It's obvious it will not happen

eyekwah

As fans it looked like we had something when this junior class were freshmen. The sophomore season proved otherwise. While the season is just about half over it looks like another repeat of the 2017/2018 conference season. They just are not capable of playing defense at the Big Ten level. Some of it is athletic ability, but it is becoming more obvious that coaching is an even bigger issue.

Unless something unexpected happens and this team is able to crawl its way to 9 conference wins there has to be a discussion about replacing the head coach. The exodus of Baer and Cook after this season and a lowly ranked recruiting class does not offer much hope for the future.

I guess it is just a matter of when the influential alumni say it isn't working and someone else needs to lead the men's basketball program.

latest

Unfortunately, the damn MCP at Iowa has locked out all Men's Basketball Coaching Prospects with Blue Chip level access.

FM has not recruited the talent necessary to be competitive in the conference and his in game coaching is brutal. The slowness of our guards is comical when competing against Power 5 type of opponents. Couple that with the lack of defensive effort, lack of communication, etc and you get this dumpster fire.

At best we play close games at home, win a few, lose all our road games and make the NIT. Maybe. Something to look forward to. I guess.

If we fail to make the dance it will be the second time under Fran we go three straight years of no dance. I don’t see how he would survive that in his 9th year. It would make zero sense to bring him back if that happens.

If Iowa misses the dance this year, 9 million shouldn't be too much to pay to get rid of Fran. It just shouldn't be for a school like Iowa.

Iowa has the talent to compete, the problem is Frans refusal to recruit a true point guard and it's killing them on the defensive side of the ball. Neither JB or Connor could stop Edwards, he was able to blow past them like they were standing still if they defended close and when they didn't he launched 3 pointers.

It's very frustrating to watch.

Iowa has the talent to compete, the problem is Frans refusal to recruit a true point guard and it's killing them on the defensive side of the ball. Neither JB or Connor could stop Edwards, he was able to blow past them like they were standing still if they defended close and when they didn't he launched 3 pointers.

It's very frustrating to watch.
JBo and Connor didn’t Guard Edwards, and Edwards is a shooting guard.

But the point still remains we don’t have the quality backcourt to succeed in this league.

JBo and Connor didn’t Guard Edwards, and Edwards is a shooting guard.

But the point still remains we don’t have the quality backcourt to succeed in this league.

But they guard the perimeter. I'll admit I didn't watch any of the first half, but some of the highlights I saw it was JB trying to cover Edwards. Iowa doesn't have anybody quick enough to stop a good penetrating guard.

I am going with the fact that Garza isn't playing, that it is no coincidence that defense dropped off after he was injured. If not that, then this will be an NIT season at best. Ugh.

Everyone and their brother knew this Iowa team that lost 14 league games last year needed much more help than just Joe W and Connor. We had the scholarships open up to do it.

The problem is Fran didn’t want to risk minutes for Connor by bringing in a transfer at guard. He didn’t want to risk having to sit some of his his guys who have played in the past. Heck he even redshirted Nunge who was one of are better guys last year as a freshman and had the potential to be a quality B1G player.

One of these is not like the other.

In other words I like the talent Iowa has at all positions except the point guard. JB and Connor are fine on the offensive end, its the defensive side and the perimeter defense that's the problem.

If Iowa misses the dance this year, 9 million shouldn't be too much to pay to get rid of Fran. It just shouldn't be for a school like Iowa.
Before last night I'd have said a statement like that wouldn't be necessary/relevant. Now it may be a legit issue. I mean getting rolled over like that is pathetic. And the sad thing is there's pretty much no reason to think it won't continue. It wasn't even just the defense either. Offensively they were so out of sorts at times. They looked like a poorly coached team with little strategy or plan of attack at either end of the floor... Very disappointing to see for sure.

NITs are a waste, especially this for into frans tenure. NIT bids are for rebuilding programs

I took a look at the schedule, I'm not sure Iowa can win enough games to get into the NIT. Damn near every game looks scary, Iowa could easily be 0-7 when hosting Illinois on the 20th with a rematch against MSU afterwards.

Latest posts