Jay Higgins is a beast

CP87

Minnesota did a nice job in the first half of keeping Iowa in their 4-3 with 12 personnel, and then exploiting a TE on LB or RB on LB matchup.

Early in the 2nd half Minnesota had a big 3rd down. They went back to this strategy, and split their RB (#1, Darius Taylor) to the top of the screen. Iowa was in man, and Higgins had to follow him all the way out to the sideline. At the snap, Taylor rubbed under the up-route and started sprinting across the field. I thought it was game over at this point, how could we expect our MLB to chase a receiver through a rub and all the way across the field? Turns out, no need to be concerned. Higgin was in his hip pocket the whole way, and he was able to break up the pass (with a little help from a pass put on the back hip by the MN QB).

I will try to share a video if I can find one.

What an unbelievalbe run of LB play we have had over the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Josey Jewel to Jack Campbell to Jay Higgins has been a really good run.

When Iowa was in their 4-3 alignment, Minnesota isolated Fisher and went after him and they had success doing it. Credit to Phil for making the halftime adjustment.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone understand what Phil is doing with the single high safety look?

He did it late in the ISU game and he did it during a first half stretch against Minnesota. I’m not sure if he is experimenting or just flat out arrogance.

Press coverage isn’t what Iowa does, but it feels like Phil is trying to evolve.

I dunno, my rambling nonsense is over.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone understand what Phil is doing with the single high safety look?

He did it late in the ISU game and he did it during a first half stretch against Minnesota. I’m not sure if he is experimenting or just flat out arrogance.

Press coverage isn’t what Iowa does, but it feels like Phil is trying to evolve.

I dunno, my rambling nonsense is over.
I think Iowa is having issues with zone assignments on the deep ball.

Latest posts