JC Transfers

DunderMifflinHk

Iowa needs to get two JC transfers next year. A solid big and a slashing guard. Two players that could come in and start. Something to kick start the rebuilding process. Does anyone know if were targeting any JC's?

Iowa needs to get two JC transfers next year. A solid big and a slashing guard. Two players that could come in and start. Something to kick start the rebuilding process. Does anyone know if were targeting any JC's?

With the rise of prep schools, it seems JUCOs just don't have the talent they used to. We have a glaring need for a starting wing that can create his shot, and for a defensive, rebounding big. Can only hope we can find some.

There is still plenty of talent in JC ball. Look at the JC's in the panhandle of Forida and look at the SEC.

I would bet the top 5 JC teams in the nation could play with Iowa.

I agree with the OP. Iowa needs some ready to play players right now. Kinda of like Cartwright. I've been pleasantly surprised with his game. Where would Iowa be without him?

I agree with the OP. Iowa needs some ready to play players right now. Kinda of like Cartwright. I've been pleasantly surprised with his game. Where would Iowa be without him?

I've thought this many times. We would be sooo much worse without him this year, especially since Cully went down.

Elijah Carter would also be a good get. Him and Olgesby are both top 150 on Rivals. How many scholarships do we have to give in the spring?

Okay, this subject comes up a lot. I like Cartwright, but he has his flaws and he will be a senior next season, so how much of an impact does he have on the program? How much does he develop? Obviously, if Iowa doesn't have him this year, it would be really ugly with Payne's injury.

Here is my other question: Is it worth bringing in a two year player that doesn't get better or bring in a freshman that can develop on some level?
If Iowa is looking at JC players and brings one or two in then I trust the coaches think those players will have a program changing effect rather than developing freshman.

It doesn't matter what I think, but it would make more sense to me to bring in freshman and develop them next season. It depends on how you look at it, will Iowa benefit long-term? Is Iowa in a position to make a huge leap by adding JC players now with the rest of the roster? They would have to be Iowa's best players from day one to accomplish that. I am certainly not against JC players, but I am not sure if that is the solution right now. It would add to the upperclassmen with May since he will be the only Jr. on the roster since Payne is going to redshirt.
As far as the top 5 JC teams could play with Iowa, okay...IHCC could play with a lot of teams in their time, but what players made significant impacts after they left?

Elijah Carter would also be a good get. Him and Olgesby are both top 150 on Rivals. How many scholarships do we have to give in the spring?

We have 2 and Eli Carter would be huge and so would Eric Katenda, both would fit perfectly into what Iowa is trying to do.

I think this is the way to go as well. You gotta do something quick in order to be able to recruit the freshman needed to compete. Sure JC's come with their baggage but we have to get some to impact the wins in order to turn the corner in high school recruiting.

I think this is the way to go as well. You gotta do something quick in order to be able to recruit the freshman needed to compete. Sure JC's come with their baggage but we have to get some to impact the wins in order to turn the corner in high school recruiting.

I have stated a few times Iowa might need to take a chance on a guy who has some immediate impact, which means JUCO. I agree with drew003 about prep school guy being a good fit as well. Tyler Smith was a Prep School guy.

I just don't know how you can be happy with this roster next year:

Payne
Cartwright
May
Gatens
Marble
McCabe
Basabe
Brommer
White
Ogelsby
Archie

I don't know how that team is any better than this years team honestly.

I don't know if you are better off getting a McCabe type freshman to try to develope or a JUCO who can only give you two years, but will produce more than McCabe would.

It was just really hard to watch Iowa tonight. I know this year was not going to be great as I was thinking about 14 wins before the year started but still this team is really frustrating to watch still.

Okay, this subject comes up a lot. I like Cartwright, but he has his flaws and he will be a senior next season, so how much of an impact does he have on the program? How much does he develop? Obviously, if Iowa doesn't have him this year, it would be really ugly with Payne's injury.

Here is my other question: Is it worth bringing in a two year player that doesn't get better or bring in a freshman that can develop on some level?
If Iowa is looking at JC players and brings one or two in then I trust the coaches think those players will have a program changing effect rather than developing freshman.

It doesn't matter what I think, but it would make more sense to me to bring in freshman and develop them next season. It depends on how you look at it, will Iowa benefit long-term? Is Iowa in a position to make a huge leap by adding JC players now with the rest of the roster? They would have to be Iowa's best players from day one to accomplish that. I am certainly not against JC players, but I am not sure if that is the solution right now. It would add to the upperclassmen with May since he will be the only Jr. on the roster since Payne is going to redshirt.
As far as the top 5 JC teams could play with Iowa, okay...IHCC could play with a lot of teams in their time, but what players made significant impacts after they left?

Interesting take. I guess my thought is we need to get competitive before we can really develop and recruit talent. If we can get two JUCO's that can get us to 6-8 wins in the Big 10 and get us to the NIT then its worth it for me. It would show progress, fans would be more interested, and some measurable progress to show to recruits.

It would also provide the team some hope, and help develop a winning culture. I'm afraid we've been losing for so long recruiting more developmental players and trying to develop them might not ever work.

The Big 10 loses a lot of talent next year. If we could plug in average to slightly above-average Big 10 players at SF and C we've got a shot to get 6-8 conference wins. I'm just not sure we can recruit that talent from JUCO.

I don't know how that team is any better than this years team honestly.

I don't know if you are better off getting a McCabe type freshman to try to develope or a JUCO who can only give you two years, but will produce more than McCabe would.
still.

