCO's are a good way to get a shot in the arm. The better 4-year players aren't, and haven't been coming. JUCO's can give you enough talent to be competitive, which then makes you more attractive to high school players.

You are right, I think Iowa relied on every transfer to be like Recker ane Evans; look at how Cincy has done since Huggins left when he relied on bringing in 2 or 3 every year.
Cartwright has been invaluable this season, there are times to get JUCO players and a time not. It is up to the staff to make that choice and I am very curious to see what they do.
Still I wouldn't rule out this staff being able to find some under-recruited kids like Basabe and continue to build from there.

I think the fans are very accurate in this team's shortcomings, however I would caution in looking for a quick fix in Juco players, McDermott tried this at ISU and it blew up in his face, Kansas State is going thru a nightmare this yr, Juco kids can be a real gamble, Cartwright has been a huge find but you still need to rely on 4 yr players, at most I would want 1 JC, a big athletic kid that can average 12-10 like a Reggie Evans,( i know this will be hard to find) add him next yr and we take a huge step towards respectability, a healthy payne and cartwright and our point guard will be fine,

Absolutely there is a risk, however Fran needs some "ready" for play players for a couple of years until he can get that 2012 class in. Recruiting this year was going to be difficult because the late start and next year is going to be easier, but still hard. Fran and his staff have a chance to build relationships, strong relationships with the 2012 kids, but until they can get them, again, I think the Juco route wouldn't be a bad idea.

Latest posts