It'll be about Connor

oregonhawkeye

Iowa bball next year will be good or bad based on whether whether or not CM is a true B10 PG. If he's in the rotation and sucks then the team will not make the NCAA. There cannot be a repeat of 2018/19.
If he steps up his game, if he has that other level that he was supposed to have potential for and was recruited for, then we have a pretty damned good squad. The other four spots (JB, JW, JN, LG) are more than solid.
He's got the physical traits.

If CM plays more than spot minutes, it's sad at this level. Having 2 nonathletic for B10 guards is one to many. Did I mention he can't shoot outside 15 feet...
He plays like a coaches son (complement) and would be terrific on a D3 team.

Hopefully Toussaint is ready to start because if we add CM AND Pemsl to replace Moss and Cook we're in trouble.

Connor had a role last year, and that role was to take some of the ballhandling pressure off of JBo and set up teammates. He played that role because we simply did not have any other ballhandlers. He did also provide some toughness.

Next year we bring in Joe Toussaint, and add CJF to the mix. Toussaint is a true PG who should be able to handle it, CJF it’s hard to say given Fran’s history.

I’ve always felt Connor is a mid major level player, and nothing he did last year has really changed my stance there. With Iowa bringing on at least one other ball handler, potentially two, I think Connor’s role SHOULD actually diminish. With that said it doesn’t look like that will be the case.

Hopefully Connor can really improve jump shot and improve his defense, which are both possible, because he is going to get minutes, that much is certain.

Fran probably has been hanging on just for the chance to coach his boys, but now it may be his demise.
That looks more and more like what is happening here by the day.

I’m sure Moss inferred he would lose minutes to those two. We now have 10 scholarship players, which includes the two McCaffery boys, even if we wanted to redshirt Pat it doesn’t appear that will be happening.

At times it seems like this was the plan all along. You have to wonder if Francis could see what was coming and got out of there before this thing potentially blows up.

Toussaint is likely the make or break player for this team. CMac isn't going to be any better than he was this past season, and he wasn't very good. If he and Bohannon are our starting guards we are going to get obliterated by opposing teams.

CJ aka Oglesby 2.0 is not going to be an impact player. I would bet a lot of money on that.

It sure seemed like Connor stepped his shooting up later in the year. Can anyone confirm or deny this? He clearly lost confidence throughout the year and you could tell he didnt know if he should shoot it or not. All he needs to do is get that doubt out of his head and he will be in the 30s. I almost wish Connor wouldn't have red shirted. I think he's the main reason for poor pg recruiting and if he was going into his junior year next year it would be a non factor moving forward. As it is, we either need Joe T to be really good or get an instant impact guy for 2020 if we want to compete.

Hopefully Toussaint is ready to start because if we add CM AND Pemsl to replace Moss and Cook we're in trouble.

Toussaint is probably going to play 5-6 minutes per game next season off the bench. He'll have a learning curve and will need to acclimate himself to a lot of things. He's not going to be our savior folks.

Toussaint is probably going to play 5-6 minutes per game next season off the bench. He'll have a learning curve and will need to acclimate himself to a lot of things. He's not going to be our savior folks.
This team has Cement Feet Syndrome (CFS) which is most often exposed by quick teams when Iowa is "trying" to play defense. If Toussaint is quick, like a PG needs to be, if he doesn't play 10-20 minutes, Fran will have Daddy Cement Brain (DCB) Does he want the team to be better or does he use Iowa to provide playing time for his son's development? I like CM because he plays smart and doesn't do a lot of bonehead things. I think he can improve a lot but it won't be in the quickness genre.

This team has Cement Feet Syndrome (CFS) which is most often exposed by quick teams when Iowa is "trying" to play defense. If Toussaint is quick, like a PG needs to be, if he doesn't play 10-20 minutes, Fran will have Daddy Cement Brain (DCB) Does he want the team to be better or does he use Iowa to provide playing time for his son's development? I like CM because he plays smart and doesn't do a lot of bonehead things. I think he can improve a lot but it won't be in the quickness genre.
Your last sentence sums up iowa athletics in a nutshell.