I was thinking Fran needs to make some tough choices, but he really doesn't. If he brings in a couple of more mature players this year, he will still have rides for Brommer, Archie, Gatens, and Cartwright for 2012.

The problem with next year is there will be a glut at 2, Gatens, Marble, and Ogelsby, and 3 May, Basabe, and While, but we will still be missing Big Men.

Also, of those 6, there really isn't a creator in the bunch.

I would just hope Fran wouldn't have to resort to Basabe playing in the center, as I think it might mess up his development.

I was thinking Fran needs to make some tough choices, but he really doesn't. If he brings in a couple of more mature players this year, he will still have rides for Brommer, Archie, Gatens, and Cartwright for 2012.

The problem with next year is there will be a glut at 2, Gatens, Marble, and Ogelsby, and 3 May, Basabe, and While, but we will still be missing Big Men.

Also, of those 6, there really isn't a creator in the bunch.

I would just hope Fran wouldn't have to resort to Basabe playing in the center, as I think it might mess up his development.

I agree. You know I wondered if Fran was going to come in and nicely ask Brommer and Archie to leave to free up some scholarships.

I agree with you an Basabe. I think Basabe is more of a 4 man currently with maybe the ability to be a 3 man in certain line ups. I don't know if Basabe will ever handle the ball well enough to be a true wing, but he knocked down a nice 16 ft jump shot tonight. I don't want his development screwed up because Iowa's roster construction sucks and the talent around him sucks.

It will be interesting to see what happens with playing time next season.

I was really excited about Eric May, but his lack of ball handling skills is basically really hurting is ability to have a consistent impact. Against Minnesota he had a good game simply because he had and open court dunk and hit a few 3 point shots. He still didn't get to the line and draw fouls on guys, which is something someone with his athletic ability should be doing. I just don't know if he will ever develop basketball skills to go with his athletic ability.

I agree. You know I wondered if Fran was going to come in and nicely ask Brommer and Archie to leave to free up some scholarships.

I agree with you an Basabe. I think Basabe is more of a 4 man currently with maybe the ability to be a 3 man in certain line ups. I don't know if Basabe will ever handle the ball well enough to be a true wing, but he knocked down a nice 16 ft jump shot tonight. I don't want his development screwed up because Iowa's roster construction sucks and the talent around him sucks.

It will be interesting to see what happens with playing time next season.

I was really excited about Eric May, but his lack of ball handling skills is basically really hurting is ability to have a consistent impact. Against Minnesota he had a good game simply because he had and open court dunk and hit a few 3 point shots. He still didn't get to the line and draw fouls on guys, which is something someone with his athletic ability should be doing. I just don't know if he will ever develop basketball skills to go with his athletic ability.

We need to recruit over May to progress as a team in my opinion. Preferably we recruit over Payne as well but I'm less concerned there. I think May can be a useful bench wing player to give energy and defense as an upperclassmen though.

We need to recruit over May to progress as a team in my opinion. Preferably we recruit over Payne as well but I'm less concerned there. I think May can be a useful bench wing player to give energy and defense as an upperclassmen though.

Agree 100%, it is absolutely killing Iowa having two wings who can not dribble drive. May and Gatens really put Cartwright in a tough spot.

My guess is that Kirk S has significant contacts based on his prior Florida coaching/recruiting JUCO's. I would think/hope it will bring someone this spring. We need significant talent upgrade at every position - agree with Drew003 comments.

We have 2 and Eli Carter would be huge and so would Eric Katenda, both would fit perfectly into what Iowa is trying to do.

I would definitely trade these two for JC transfers. But if we can't get them or somebody worth getting we should look the JC route if they're are Bryce Cartright level talents available. Not saying Bryce is an all big ten talent but he fits our system and is very effective. It would be nice to have two freshmen and two juniors in this class. This would balance us out a little and also help us become competitive in the league which would result in better chances to land more talented HS seniors.

Agree 100%, it is absolutely killing Iowa having two wings who can not dribble drive. May and Gatens really put Cartwright in a tough spot.

I have to admit that I am a football fan first. But even with that, sometimes I just have to wonder why some guys pick basketball over football, and May seems to be one of these guys.

I know he wasn't a fan of football practice, but at his size and speed he could either be a QB's favorite target, or worse nightmare.

Last edited:
I think the fans are very accurate in this team's shortcomings, however I would caution in looking for a quick fix in Juco players, McDermott tried this at ISU and it blew up in his face, Kansas State is going thru a nightmare this yr, Juco kids can be a real gamble, Cartwright has been a huge find but you still need to rely on 4 yr players, at most I would want 1 JC, a big athletic kid that can average 12-10 like a Reggie Evans,( i know this will be hard to find) add him next yr and we take a huge step towards respectability, a healthy payne and cartwright and our point guard will be fine,

I think the fans are very accurate in this team's shortcomings, however I would caution in looking for a quick fix in Juco players, McDermott tried this at ISU and it blew up in his face, Kansas State is going thru a nightmare this yr, Juco kids can be a real gamble, Cartwright has been a huge find but you still need to rely on 4 yr players, at most I would want 1 JC, a big athletic kid that can average 12-10 like a Reggie Evans,( i know this will be hard to find) add him next yr and we take a huge step towards respectability, a healthy payne and cartwright and our point guard will be fine,

Agree, there is a risk.

I think Iowa if fine at PG with Cartwright and Payne next season. I think Iowa needs a wing player and a big. Eric May and Matt Gatens just are not going to get it done on the wing. Neither of them dribble well enough to be effective wing players. Fran has a wide open offense and if you watch the offense really struggles because Cartwright is the only player who can create off the dribble.

Latest posts