Jay Wright Can Coach!

Hawkcrush

I like Fran just fine, but he needs to read the Jay Wright book on coaching D. I watched Nova all tournament and there ability to play team D and each player knowing the scout is amazing. He deserved the coach of the year fo SHO! Yeah it helped that there shooting % was nuts, but there D was amazing. Fran please watch a ton of Nova tape and emulate it--on D at least. I love b-ball and have watched a ton in my life, but I have never seen a team shrink the court like Nova did all tournament, I think it would take me a while to figure out how to coach it to the 5th graders I am working with. Help me with a list of fundamentals here.

1. Every Position should know how to guard every position (Nova'd Bigs were on guards and there guards were on bigs, and it didn't seam to matter)
2. Switch everything (Leads from #1 usually puts defense in a bind, but not in Novas case)
3. Get under your guy, when they shoot don't give them room to come down (I don't like that this is allowed to happen, but it is nowadays)
4. Try to keep the ball on one side of the floor ( was amazed how well they accomplished this against great competition even)
5. Make the offense overthink every possession (I couldn't count the # of times UNC could have just driven the ball to the hoop and never did until the end of the game)
6.?

Of course everyone loves Jay Wright now, but this can't be some sort of anomaly. If he goes back to gagging high seeds people will flip on him quick just ask Bill Self.

I like Fran just fine, but he needs to read the Jay Wright book on coaching D. I watched Nova all tournament and there ability to play team D and each player knowing the scout is amazing. He deserved the coach of the year fo SHO! Yeah it helped that there shooting % was nuts, but there D was amazing. Fran please watch a ton of Nova tape and emulate it--on D at least. I love b-ball and have watched a ton in my life, but I have never seen a team shrink the court like Nova did all tournament, I think it would take me a while to figure out how to coach it to the 5th graders I am working with. Help me with a list of fundamentals here.

1. Every Position should know how to guard every position (Nova'd Bigs were on guards and there guards were on bigs, and it didn't seam to matter)
2. Switch everything (Leads from #1 usually puts defense in a bind, but not in Novas case)
3. Get under your guy, when they shoot don't give them room to come down (I don't like that this is allowed to happen, but it is nowadays)
4. Try to keep the ball on one side of the floor ( was amazed how well they accomplished this against great competition even)
5. Make the offense overthink every possession (I couldn't count the # of times UNC could have just driven the ball to the hoop and never did until the end of the game)
6.?

6. The most impressive thing Nova did on D not only in this game but in the tournament was pressure the ball to not allow post entries. A post player on UNC would have a guy sealed for an easy 2, but the guy defending the ball would make the entry pass near impossible by pressuring and having active hands.

Everybody thinks you're a great coach when you win. Next year he'll be back to being a bum again.

7. Don't be afraid to call timeout with seconds remaining in the half or the game to set up the winning play, hopefully one the players on your team have practiced and can execute with precision.

Never accept anything less than best effort. Instill in your guys that they own every part of that court, that the other team is going to suffer for playing you and, most importantly, they will NEVER out work you and never defeat you.

In other words, play like men, not like puhssies.

Not gonna lie, I already had the thought about Nova taking that time out and setting up the final play. That right there shows how well Nova had UNC scouted. They knew UNC bigs would be in the lane to defend the drive and used it to there advantage. I remember McCaffrey taking a timeout at Illinois towards the end of the game to run a play for Uhtoff who was inbounding the ball, worked perfectly IA scored and game over basically. It just seemed towards the end of the year those brilliant moments of great scouting were gone as well. Look back at Novas record with Jay Wright this is not an anomaly they don't get recruits the way UNC does he is a good coach, not just because of this one win. Where was Nova before Wright took the job compared to the last 5 years.

Look back at Novas record with Jay Wright this is not an anomaly they don't get recruits the way UNC does he is a good coach, not just because of this one win. Where was Nova before Wright took the job compared to the last 5 years.

Nova under Jay Wright...

2002 - NIT
2003 - NIT
2004 - NIT
2005 - Sweet 16
2006 - Elite 8
2007 - NCAA 1st round loss
2008 - Sweet 16
2009 - Final 4
2010 - NCAA 2nd round loss
2011 - NCAA 1st round loss
2012 - 13-19 record and no postseason
2013 - NCAA 1st round loss
2014 - NCAA 2nd round loss
2015 - NCAA 2nd round loss
2016 - NCAA Champions

The 1st three years were NIT. Four out of the next 5 years were Sweet 16 or better. The next 7 years there was no Sweet 16 and 1 year with a losing record. This year is a National Championship.

Look at Bo Ryan's numbers and they are similar. He was in the NCAA every year. He went to the Sweet 16 four times and the Elite 8 once in his first 10 years. His final 2 years he was in the Final 4 and the National Championship game.

So it took Wright (a very good coach) 15 years to win a championship. It took Ryan (a very good coach) 12 years to make it to the championship game.

So is it fair to judge Fran after 6 seasons? Are Iowa fans patient enough to let Fran go through the ups and downs before the team with great chemistry and talent makes a deep run? I guess the good news (for those of us that think Fran can do it) is fans won't be deciding. And I think the administration is going to give him some time.

Nova under Jay Wright...

2002 - NIT
2003 - NIT
2004 - NIT
2005 - Sweet 16
2006 - Elite 8
2007 - NCAA 1st round loss
2008 - Sweet 16
2009 - Final 4
2010 - NCAA 2nd round loss
2011 - NCAA 1st round loss
2012 - 13-19 record and no postseason
2013 - NCAA 1st round loss
2014 - NCAA 2nd round loss
2015 - NCAA 2nd round loss
2016 - NCAA Champions

The 1st three years were NIT. Four out of the next 5 years were Sweet 16 or better. The next 7 years there was no Sweet 16 and 1 year with a losing record. This year is a National Championship.

Look at Bo Ryan's numbers and they are similar. He was in the NCAA every year. He went to the Sweet 16 four times and the Elite 8 once in his first 10 years. His final 2 years he was in the Final 4 and the National Championship game.

So it took Wright (a very good coach) 15 years to win a championship. It took Ryan (a very good coach) 12 years to make it to the championship game.

So is it fair to judge Fran after 6 seasons? Are Iowa fans patient enough to let Fran go through the ups and downs before the team with great chemistry and talent makes a deep run? I guess the good news (for those of us that think Fran can do it) is fans won't be deciding. And I think the administration is going to give him some time.

I like Fran and DO NOT want to see him leave, I also have a lot of respect for how Nova plays D. You also can't ignore Iowa's propensity for late season/late game collapses. If Fran can evolve into a Bo Ryan or Jay Wright in defensive terms Iowa will be a tough out.

I like Fran and DO NOT want to see him leave, I also have a lot of respect for how Nova plays D. You also can't ignore Iowa's propensity for late season/late game collapses. If Fran can evolve into a Bo Ryan or Jay Wright in defensive terms Iowa will be a tough out.

Iowa doesn't have a problem with late season collapses. They have problems not choking when the pressure is on. Fran's 4 years where there was no pressure late in the season were all strong finishes. His 2 years where we got in the top 10 and the media started discussing us as final 4 teams, they choked.

I guess Fran did out-coach Lon Kruger and the Miami coach because we got blown out by less than they did. So Fran can hang his hat on that.

I guess Fran did out-coach Lon Kruger and the Miami coach because we got blown out by less than they did. So Fran can hang his hat on that.

I can't remember the last time I saw a team quit the way Oklahoma did. The last 12 minutes of that game they were completely apathetic.

Latest posts