James Franklin 5 minute damage control video on faking injuries

Nobody booed the first 3 injuries that looked legit it was the 4, 5, 6, with the guys all walking off looking very much able to continue. I read on their home paper most of the injuries were minor and the players returned to the game. I also think the booing on the kick was because they didn't hold the ball until they were forced to on the third attempt. Anybody could see it needed to be held. Not really a need to boo but fans were ready to go. Now I have only heard of two players with serious injury so I might have faulty information. I think Kirk using the actual codewords that are used might have really ruffled someone's feathers.

He kept going on and on about his “captain”, his defensive tackle. Ok so perhaps we shouldn’t have boo’d him but what about the players who went down over nothing and went right back in the game? Hell that’s what got the booing started!

Booing about the tee thing, GROW UP! Maybe we think your uniforms are ugly! Is it ok to boo that or is it gonna hurt your feelings? Hell I’ll boo ya just for being the head football coach of the most disgusting football program in history.

He had 4 days to come up with reasons not to fake injuries. I'd think he could have come up with better excuses than that. Maybe I shouldn't call them excuses...more like lies.

--DT that he said got booed didn't get booed because he was the first one hurt.
--Basically, he said that some got hurt, therefore, no one faked.
--Another got hurt on September 4th, so he wasn't faking.
--He also didn't mention #17 who caused Levar to flop.
--Their starting tailback went down, a guy with 11 carries on the year.
--He said Iowa doesn't run an up-tempo offense, so they wouldn't fake injuries. It's never been about that. It's about stopping momentum.

Franklin needs to be hazed.

Last edited:
I have heard contradicting versions of whether Mustifer was booed, he was the first PSU player hurt at 13:12 in the 1Q. So I just played my recording of the game to check.

You can hear a small smattering of boos while Mustifer was on the ground, but not its not as loud as the boos later in the game. This is probably why there is confusion on whether he was booed or not.

5 minute response to Kirk... Sounds like someone's living in Franklin's head rent free. I realize I like Franklin less and less every time he opens his mouth. Good thing they've got a bye week so he and the fanbase can focus on this the remainder of the week and then get ready for their next game when he's done crying.

If I were him I'd stop defending myself and my program and turn the focus to my backup QB who looked like he's never played a day of football in his life, but that's just me. Innocent people don't go on and on defending themselves. It's the one's that can't put it in the past and keep trying to reason, justify, or convince people that they are clean, that are the shady ones.

I have heard contradicting versions of whether Mustifer was booed, he was the first PSU player hurt at 13:12 in the 1Q. So I just played my recording of the game to check.

You can hear a small smattering of boos while Mustifer was on the ground, but not its not as loud as the boos later in the game. This is probably why there is confusion on whether he was booed or not.
The boos were way, way louder in the stadium than on tv.

I've watched the broadcast twice now start to finish, and you could definitely hear it more in person. The very first time the ball fell off the tee the boos were really loud in Kinnick, but you can't really hear it on TV much. Long story short I don't think TV is a good gauge for it. They were way louder than what it seems like on the broadcast.

If I were him I'd stop defending myself and my program and turn the focus to my backup QB who looked like he's never played a day of football in his life, but that's just me. Innocent people don't go on and on defending themselves. It's the one's that can't put it in the past and keep trying to reason, justify, or convince people that they are clean, that are the shady ones.
I've been telling people this since the game when they talk about Clifford.

Franklin and PSU fans love to make that their excuse when...

1) Our guy knocked his ass out of the game with a 100% clean, no helmet involved, above the waist and below the shoulders hit. That's fucking football, James. As long as there's no hit to the head area, extremities or dirty hits to the knees, your goal should be to hit someone hard. Hard enough to intimidate them. That's not bad luck by Penn State, that's a beautiful old school football play by Iowa. If your guy can't absorb a clean hit, that's his problem and we win that battle in the war. Jack Campbell put a Mack truck in his ribs and he couldn't continue. Again, that is us winning one of the small but crucial battles in the war. Not luck.

2) It's also not back luck by Penn State because Franklin apparently can't recruit more than one decent quarterback, or his staff can't develop a guy worth a shit. Roberson has been in the program for THREE YEARS and he looked like you put a high school freshman out there. When you false start 3 times in a row trying to go on a clap count, then do it AGAIN on the next series, that's bad coaching and bad preparation. Stop trying to paint it as bad luck, James.

I am a lawyer and I have read what Franklin said twice. He is coy and I would tear him up in a deposition with what he says. The media keeps saying he is "pushing back" and denying. Not really. He never actually comes out and says they were not faking. He says things like why would we do that? They huddle. Have you ever seen us do that before?

That's not a denial. Just because you haven't done it before and just because you don't have the usual reason for doing it does not mean you didn't do it, dickhead.

I think the Big10 should force KF and Franklin onto a skype call and replay each injury where there was a boo and have them defend their position. Let's get this sorted out. :)

Nobody booed the first 3 injuries that looked legit it was the 4, 5, 6, with the guys all walking off looking very much able to continue. I read on their home paper most of the injuries were minor and the players returned to the game. I also think the booing on the kick was because they didn't hold the ball until they were forced to on the third attempt. Anybody could see it needed to be held. Not really a need to boo but fans were ready to go. Now I have only heard of two players with serious injury so I might have faulty information. I think Kirk using the actual codewords that are used might have really ruffled someone's feathers.
I was at the game too and agree 100%. One thing I found strangely odd is that the ball was blown off the tee for them multiple times, but never when Iowa kicked off the whole day.

Franklin's point about using it to slow a "huddle team" down is moot. It's not about slowing the team down. It's about killing momentum & rhythm and the resulting 3-4 minute break in play definitely does that. Anyone that's ever watched football knows momentum and rhythm are definitely a thing.

I'm loving that the video is getting lots of thumbs down.

Last edited:

Latest posts