Jake Kelly - ACL

Agreed. I was hoping Jake would be able to have a good year. Let's hope he can recover for the future.

I was not hoping he would have a great season, however I did not want him to get hurt. Luckily he will be able to spend time with his family as he recovers.

Is there something wrong with wanting Jake Kelly the best after leaving the program?

No, but at the same time, he bailed on Iowa...so why should we care? Why should we root for him and wish him well?
Do y'all hope the ex-girlfriends who dumped you marry nice rich guys and live happily ever after?!?

Mind you, I'm not saying we should do the opposite and wish him ill. I just think: he's gone. So get gone and stay gone.

Thankfully, the Tyler Smith threads have died out.
Get it?

I guess I don't see it as bailing with the circumstances that he went through. I think our coach went to bat for Jake to be able to transfer and play right away at Indiana State, so I feel a bit differently than I do for players that transfer for more playing time. Same with Tyler Smith. Now, if we are playing against them in a game, I want the Hawks to beat their team.

And yeah, I don't wish ill will to any ex-girlfriends even if they married a poor guy and don't live happily ever after. :)

I guess I don't see it as bailing with the circumstances that he went through. I think our coach went to bat for Jake to be able to transfer and play right away at Indiana State, so I feel a bit differently than I do for players that transfer for more playing time. Same with Tyler Smith. Now, if we are playing against them in a game, I want the Hawks to beat their team.

And yeah, I don't wish ill will to any ex-girlfriends even if they married a poor guy and don't live happily ever after. :)

I've said this before and I'm sure someoen will make me say it again but it was 100% basketball related. If the kid wanted to go home to be with his family we would of done it when his mom died. That said I can't dog him for wanting to get as far away from Lickliter as possible.

Just to add on, if he wanted to be closer to his family he would have played at IUPUI or Butler which are both just a few minutes away from Carmel. Currently he lives 2 hours away from his family. Imagine driving from Iowa City to the far side of Des Moines to have dinner and embrace your loved ones on a daily basis after you study, practice and have a normal college life....just isn't going to happen. He probably sees his family a few more times than he would if he stayed at Iowa but not as much as you want to believe.

Same goes for Tyler Smith. Many other programs are much closer to his family than Tennessee. These were family AND basketball related moves. I feel sorry for both kids losing parents but at the same time, they left their basketball families in the lurch.

Just to add on, if he wanted to be closer to his family he would have played at IUPUI or Butler which are both just a few minutes away from Carmel. Currently he lives 2 hours away from his family. Imagine driving from Iowa City to the far side of Des Moines to have dinner and embrace your loved ones on a daily basis after you study, practice and have a normal college life....just isn't going to happen. He probably sees his family a few more times than he would if he stayed at Iowa but not as much as you want to believe.

Same goes for Tyler Smith. Many other programs are much closer to his family than Tennessee. These were family AND basketball related moves. I feel sorry for both kids losing parents but at the same time, they left their basketball families in the lurch.
From what I remember, Jake's dad lives in Terra Haute which is where Indiana State is. So, I think that may have had a part in it. I could be wrong, but I tend to believe what the kid said when he was transferring.

I've said this before and I'm sure someoen will make me say it again but it was 100% basketball related. If the kid wanted to go home to be with his family we would of done it when his mom died. That said I can't dog him for wanting to get as far away from Lickliter as possible.
Sorry, I just don't happen to agree with you on this. I guess the pain hits different people at different times and for different reasons. I tend to believe someone when they decide to make a change and mention family and the current coach is supportive of the change. I guess I will continue to be naive.

You are correct, his dad does live in Terra Haute I didn't know that so my apologies to him. I've read many quotes from his transfer and as much as he tries to keep things close to his vest, he also made it pretty clear that he wanted to play with his friends and his personality meshed better with the ISU staff than Iowas staff. Greg Lansing is a coach at ISU although Noodles and alford are credited with Kelly's recruitment at Iowa.

No, but at the same time, he bailed on Iowa...so why should we care? Why should we root for him and wish him well?
Do y'all hope the ex-girlfriends who dumped you marry nice rich guys and live happily ever after?!?

Mind you, I'm not saying we should do the opposite and wish him ill. I just think: he's gone. So get gone and stay gone.

Thankfully, the Tyler Smith threads have died out.
Get it?

Not really seing your point here....

Are you saying if my girlfriend's mother dies and she decides she wants to move back home to be closer to family and we break up because I can't go that I should not want good things for her or be happy if her new life turns out well?

Yes HawkIReighn.

People can say it was not basketball related all they want. But if we had a team that was picket to win the Big Ten going into the season he would not have transferred to Indiana State. So that means it WASN'T completely unrelated to hoops.

Wrong 12345

Jake grew up with his mom in Carmel. His dad and most of his dad's family was in and around Terre Haute.

Last edited:

Latest posts