Jack Nunge

Only had 3 points vs Miny, but 10 rebounds in 17 minutes. A gritty performance. The kid is a warrior
Agreed! He doesn't look confident at all on the offensive end, but the effort is there and it's showed up defensively. He made a few nice defensive stops today and, like you said, was an absolute beast on the boards.

Hopefully he can get it going again offensively, we'll need him to step up big time next year post-Garza.

Poor Keegan came back down to earth a bit today - he's still a freshman, it'll be good for him in the long run!

I'm OK when Jack is in the game. I think his shots will start falling at a higher percentage. I'm guessing he's hitting those shots in practice and that's why he's taking them in the games.

We don't need Nunge to really score much. If he grabs 10 boards and plays good interior defense while Garza is getting a breather we'll be fine IMO. Anything he adds offensively is just bonus. What is great about this team is we've shown we can win with a different hot hand (other than Garza as we know he's a given each night) every game. JBO was fire last night with Joe W. Murray was hot the game before, etc. We will have a game soon where CJ lights it up and is the 2nd leading scorer behind Garza. The guys don't seem to mind who gets the points which is key to how deep of run we make.

It was nice to see Nunge down low rebounding and causing shots to be altered. When he's firing away from long range and not hitting those I cringe. At 6' 11'' I would think he would be more effective down low on the offensive glass scoring on put backs and low post moves. He received a nice pass down low yesterday from someone and he was somewhat in a funky position and missed it. From that spot where he caught it he must not be athletic enough to gather himself and throw it down. Perhaps he can develop some of the footwork needed to be more Garza like down low.

That shot that he did make when he made it was pretty big too. He had a great game for him and what's asked of him. He didn't force a bunch of shots like he can be sometimes be prone to. He played very well

While Nunge will never be Garza, I can't imagine a better way to grow your game then to watch the work ethic of, and bang against in practice, the best college center in a decade. As a starter next season, I expect Nunge to be above average for the conference. A normal ,good center. Maybe even like a 12 point, 3 blocks, 8 boards type. While we are spoiled with Garza, having Nunge at that level next year will be great.

Next year we'll be wishing Jack could play like Luka but let's leave that until next year.
Yes, we will want him to play like the best player in all of college basketball. We would also like the Joes, CJ, and CMac to be that good too.

Let's try not to become one of those spoiled fan bases.

Last edited:

Latest posts