Izzo's thoughts on Lickliter...

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Izzo on Lick: "Be patient with him. Because when a guy has done it somewhere else, and proved he’s been a winner, he’ll be a winner here."

Unfortunately fans may have to be patient with him for AT LEAST 2-3 more years. And I don't know if that will be able to happen. I understand what Izzo is saying but I just don't know if his Butler success will translate in the Big Ten. I couldn't help but notice how frustrated and unenthused Gatens and some other players look lately. They just don't seem interested anymore and feel like maybe more transfers may happen. If so, the "youth" excuse will be in full effect again (4 years in a row). I just don't understand how three straight loosing seasons (a history worst) and yearly attrition is enough to give fans (and opposing coaches) hope for Lickliter.

You've heard Izzo's thoughts and mine, how about yours?

Izzo on Lick: "Be patient with him. Because when a guy has done it somewhere else, and proved he’s been a winner, he’ll be a winner here."

Unfortunately fans may have to be patient with him for AT LEAST 2-3 more years. And I don't know if that will be able to happen. I understand what Izzo is saying but I just don't know if his Butler success will translate in the Big Ten. I couldn't help but notice how frustrated and unenthused Gatens and some other players look lately. They just don't seem interested anymore and feel like maybe more transfers may happen. If so, the "youth" excuse will be in full effect again (4 years in a row). I just don't understand how three straight loosing seasons (a history worst) and yearly attrition is enough to give fans (and opposing coaches) hope for Lickliter.

You've heard Izzo's thoughts and mine, how about yours?

My thoughts on Izzo's quote: Sorry... but it's a little self-serving for Izzo to tell Iowa fans to be patient with Lickliter. To tell your competition to be patient with a struggling coaching (management) team is not a fair evaluation... it's merely self-serving. Now MAYBE things are different in sports, but in business a statement like that would be laughable from your competition.

Ryno - I tend to agree with your thoughts. We'll see what happens. It's very disconcerting to watch what appears to be discontent in the players. When a leader loses their "team" (sports or not) there's not much more you have to offer... IMHO.

Last edited:
Coaches will always back each other. It's a fraternity.

Correct. This is what coaches do. He isn't going to come out and say that Lickliter isn't getting it done, and that he doesn't blame people for being upset. No coach would ever say that.

But to the OP saying we need to be patient for another 2-3 years.. huh? I just can't see that. It doesn't take a good coach 5-6+ years to show progress with the program. It just doesn't. Even Alford took over and went 14-16 his first year, and had us in the NCAA tournament in his second year.

I'm sure Izzo would love for Lickliter to be the coach for as long as he has to play Iowa. At least that way he can add a couple wins to his schedule each year.

It would make my job much easier if I had an opposing coach so bad that I hardly had to prepare for his team. I could play my second team most of the game and get them needed experience and still kick their a$$ without wearing out my first team.

How great is that. Two guaranteed wins in a tough conference, that is a nice break, and getting my first team second team and end of bench players some well needed game-time experience and letting my starters rest....How nice!

Then go to the press conference and tell everyone with a straight face that their fans need patience for a few more years, knowing that if they get rid of that coach, they might actually hire a REAL coach.

Same reason we were cheering for the extension of Tim Brewsters contract.

I keep going back and forth on Lick, and I am now getting to the point where I am concerned about who we will lose at the end of the season if a change is not made.

It is difficult to watch this team play, but yet I like a lot of the players on the team.. they are likable in their own way.. but they are ALL role players.

I don't really know what I think right now... next week I will defend lick... the week after I will come back to this side... I want him to be successful but I don't think he will.

Izzo always had nice things to say about Alford too. Its just a polite thing for coaches to do, and when one is really drowning, it is a bit self serving, as maintaining the guy who cant swim makes winning easier ( from head to head games, to recruiting against a top notch coach who may replace the non swimmer, etc ).

Izzo always had nice things to say about Alford too. Its just a polite thing for coaches to do, and when one is really drowning, it is a bit self serving, as maintaining the guy who cant swim makes winning easier ( from head to head games, to recruiting against a top notch coach who may replace the non swimmer, etc ).

Correct. Izzo backed Alford publically as well. That is just Izzo. The fact is we've now played 4 big 10 ball games and been out of each of them with 15 minutes to go in each game and out of 3/4 before the 2nd half even started.

Correct. Izzo backed Alford publically as well. That is just Izzo. The fact is we've now played 4 big 10 ball games and been out of each of them with 15 minutes to go in each game and out of 3/4 before the 2nd half even started.

Not to nit pick, but it would actually be 2/4. They were up on Purdue by one at half and only down by 8 to MSU. I guess you could say being down by 8 to MSU is out of the game, but I am looking for some positives. Now, Illinois and Minny, no question as to what the outcome would be at half!

Not to nit pick, but it would actually be 2/4. They were up on Purdue by one at half and only down by 8 to MSU. I guess you could say being down by 8 to MSU is out of the game, but I am looking for some positives. Now, Illinois and Minny, no question as to what the outcome would be at half!

Down by 8 might as well be down by 20 because that game was done at half...

Bob Knight is no longer coaching, however I would like to hear his assessment of the Iowa program. You know he would be honest. :)

I have to respectfully disagree. Doing it somewhere else mean exactly that...you had success there. It's not an automatic for success to carry over. Especially for coaches of this caliber.