It's the Recruiting, Stupid!

I wish we still had the thumbs down. You deserve one for not knowing a dumb and dumber reference.
Depending on how old he is he may have not seen those movies. Time is flying by and I bet that original was 30 yrs ago. Then again his parents should be flogged for not making him watch it at some point if so.

and its the OLine recruiting especially. Listen to the WUW podcasts from this week. They zero in on it.

Thanks. What I get from that, is that most people see the same issues. I'm guessing even the current coaching staff. It's weird to say, but feels like they are in over their heads

This is so dumb. Iowa has won over 70% of its games since this original post in 2015.

Iowa has 3 4-stars in the next class, all in the top 215.

Iowa has 31 players on active NFL rosters, 12th in the country.

Iowa's recruiting and player development is fine and probably as good as it has ever been, going all the way back to Hayden's first year at Iowa.

Do we need a new offensive coordinator? I would vote yes on that one.

I would love to know how many of these posts are really Iowa State or Nebraska fans. That is the ongoing problem with a free board.....all of the dumb ass trolls.

This is so dumb. Iowa has won over 70% of its games since this original post in 2015.

Iowa's recruiting and player development is fine and probably as good as it has ever been, going all the way back to Hayden's first year at Iowa.

I would love to know how many of these posts are really Iowa State or Nebraska fans. That is the ongoing problem with a free board.....all of the dumb ass trolls.
Two things can be true at the same time.

Since 2011, Iowa has had one recruit in the ESPN Top 150 / Top 300.
ONE.
Number of B10 schools with more ESPN Top Recruits than Iowa in that same period.
THIRTEEN.
ESPN Top 300: (2011-2023)
2014-Jay Scheel-268
2017-Mark Kelleanburgar-282
2017-AJ Epenesa-94
2019- Tyler Endres-250
2019-Ezra Miller-262
2020-Logan Jones-265
2021-David Davidkov-245
2021-Justice Sullivan-265
2021-Connor Colby-300
2022-Xavier Nwankpa-156
2022-Aaron Graves-185

Iowas o-line has been among the worst in the B1G for more of the last decade than not.

How the hell can you not see that? Jeebus.

Iowas o-line has been among the worst in the B1G for more of the last decade than not.

How the hell can you not see that? Jeebus.
Recruiting stars doesn’t mean everything but I will take my chances with 4 or 5 star recruits over 2 & 3 star recruits all day long . And yes iowa takes 2& 3 star recruits and makes them better but by than their seniors and than they have to start over again.

Recruiting rankings are an in-exact science for sure.

I enjoy following recruiting as much as time allows. My approach has always been to look at it in terms of probabilities - the higher the ranking, the higher percent-chance of success, but it's far from a guarantee.

The one important trait that's not factored in is character. The Iowa staff has been known for years as a staff that will not sacrifice character for flash, and for the most part it has showed. They've still had their misses, but in that area they have succeeded for the most part.

Where the program gets hurt is when the high-character guys that need developing get forced into action prematurely, so the team disproportionately suffers when successful players declare early. We are not a reload program and never will be.

Getting back to the o-line, in fairness losing Wirfs and Linderbaum early hurt, along with losing Davidkof, Britt, Jeff Jenkins and Tyler Elsbury to transfer/retirement, but we've brought in enough recruiting talent to have at least a decent line. The current performance issues, particularly the lack of basic fundamentals, fall back on coaching.

There are about 5 NFL teams that have a good offensive line and maybe another 7 or 8 at power 5 schools, everyone else is dealing with the same patchwork bullshit that Iowa is. It isn’t just a Iowa problem, it is a football problem.

Players on nfl rosters have little to do with team success in college…at least under ferentz. It’s one of the weird things

Latest posts