Jared Ebert

Don't forget about Yanda. He was a JUCO.

Honestly I'm a little perplexed that they haven't offered this kid. A JUCO with his size is more of a "known quantity" and I think is a safer bet than some gangly freshman St Bernard puppy type of recruit that may NEVER grow into his paws.

I think that plenty of it has to do with timing, the depth we already have, and how we're sitting with other recruits. Besides, just because a guy is an animal at the JUCO level on the DL doesn't mean that he'll do the same at the D1 level. Forgy was an All-American JUCO guy too ... and he's likely going to just be a backup in 2011.

Anyhow, take a gander at our 2011 depth at DT:

Daniels (SR)
Nardo (SR)
Bigach (JR)
Covert (SO)
Davis (RS FR)
Trinca-Pasat (RS FR)
Ferguson (RS FR)

If Ebert can't give it a go as early as this spring, then there's little chance that he'll know the D well enough to be a contributer on the depth chart. If that ends up being the case, our talented underclassmen should then be MORE than up to speed by the 2012 season. Thus, what does that then tell you about the cost-benefit ratio here to give him a 'ship?

Lastly, if you look long term, it also pays to have young guys in the program who can then step up in a few years. If Iowa can land a high-quality DT recruit out of high school from the 2011 class, then that give us a little added insurance in the future if we need to move LTP back over to DE or if Davis ends up being a better fit on the OL.

Anyhow, methinks that many fans here are simply getting their panties too much in a bunch just because a kid is getting a lot of offers ... and we're not one who has yet offered.

Recruiting isn't about the offer list that the kid has ... it's also about our RECRUITING NEEDS at the time AND how well the guy fits our program.

Anyhow, methinks that many fans here are simply getting their panties too much in a bunch just because a kid is getting a lot of offers ... and we're not one who has yet offered.

Recruiting isn't about the offer list that the kid has ... it's also about our RECRUITING NEEDS at the time AND how well the guy fits our program.

Can't disagree, though I don't recall Forgy getting this many offers.

I hear a lot about Alvis but I don't really hear a lot of buzz about the other young guys on the DL. Do you have any info on who is impressing, Homes?

Can't disagree, though I don't recall Forgy getting this many offers.

I hear a lot about Alvis but I don't really hear a lot of buzz about the other young guys on the DL. Do you have any info on who is impressing, Homes?

I haven't heard big buzz about them ... but I know that Johnson and Davis have drawn some positive comments from teammates (although Johnson is at DE). Also, it sounds like Davis at least had been talking big ... something to the effect that he's going to bust his azz so that he'll be the starter in 2011. I doubt that it happens ... however, if he can prove that he's game-ready ... the coaches won't refrain from giving our #3 DT reps.

Spud has had some pretty nice things to say about Covert on the DL ... and Nardo is a guy who is an upperclassman who has really worked himself solidly into the picture.

However, all the above said ... I believe that if Ebert can get his credit-hours squared away so that he can hit campus this spring .... I really wouldn't be surprised if the coaches do take a chance on him.

How's that dline depth look if say Daniels gets hurt early and is out for the season? Real real bad.

I think everyone on here knows that IF Iowa did offer Ebert, homer would quickly create a post explaining to him how he could come in and have an opportunity to contribute right away. LOL

I think everyone on here knows that IF Iowa did offer Ebert, homer would quickly create a post explaining to him how he could come in and have an opportunity to contribute right away. LOL

I've already stated that Ebert would have his best shot of contributing right away if he's able to practice this spring. Otherwise, he'd likely be too far behind our other guys.

And, NO, if Iowa offers and he's not able to hit campus by spring ... then no, I think that the odds of him being an early contributer are not all that great.

Not all that long ago, we would have jumped at a kid like this, especially considering the other quality offers he has. I think that says very good things about our recruiting lately and our depth.

Or... just for kicks, maybe Kirk is just waiting to see if Wisconsin offer him BEFORE we do. :)

I don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that he's a JUCO prospect because the coaches offered Heiar who also goes to IWCC, therefore theres a better reason such that the depth at DT next year is solid or they feel better with someone else, or a personal issue. Either way he's a Duck now.

Latest posts