I’ve come to terms with an 11-man rotation

NikeHawk21

I am not normally a proponent of having that long of a rotation, but it seems sort of inevitable this season. We will likely see 13 guys in these early games but as the rotation settles out, I think 11 can be manageable.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / BE 10 / Baer 5
Wagner 11 / Baer 19 / Nunge 10
Cook 18 / Pemsl 18 / Nunge 4
Garza 20 / Kriener 12 / Cook 8

So that gives us on average:
JBo - 30
Cook - 26
Moss - 25
Baer - 24
Garza - 20
Pemsl - 18
Nunge - 14
Kriener - 12
Wagner - 11
BE - 10
Cmac - 10

Really our top 7 guys would make up nearly 80% of the minutes, which is roughly what our top 7 were last year.

The “bottom 4” guys each bring something a little bit unique to the table. Remember those are just average estimations, but depending on the game their 10-12 minutes might get stretched out to 15-20 minutes. For instance there may be nights where we need Wagner’s defense to slow an opposing team’s top player. Maybe against Purdue and UW we want Kriener out there to pull Haas and Happ away from the basket. I’m sure there will be a couple nights where JBo gets in foul trouble and we will need more Cmac. On the other side there will be nights when the guys in front of them have hot hands and these guys don’t see as much court time.

So is it ideal playing 11? Probably not, but I just don’t know how you could justify keeping any of those guys off the floor. If done correctly I think it can be manageable, with each individual game determining who gets more/less floor time.

I'm just tired of the "top teams rarely have 11 man rotation" argument. Of course they don't since teams in general don't have them.

As long as Iowa uses that 11 man rotation to push the floor and wear down opponents with less depth, I'm fine with it.

I've tried to think of scenarios in which you can get under the 11 man rotation but there's no way that you keep guys like Wagner, Nunge, Pemsl, Kriener & Ellingson.

Wagner- Competitor, Hustler, Rebounder, Energy, good D
Nunge- Already good with mountains of potential
Pemsl- For me, Cordell doesn't really pass the eye test and lacks as much potential due to lack of shooting but how do you argue with averaging 9 Pts per game as a freshman and shooting 61%. I also think he brings some toughness and attitude to the team.
Kriener- I'm convinced this kid is good and may be a shorter type version of Frank Kaminsky with inside/out game.
Ellingson- Shot 47% from 3 last year. He'll have even more offensive weapons around him. What about even a smaller line up of JBo, Ellingson, Moss, Cook Garza. I bet Cook & Garza would like to have that spacing with those 3 shooters on the outside.

The need for Connor is really position based. I think he'll do fine but nothing to get excited about. He's more of a don't hurt you type of player than an impact player which is certainly fine for 10 minutes as a back up PG.

Playing 11 sounds like a really bad idea. Fran needs to learn to trim the fat and give his best guys all the minutes. I think it's going to cost us some games this season.

Kriener, Dailey, Nunge and Uhl. Play your 4 best guards in Connor, Jordan, Ellingson and Moss, your best wing in Baer and your best posts in Cook, Garza, Wagner and Pemsl.
Nunge is 6’11 and pretty skilled. If we know we are going to struggle some with perimeter D, I think we are going to want him to get some minutes at the very least for rim protection. Our coaches have talked plenty about that leading up to the season. For instance he has 4 inches of height on Wagner.

I could see Kriener getting taken out of the rotation, but he just has been playing so well that it would be hard to. Plus his shooting touch from the outside could be very valuable in some games this year.

Kriener, Dailey, Nunge and Uhl. Play your 4 best guards in Connor, Jordan, Ellingson and Moss, your best wing in Baer and your best posts in Cook, Garza, Wagner and Pemsl.

I don't think Nunge is gunna be fat at all. And there's going to be no way to point to rotation size as a reason we lose. You could argue rotation size won us the Purdue game last year because Kriener saved us that day.

Dailey and Uhl aren’t a part of the 11 man rotation so I agree with those 2.

Nunge just shot 6-6 with 16 pts, 9 rebounds.

Nunge is 6’11 and pretty skilled. If we know we are going to struggle some with perimeter D, I think we are going to want him to get some minutes at the very least for rim protection. Our coaches have talked plenty about that leading up to the season. For instance he has 4 inches of height on Wagner.

