It's too bad Basabe is a freshman this year...

KKHawk1

because the way that he is playing right now, he would have a great shot at Freshman of the Year. But with Sullinger from OSU almost averaging a double-double...he is going to run away and hide with it. If Sullinger wins overall Player of the Year does he vacate the Freshman of the Year, or is that implied?

Basabe is going to be an excellent player. Heck, he's already pretty good. He needs to work on his FT"s though.

Next year, we should be a much improved team with more experience and more new faces.

Of course, in previous years, players would leave the program, and the following year, we were saying the same thing - "Can't wait until he's an upper-classman!" We were starting over each year under Lickliter's leadership.

Another test for Fran will be to keep the roster together. I believe he will succeed.

I dont see Basabe leaving early for the NBA before his senior year. I also dont see him leaving the program. We haven't seen any defections under Fran, so there's no need to think there will be mass exoduses like the previous regime.

Not saying no one will leave, but to think Iowa will lose players because they've left in the past isn't 100% accurate.

No disrespect, but one game does not make one an early draft pick. Let him develop. He played well against ISU, but 18 Big Ten games will determine where he is as well as the team. The peaks and valleys are harmful, just like what happended in the football season.

Basabee is not going to leave early. I highly doubt anyone on that roster will get drafted. The only way he leaves early is transfer or kicks off team.

To think about how good he could be by the time he's a senior.... this is a guy that is going to single handedly propel Fran to success much faster than expected.

Right now, he is Iowa's best player for this reason: You know what you are going to get from him every night. Effort, rebounds and a low post defensive presence. All three things we have lacked for some time. Effort is contagious and you can see it with the intensity Fran has brought and the effort on every play from Basabe. I am glad to have him this year because he Marble/McCabe/Cartwright will have a year in the program when there will be real opportunity to make a big leap in the B10 standings next year.

Right now, he is Iowa's best player for this reason: You know what you are going to get from him every night. Effort, rebounds and a low post defensive presence. All three things we have lacked for some time. Effort is contagious and you can see it with the intensity Fran has brought and the effort on every play from Basabe. I am glad to have him this year because he Marble/McCabe/Cartwright will have a year in the program when there will be real opportunity to make a big leap in the B10 standings next year.

One other thing he brings: athleticism, making those other elements MUCH more effective. Effort is great regardless. Effort combined with athleticism is golden.

Latest posts