J Ogundele's recruitment

I don't claim to be an NCAA recruiting rules guru but I remember an instance from a couple years ago where an Ohio State DE recruit who had verbaled, a 5 star I think, was shown in a picture with Kirk Herbstreit and another famous ex Ohio St football player. The NCAA got involved and ruled that the kid couldn't attend Oho St because of improper recruiting due to the picture and the kid ended up at Penn St.

So, in reading this article and how involved Gabe Olesani was I wondered about how involved an ex player could be in someone's recruitment? Gabe was clearly recruiting for Iowa but he was also helping with life decisions and the challenges of moving to a new country and making a life there. Anyone understand the rules well enough to know how this works?

I, too, look forward to seeing Josh being a Hawk and seeing what he can do. I want to see how he matches up with the X man in Ames.

Then I start wondering how Joe T might match up with DJ, if he ends up in Ames, or how Aaron would do, or maybe we put a bigger guard, like Tony, on him. Oh well, with all the time at home these are the kinds of thoughts I have.

I don't claim to be an NCAA recruiting rules guru but I remember an instance from a couple years ago where an Ohio State DE recruit who had verbaled, a 5 star I think, was shown in a picture with Kirk Herbstreit and another famous ex Ohio St football player. The NCAA got involved and ruled that the kid couldn't attend Oho St because of improper recruiting due to the picture and the kid ended up at Penn St.

So, in reading this article and how involved Gabe Olesani was I wondered about how involved an ex player could be in someone's recruitment? Gabe was clearly recruiting for Iowa but he was also helping with life decisions and the challenges of moving to a new country and making a life there. Anyone understand the rules well enough to know how this works?

I, too, look forward to seeing Josh being a Hawk and seeing what he can do. I want to see how he matches up with the X man in Ames.

Then I start wondering how Joe T might match up with DJ, if he ends up in Ames, or how Aaron would do, or maybe we put a bigger guard, like Tony, on him. Oh well, with all the time at home these are the kinds of thoughts I have.

I don't see any issue with Gabe helping a fellow Brit out. Plus Gabe isn't remotely famous unlike Herbstreit and whoever the famous ex-OSU player was.

I would put a ton of money down that Carton does NOT end up at ISU. I would be shocked if he did. My best guess would be Nebraska or UNI.

This really piques my interest. Gonna keep a close eye on this kid. Gotta feeling he is gonna be a big time player in a few years.

How can you not root for that kid after reading that? How about his Mom too. Shipping your baby across the pond by himself pretty much has to be tough. After having lost her husband no less. I love that Gabe O reached out. There's no doubt that helped influence him. I hope he enjoys his time in IC and continues to develop. Hopefully playing with Garza next yr his work ethic will rub off on him and we'll get to see how high his ceiling is too. That last quote from him hit me right in the face. He's got a fan in me plain and simple.
“Everyone sacrificed for me,” he said. “I have to make it; I don’t have a choice.”

Wouldn't it depend on if Fran put Olaseni up to do it or if GO did it on his own accord? Seems like if Gabe did it on his own, that should be OK.

Wouldn't it depend on if Fran put Olaseni up to do it or if GO did it on his own accord? Seems like if Gabe did it on his own, that should be OK.
Former players influence recruits all the time don't they? Especially on Twitter I would bet. Be a pretty tough thing to police. Herby is probably considered a booster to OSU on top of his ESPN ties. I could see that being a bit of a conflict. He's more then just a former QB to them and I don't think anyone would pretend different. What Gabe O did was one would hope he would. He trailblazed a path for himself in IC. Loved it and wanted to let another Londoner know he might enjoy it in IC too and he'd be an ear for him to ask questions to. That's how a lot of recruiting is done I bet.

I don't see any issue with Gabe helping a fellow Brit out. Plus Gabe isn't remotely famous unlike Herbstreit and whoever the famous ex-OSU player was.

I would put a ton of money down that Carton does NOT end up at ISU. I would be shocked if he did. My best guess would be Nebraska or UNI.

Illinois and Indiana are my guesses. Marquette was also I believe involved until late in the process. I'd be surprised if Carton ended up at UNI. I think that's just a rumor that started because it's close to home.

UNI will already be a fun team to watch with both Green and Bowen Born in the backcourt. Also add Carton to the mix and they could and make a nice run in the tournament.

Looks to have the makings of a really good big. Wonder if Frank G has an extra bed for him this summer. Luka could use a workout partner!
I said something similar in another thread. It would be great to see him drive down to DCto get started on learning the ropes from the best baller in college basketball this year.

Latest posts