To be determined. Wieskamp played more than 5-6 minutes...as did White, Basabe, Clemmons, Woodbury, etc. as freshmen.

It sure seemed like Connor stepped his shooting up later in the year. Can anyone confirm or deny this? He clearly lost confidence throughout the year and you could tell he didnt know if he should shoot it or not. All he needs to do is get that doubt out of his head and he will be in the 30s. I almost wish Connor wouldn't have red shirted. I think he's the main reason for poor pg recruiting and if he was going into his junior year next year it would be a non factor moving forward. As it is, we either need Joe T to be really good or get an instant impact guy for 2020 if we want to compete.

3pt. shot 6-29 .207(21%)
2pt. shot 29-68 .426(43%)

FT. 73-97 75%

Double check to make sure I have those numbers correct. Once the scouting report was out on him he became a liability on the offensive end. I don't consider CM a scrub, but he was getting scrub like treatment. Teams just quit guarding him. I know at one point he was at 8% from 3, but the sample size is so small it is hard to tell if he actually got better or not.

I think we differ on this. His shot isn't broke, but it is close. His shot starts from the hip and there is no fluidity to it. And I can see that just being a knucklehead fan. His jumper needs work, the kinda work you only get from lots and lots of repetition. I don't see CM as a kid who lacks confidence or is "afraid" I see someone that needs to get into the gym and just work.

Personally, I don't think Connor should try to take on any B10 team by himself. I just don't think he can guard the 5.

All kidding aside. He's got to make a decision on his future. If he wants to be a basketball player, then commit to it. If he wants to be a baseball player, then commit to it. At his age, a guy working in the gym every day and getting better every day is distancing himself from someone fielding grounders and missing curve balls. It's a reality. There are only a handful of athletes in the country who can do both at a high level. Connor, I doubt is one of them. I'm not bagging on him...it's damn near impossible to do well.

Trust me, I have a kid on an AAU club team...none of these guys are working on two sports...they spend all their free time in the gym...and I mean all free time. You can't take a break for months and come back on par with someone who's been improving. It's funny, early mornings (5:30am) my kid wants to just get some shots up...so I go and rebound for him...and every morning we go...there are three of four other kids doing the same thing. A Duke recruit was in the 24 Hour Fitness gym last week...at 5:30am.

Fran and Connor are kidding themselves if they think he can keep up. He's staying level or improving slightly...other kids are moving forward at a faster pace. At his age, at his level, you don't get the time back to improve. It's all about time for these kids and how you spend it.

Personally, I don't think Connor should try to take on any B10 team by himself. I just don't think he can guard the 5.

All kidding aside. He's got to make a decision on his future. If he wants to be a basketball player, then commit to it. If he wants to be a baseball player, then commit to it. At his age, a guy working in the gym every day and getting better every day is distancing himself from someone fielding grounders and missing curve balls. It's a reality. There are only a handful of athletes in the country who can do both at a high level. Connor, I doubt is one of them. I'm not bagging on him...it's damn near impossible to do well.

Trust me, I have a kid on an AAU club team...none of these guys are working on two sports...they spend all their free time in the gym...and I mean all free time. You can't take a break for months and come back on par with someone who's been improving. It's funny, early mornings (5:30am) my kid wants to just get some shots up...so I go and rebound for him...and every morning we go...there are three of four other kids doing the same thing. A Duke recruit was in the 24 Hour Fitness gym last week...at 5:30am.

Fran and Connor are kidding themselves if they think he can keep up. He's staying level or improving slightly...other kids are moving forward at a faster pace. At his age, at his level, you don't get the time back to improve. It's all about time for these kids and how you spend it.

And both of them have to be aware of all this. Am I naive to think that Fran knows what he is doing here?

We've been told that JT is more project than pro at this point. PG is a really tough spot step in as a freshman. So it'd be a surprise if he can get big minutes.
Connor's game will change completely if he can shoot well enough that his man can't sag. That's something that can be fixed over the summer (unlike quicks). He'll never be Chris Paul but he could be an average B10 player- he's tall and strong and has the kind of moxie we're always whining that our guys lack.

Latest posts