It's the Running Backs Stupid

WinOneThisCentury

In light of the fact that two of our offensive tackles were drafted, one with the 5th pick, and we likely have a guard also (Blythe) that will go in the top 2-3 rounds (if not higher depending on the coming season), how do you explain the abysmal performance of the 2014 running game? We also had a very physical FBs and TEs.

1) Poor Gameplan / Play Calling by the OC
2) Poor offensive line play blocking schemes?
3) Injuries
4) Poor Running Back Performance

Although certainly all had some impact on the eventual result, #4 bears the most responsibility...and it's not even close. The reality is that we didn't have a TB that would start AT TAILBACK anywhere else in the B10. Hell, likely be second team is probably more ACCURATE. I get you have Daniels go down with an injury, then Canzeri gets hurt, but how you go with Weisman at TB as long as we did is ridiculous. Wadley was the only one that showed any of the skill you need to play Division 1 football at the running back position. I get he had an issue with putting the ball on the ground (two lost fumbles in 33 attempts), but when you don't have anyone else who can play...he should have gotten more chances.

People can point to the Rudock-Beathard fiasco and say that was the downfall to the late season swoon. The reality is a decent threat at the running back position would have certainly helped the passing game. We did nothing on the ground in any of the games we lost. Why was Mitchell on the bench at WR all year? How does Wadley get no carries against Nebraska?

KF's conservative nature was on display all year and it's likely put him in a make or break year. Even Barta's got to realize that he's in everyone's top 5 overpaid and underperforming coach's list...and it's only going to get worse. With another 7-6 performance against a very, very favorable schedule...I don't think KF will get 2016.

Latest posts