It's been 19 years today since Chris Street's death

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
R.I.P. #40.

Your FT streak, as well as your spirit and passion for life and Iowa Basketball, lives on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4yVrxWQxGM]1993 Iowa basketball - Chris Street's #40 retirement ceremony - YouTube[/ame]

Hard to believe...a day many of us will never forget. Still have the "CMS Forever" posted stored away.

Woke up this morning and discussed this with my son, who is named after him. I was in junior high when it happened and I grew up not too far from the little town he lived in before moving to Indianola. He was truly larger than life to a small town southern Iowa kid growing up with dreams of playing for the Hawks.

I was 9 years old and woke up walked out to the kitchen to eat breakfast and my dad told me about it. A day that I will never forget.

19 years?? My wife and I had just moved into a new house. We were happy and laughing. I still remember those words by Fred Hickman: "Tragic news out of Iowa City......." House was quiet the rest of the night.
Man that was a rough time in Hawkeye hoops history. Wonder what he could have become?

I cried. Grown-*** man, sitting at work with three direct reports around me, and I cried.
Chris WAS Iowa. Smart, tough, strong motor, smiled a lot. That's Iowa, to me. I mean both the state and the University.
Gone way, WAY too soon. :(

The Streets are friends of ours, and Chris died when I was almost three years old. The closest I ever was to him was when he held me as a baby. I still can't shake the feeling that I really missed out on someone great.

Chris was everything that we as Iowan's take pride in. He worked hard, was honest, authentic, had a smile for everybody and lead by example. An exceptional young man...and one of the great Hawkeyes.

I was in basketball practice when coach told everyone, though I can't say I was as emotional as everyone else here.

I don't remember much of his game, the only image I have of him as a player was him guarding the ball at the front of the press. Does anyone think the way he died and who he was as a person elevated his reputation as a player?

I was in basketball practice when coach told everyone, though I can't say I was as emotional as everyone else here.

I don't remember much of his game, the only image I have of him as a player was him guarding the ball at the front of the press. Does anyone think the way he died and who he was as a person elevated his reputation as a player?

Like I said I was 9 when he died so I vaguely remember his game. IIRC, there was talk that Street had the potential to be a Top 20 pick after he was done at Iowa.

He single handedly almost won us the game at Duke and what you mentioned is also my lasting image of Street....harassing the guy inbounding the ball at the front of the press.

I think the opposite. He was a hard-working, stay late after practice type of player. An All-Big Ten caliber player.

The way he died elevated his reputation as person, but not as a player.

I don't remember Chris' death affecting me much, outside of some kid at school walking around making a horrible joke a don't wish to repeat.

However, as an adult, while teaching 5th grade in Des Moines, I took the class to the Iowa Hall of Pride. Being a *****, I started crying at the video they showed before we went inside of the boy remembering playing catch with his dad in the backyard when we is playing a high school game. Then, when I got to the Chris Street display, I started crying again when I read Bob Knight's letter of condolence to his family.

My all time favorite Hawkeye. He was an NBA player, no doubt. Many years in the league type of player. It was my first year out of college. I cried like a baby. Never met Chris but felt like he was my brother. He is Iowa. Up until a few years ago I still coached varsity basketball. I always wore my "CMS40 Give 100% Good things will happen..." t-shirt underneath my dress shirt for big games. Love you, man.
bp

The impression that he and that tragic night left on people all over the state is just incredible. I was in middle school, and I remember wearing socks with #40 on them for basketball games. I didn't know him personally, but it was such a big deal and felt by so many people I felt like I did.

It was a nightmare. The stunning finality of it just left the Hawkeye nation demoralized.

I have to say that Aaron White's game does remind me of Chris. Not as strong or quite as big as Chris,but so many elements are similar. Skilled shooter,ball handler,smart, tough, and tremendous hustler....that was Chris...and Aaron.

Latest posts