ISU-Iowa Game

gbabainvasion

Cyclone fan here. What are you guys foreseeing in the game? What are your weaknesses? We are worried about turnovers. Also free throw shooting hasn't been the greatest.

Iowa needs to be able to draw ISU out of a zone defense so it has to get some perimeter shots to fall. If it can't then it will make it difficult to penetrate and draw fouls. Secondly it must put pressure on Clyburn to limit his points. McCaffrey will have to find out if it would be better to go large or go small and quick early in the game. I think he will go with the same starters from last nights game, but if ISU owns the boards and has no trouble with the 3/4 press he will go to a large lineup.

I didn't see either game last night, but a couple of things. Iowa shot 2-16 on 3's and still won by 24, ISU shot 13-25 on 3's and only won by 11. ISU 19 TO's, but forced 22. Iowa forced 18 and committed 11.

You mentioned free throws. It looks like, in the box scores anyway, that the 2 games were officiated differently, and the way this game is officiated will be huge. In the ISU game, there were 20 fouls called, with ISU shooting 2-5 from the line. In the Iowa game, there were 36 fouls called, with Iowa shooting 17-19. If ISU doesn't shoot FT's well, as you say, and Iowa seems to shoot well, it could make the difference in the game. Again, I didn't see either game, just noticed some telling stats. I have no idea how to compare the two opponents. Just assume they're both non-conference scrubs.

3 pt shooting and defending it are two problem areas we have. Youth being another. Consistently defending opponents is a fourth.

A big strength for ISU has been rebounding. They've outrebounded every team they've played. Iowa has outrebounded the teams they've beaten and been outrebounded by the teams that they've lost to. Iowa's two best rebounding margins have been their last two games. I think this will be a big difference in the game as well. Hopefully Iowa can muscle up on the boards and at least get a wash in that area.

Dear Clown,

Kindly STFU and GTFO. Go back to where you came from. No one cares what you have to say, and you're not welcome here. Any further questions, please direct them to my associate Redhawk.

Thanks in advance,

GhostofBTT
Dean of Posters

*dictated but not read

As an ISU fan I feel pretty confident about this one, which usually means ISU loses by double digits.

Hard to get a read on this one...

As an ISU fan I feel pretty confident about this one, which usually means ISU loses by double digits.

Both teams have losses to the good teams they have played so far on their schedule. I have little confidence in predicting an Iowa victory, mostly because the two teams with a pulse we have played so far (Wichita State and Va. Tech) ended up being double-digit losses.

ISU has a nice group of 7 players who are capable of having a big night on a given game. Interested to see if Iowa has any success in both defending the 3-point line and yet still keeping perimeter players from getting into the lane at will. That was pretty much the story in Iowa's losses.

Re: Hard to get a read on this one...

Both teams have losses to the good teams they have played so far on their schedule. I have little confidence in predicting an Iowa victory, mostly because the two teams with a pulse we have played so far (Wichita State and Va. Tech) ended up being double-digit losses.

ISU has a nice group of 7 players who are capable of having a big night on a given game. Interested to see if Iowa has any success in both defending the 3-point line and yet still keeping perimeter players from getting into the lane at will. That was pretty much the story in Iowa's losses.

Since they have no common opponents, it's tough to pick either way. I want to say Iowa has the advantage because they're at home, but Iowa State is probably the better team.

IMO, if ISU scores 70+, they're winning this one like 76-70. If they don't, Iowa takes it 65-61.

If Iowa can actually shoot, not make dumb mistakes, and rebound the damn ball then I like Iowa's chances. If not this game will go to the clowns.

Regardless of past performances, ISU always has 1-2 guys shoot out of their minds and Iowa gets out of the gate slowly. ISU has more experience, scoring options, better backcourt and better athletes, so unless Iowa shoots the 3 at an amazing clip, or ISU melts down, I don't see the outcome being any different than WSU or V-Tech. Look for Niang to light us up from 3 (my prediction). We will try to press and they will shred it for easy baskets. Hope I am wrong, but the prospects of running May, McCabe and Oglesby out there for significant minutes does not give me a lot of confidence.

I was just looking through ISU's roster, what I noticed is that they have a lot of seniors on that team. Not only do they have a lot of seniors, but they only really play one freshman very much. They will definitely have an edge in experience over us.

However, everyone is saying that we are going to get out-rebounded by them. I am not so sure this will be the case. Woody is going to (again) noticeably taller than everyone else on the court. Hopefully he will be able to use this to his advantage and pull down his fair share of boards.

This should be a good one, and I'm excited to actually watch a game on TV!

Yeah, if we can't shoot the three any better, they're going to collapse on Woody, and we're going to struggle. Also, defending the drives of Clyburn and Mcgee is going to be tough, and we need to do a good job of cutting them off, or it'll be another long night on the defensive end.

If Iowa can actually shoot, not make dumb mistakes, and rebound the damn ball then I like Iowa's chances. If not this game will go to the clowns.

So if Iowa does 3 things it hasn't done all year they'll win? I like ISU's odds.

So if Iowa does 3 things it hasn't done all year they'll win? I like ISU's odds.

The dumb mistakes haven't been THAT plentiful this year. Rebounding and shooting are big concerns, though.

I think if Woodbury can avoid foul trouble (something he's done a better job of in the last few games), Iowa will hold its own. The Hawks are a much better team when he's on the floor.

They cannot let ISU get a lead like last year. That game was over by halftime. If the Clones don't take their foot off the gas in the 2nd half it could have been a 40 point blowout.

HOWEVER they do not have a dynamic player like white this year, and in Carver, it should be an even matchup.

Latest posts