It worked out but...

ibahawkeye

Boy I was yelling for us to commit a foul when we were up 3. Paige ended up getting a look at 3 that would have tied it.

I would have preferred the foul.

Anybody else thinking that??

You might as well flip a coin on it. Both strategies backfire from time to time.

I used to be a let it play out guy but I have since flipped.

It just seems to me there are more examples of the 3 to tie falling rather than a free throw and a rebound.

Maybe be that's just my memory though.

I like fouling there myself (although with 8 seconds left, not as much) but I also just watched the Bulls lose a game when they fouled a guy who ended up shooting a three last night (not the most comparable since NBA has continuation and college does not.)

No, as bad as North Carolina was shooting giving them 2 easy free throws would not seem right.

Boy I was yelling for us to commit a foul when we were up 3. Paige ended up getting a look at 3 that would have tied it.

I was yelling the same thing. I thought back to the Syracuse game and what Jim had his players do to us to intentially foul. Fortunately it worked out and the 3 ball did not go down.

I didn't get why Woody called the time out with 1.7 seconds left. Maybe he didn't wanna shoot the free throws? It all worked out in the end.

NO! Heck no. Way too much time remaining and they were shooting with no effectiveness and less confidence. The time you want to foul in those situation is when the ball is being inbounded at the time he loaded up for that shot. Otherwise you give them two automatic points and good odds of them inbounding or rebounding next time down 1 or 2. That's at best 4 seconds for them to take the same look they got, only this time at the winning shot. No thanks.

I didn't get why Woody called the time out with 1.7 seconds left. Maybe he didn't wanna shoot the free throws? It all worked out in the end.

Absolutely. Also he had his back to literally everything on the floor with his toes practically touching the sideline. Nothing good can happen there if he decides to turn around to see what's up.

What I wondered about was why Woody took the timeout with 1.7 seconds left when the clock would have basically run out had he not..Any thoughts on that one?

What I wondered about was why Woody took the timeout with 1.7 seconds left when the clock would have basically run out had he not..Any thoughts on that one?

I wondered that, too, but then I considered:

a) As a big man, he knows he has a better chance of having the ball stripped or stolen and possibly heaved up for a final tying shot than one of the guards.

b) He knows he's going to get hammered and fouled. He knows he's not the best free-throw shooter on the floor and figures a timeout even with two seconds or less left is going to provide the chance to get the ball to his buddy Mikey or Whitey or someone else better at the line.

c) He wanted to give ol' Roy Slimeballs and the TarHeel fans 30 more seconds of agony before the final horn sounded.

d) All of the above.

I'm going to be generous and go with "d."

As in my reply above, he does not know that and it would've been asinine for him to turn around to get a look in the area and situation he was in. Your worst case is inbounding under our basket and they catch it cleanly instead of it getting tipped and draining the clock.

It was a head scratcher. I don't know who had the possession arrow, but maybe it was UNC and Woody was afraid of a held ball?

He would've been fouled with about a second or so left, but worst case scenario, Woody missed both FT's and UNC has to heave the ball the length of the court, hoping for a miracle game-tying hail mary. Call timeout, and Iowa had to get the ball back inbounds again. There could've been a turnover.. Definitely was scratching my had about that timeout.

Was a very smart move by Woody, he knows he not the best FT shooter on the team so as soon as he got it he called for timeout, was brilliant move by very smart player!

Was a very smart move by Woody, he knows he not the best FT shooter on the team so as soon as he got it he called for timeout, was brilliant move by very smart player!

It actually was a smart move that looked dumb because of the exact time left on the clock. If there were 3 seconds left it would have been a good idea. With 1 second left he should have thrown the ball in the air.

I think he just thought if they called the time out, they could inbound and get it in the hands of the guards to shoot the free throws to seal it.

I think this was an incredibly heady play.

I still am convinced a foul to avoid even an attempt at the 3 point shot would have been the right move.

Latest posts