It sucks the big one, but this disappointing home loss, with everything on the line division wise, sums up this sorry season.

7-5 season is a disappointment, and I hope it's a one-off and not the start of a downward spiral for the program. In this age of free agency among college players, changes have to be made. If Kirk rolls along with the status quo I fear there will be a lot of player transfers/decommitments in the next few weeks.

There are so many holes in this roster right now: QB & OL are extremely poor, WR isn't great, LB core will be gutted with Campell & Bensen leaving, and CB is definitely not great.

Iowa needs to replace OL coach (and OC, but that isn't happening), make sure current roster players stay (Xavier, Keagan Johnson, Kaleb Johnson), and ensure Proctor stays committed. Then hit the transfer portal for any QB, OL, WR, LB and CB that can help immediately.

7-5 season is a disappointment, and I hope it's a one-off and not the start of a downward spiral for the program. In this age of free agency among college players, changes have to be made. If Kirk rolls along with the status quo I fear there will be a lot of player transfers/decommitments in the next few weeks.

There are so many holes in this roster right now: QB & OL are extremely poor, WR isn't great, LB core will be gutted with Campell & Bensen leaving, and CB is definitely not great.

Iowa needs to replace OL coach (and OC, but that isn't happening), make sure current roster players stay (Xavier, Keagan Johnson, Kaleb Johnson), and ensure Proctor stays committed. Then hit the transfer portal for any QB, OL, WR, LB and CB that can help immediately.
CB will be fine if Jemari Harris (injured, didn't play this season) returns. He's a confident, fearless player.

DeJean may move to CASH.

As a developmental program, the margin for error has always been razor thin. Despite the "next man up" mantra that echoes from the players and coaches, we simply are not built to withstand injuries and attrition. It caught up with us yesterday, and, let's face it, we've also been a little lucky at times this season. It's a reasonable assertion to point out that we probably came in not as good as our record, and Nebraska came in probably not as bad as theirs.

The one reaction that I don't think is an overreaction, is that yesterday's performance needs to be a nail in the coffin for George Barnett. Brian is not going to be fired, so unless he leaves to be a head coach at a DIII school, he'll be back, but Barnett has proven he cannot develop the O-line. Hell, that one inexplicable play where Plumb (a senior BTW) didn't bother to even look at the DE, and instead was blocking air, is enough evidence. We'll see if Kirk has the stones to send him packing.

Put down the whiskey or put a breathalyzer on your phone. Seriously. You’re the worst, man.

This team lost its best CB right out of the gate, and because the next two guys are also hurt (Harris and Roberts), they had to go to the 5th string true freshman who has never and likely never see the field again. They burned him twice for 14 and the 6th string guy for 7, and we only lost by 7.

Then our starting QB got hurt.

Leading receiver hurt.

A starting OL on an already shaky line out hurt.

You need to take a break for a few days. Take my advice.
All true....and still you need to find a way to suck it up against that trash program, at home, with everything on the line.

Personally, I think Brian had a bad game plan....the ground game was working against them...has all year against that defense....and we come out throwing. And when the ground was working, we abandon it. When we got the fumble in the 4th quarter with 6 mins to go....we don't pound at them. And, if the coaching staff had the insistence to throw, we never seen a deep ball out of Padilla...sans the one that was ruled incomplete on the sidelines late in the game. Maybe that had something to do with our poor line play, but our attack was passively ineffective when it didn't to be.

Last edited:
This game will be quickly forgotten. A 48-13 boat racing next week on a true national stage would have been long remembered. And with no Petras, DeSean or LaPorta it might have been worse than that.
This is the only silver lining I could buy spinning. Still, I don't pass on a chance ever to play for the title. Blown golden chance to win the West and play in the title game....with UCLA and USC coming we might not sniff this chance in a long time...especially if they realign things as expected.

We should be ranting over the things that Kirk preaches-winning the turnover battle (we didn’t) winning special teams (even draw at best) limiting chunk plays (we didn't) and being the mentally tougher team (we weren't)

Those were the disappointing aspects. They weren't the ones with something to play for, we we're. And something just seemed off all day. It reminded me of our opening round loss to Richmond in the NCAA'S last year.
Good comparison to Richmond.

As a developmental program, the margin for error has always been razor thin. Despite the "next man up" mantra that echoes from the players and coaches, we simply are not built to withstand injuries and attrition. It caught up with us yesterday, and, let's face it, we've also been a little lucky at times this season. It's a reasonable assertion to point out that we probably came in not as good as our record, and Nebraska came in probably not as bad as theirs.