I could see Kriener getting taken out of the rotation, but he just has been playing so well that it would be hard to. Plus his shooting touch from the outside could be very valuable in some games this year.

Play our four best posts and right now that would be Wagner who's our best defender, Cook, Pemsl and Garza.

Fran needs to go to 6 man rotation. I'm sorry, but Iowa needs to have at least one program that lives in the past. Since our football team skyrocketed into the 21st century, on Saturday, we have no choice but to send the hoops team back.

I am not normally a proponent of having that long of a rotation, but it seems sort of inevitable this season. We will likely see 13 guys in these early games but as the rotation settles out, I think 11 can be manageable.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / BE 10 / Baer 5
Wagner 11 / Baer 19 / Nunge 10
Cook 18 / Pemsl 18 / Nunge 4
Garza 20 / Kriener 12 / Cook 8

So that gives us on average:
JBo - 30
Cook - 26
Moss - 25
Baer - 24
Garza - 20
Pemsl - 18
Nunge - 14
Kriener - 12
Wagner - 11
BE - 10
Cmac - 10

Really our top 7 guys would make up nearly 80% of the minutes, which is roughly what our top 7 were last year.

The “bottom 4” guys each bring something a little bit unique to the table. Remember those are just average estimations, but depending on the game their 10-12 minutes might get stretched out to 15-20 minutes. For instance there may be nights where we need Wagner’s defense to slow an opposing team’s top player. Maybe against Purdue and UW we want Kriener out there to pull Haas and Happ away from the basket. I’m sure there will be a couple nights where JBo gets in foul trouble and we will need more Cmac. On the other side there will be nights when the guys in front of them have hot hands and these guys don’t see as much court time.

So is it ideal playing 11? Probably not, but I just don’t know how you could justify keeping any of those guys off the floor. If done correctly I think it can be manageable, with each individual game determining who gets more/less floor time.

you might be a bit generous with Moss and a bit stingy on Pemsl, but I think overall, you're on it. But things will be fluid. If we start clicking with JBo at the 2 and CMac at pg, we might utilize that more. Or, our bigs take off, we might have Garza, Cook, Pemsl, Nunge and Kriener see more combos on the floor at the same time. That's the beauty of have 11. Hell, I wouldn't right off Maishe Daily.

Play our four best posts and right now that would be Wagner who's our best defender, Cook, Pemsl and Garza.
Wagner is set to play some on the wing, which is the best spot for his defensive skill set to be used.

So what you are saying is that Garza, Cook, and Pemsl would be getting a ton of minutes in the post. That would mean big minutes with the Cook/Pemsl frontline that many people said was an issue last year due to their lack of shooting ability.

Wagner is set to play some on the wing, which is the best spot for his defensive skill set to be used.

So what you are saying is that Garza, Cook, and Pemsl would be getting a ton of minutes in the post. That would mean big minutes with the Cook/Pemsl frontline that many people said was an issue last year due to their lack of shooting ability.

Yep play our best guys a ton of minutes. That's the winning formula there. I don't buy the lack of shooting ability either, at the end of the year we were doing just fine offensively and we were starting Cook and Wagner together and neither can shoot.

Not me and why? because Fran has yet to show me he knows how to work one with success.. I can’t tell you how many times Fran has had the wrong combination of players on the court for to long that stole all our momentum.. it’s happened to much..

Yep play our best guys a ton of minutes. That's the winning formula there. I don't buy the lack of shooting ability either, at the end of the year we were doing just fine offensively and we were starting Cook and Wagner together and neither can shoot.
I have Nunge in my top 7 players on Iowa this year. Normally I prefer a tighter rotation but just don’t see how it is possible this year. I think almost every guy in my 11 brings something unique to the table.

But I would also add that 10 minutes a game is really not much for Ellingson and Cmac. In essence they would just be spelling the starter for a few minutes each half.

I have Nunge in my top 7 players on Iowa this year. Normally I prefer a tighter rotation but just don’t see how it is possible this year. I think almost every guy in my 11 brings something unique to the table.

But I would also add that 10 minutes a game is really not much for Ellingson and Cmac. In essence they would just be spelling the starter for a few minutes each half.

Who is he better than? Bohannon, Moss, Baer, Cook, Ellingson, Wagner, Pemsl and Garza have all started games for Fran so that's eight players right there.

Latest posts