The one reaction that I don't think is an overreaction, is that yesterday's performance needs to be a nail in the coffin for George Barnett. Brian is not going to be fired, so unless he leaves to be a head coach at a DIII school, he'll be back, but Barnett has proven he cannot develop the O-line. Hell, that one inexplicable play where Plumb (a senior BTW) didn't bother to even look at the DE, and instead was blocking air, is enough evidence. We'll see if Kirk has the stones to send him packing.
Developmental program is getting tiresome. What teams outside of 5 aren't developmental. It's an excuse

Cheer up, next year promises to be another offensive failure if Brian comes back. Let’s see what kind of moral code Kirk has in him.

Sometimes you just got to laugh at the situation. We have one of the worst offenses in college football and the head coach keeps getting pay raises and extensions.

I assume it was cold in those seats yesterday and 60,000 PLUS fans sitting out there freezing their asses off and paying good money to do it. Hurrah for the Kirk foundation!!! Lol.

Seriously if it were the clones we would all be laughing our asses off at them. It is funny once you see it from Nebraska fans perspective. Sweet revenge for those losers. Even though they took one from us they are still losers and that’s worth a laugh!!!

Developmental program is getting tiresome. What teams outside of 5 aren't developmental. It's an excuse
You could make an argument that every program is a developmental program, but some rely on development more than others.

Looking strictly at the B1G, OSU, Michigan and soon USC and UCLA, and arguably PSU, are programs that reload every season. The rest of the conference relies heavily on development. Some do it better than others. Wisconsin probably has the best track record in that respect.

Whether you think it is tiresome or not, it is a reality. We will never have the readymade depth that those teams enjoy, and, as such, will be more severely impacted by attrition.

Iowa's identity, right now, is "we hope to ride luck and good fortune to victories" If teams play clean football against Iowa, they will beat Iowa right now. I, for one, am a bit tired of watching games hoping our D can get a pick 6 just to stay in these ballgames. To me, that is just not a good methodology to use if you are Power 6 football coaches. You want to work toward asserting dominance, not trying to squeak out sloppy wins in every single game you play.

This game will be quickly forgotten. A 48-13 boat racing next week on a true national stage would have been long remembered. And with no Petras, DeSean or LaPorta it might have been worse than that.
I guess it depends on who is doing the remembering. 65,000 fans at Kinnick (many students were home for Thanksgiving) will certainly remember it a LOOONG time...pissing down your leg with a BTen division title on the line to a lowly 3-8 team. I barely remember last year's BTen title game -- who cares? Same if the Hawks would play in the BTen title game and get blown out next Saturday. Nobody expects them to win those games. But winning consecutive division titles and playing in consecutive BTen championship games is rare air for any team other than Ohio St., Michigan, and Wisconsin. If you're talking about a national TV audience remembering, well, yeah, I give you that. But frankly, I could give a rat's ass about them...

Get to sit back now and watch Purdue...a team we beat at their place....get the honor of getting waxed in our place. How fun.

You could make an argument that every program is a developmental program, but some rely on development more than others.

Looking strictly at the B1G, OSU, Michigan and soon USC and UCLA, and arguably PSU, are programs that reload every season. The rest of the conference relies heavily on development. Some do it better than others. Wisconsin probably has the best track record in that respect.

Whether you think it is tiresome or not, it is a reality. We will never have the readymade depth that those teams enjoy, and, as such, will be more severely impacted by attrition.
USC and UCLA both have had more failure than success the last 20 years. I think USC will fall in that next grouping with PSU going forward, but UCLA prob fits better in with Wisc & IA in that 3rd tier.

Put down the fuckin whiskey or put a breathalyzer on your phone. Seriously. You’re the worst, man.

This team lost its best CB right out of the gate, and because the next two guys are also hurt (Harris and Roberts), they had to go to the 5th string true freshman who has never and likely never see the field again. They burned him twice for 14 and the 6th string guy for 7, and we only lost by 7.

Then our starting QB got hurt.

Leading receiver hurt.

A starting OL on an already shaky line out hurt.

You need to take a break for a few days. Take my advice.
Dude, there are at least a dozen of us wanting to go on the same rant.

They laid an egg against fucking Nebraska man. Let him rant
Right!, message boards are for fans who are pissed off that their team shit the bed and need to vent without getting shit from the ranting police. Rant away!!!

I don't know enough to be sure George is the problem. You don't get this bad overnight. This stink was years in the making. Evaluation, recruiting, development and yes coaching. We can throw in scheme if you like.

burn it down.

Latest posts