ISU Fans Confident

I think UNI is going to struggle this year, and I expect Illinois State to go on and have a pretty solid season. Possibly even compete for a title again. I think that win will look pretty good down the road even though it's against an FCS team. The way Iowa dominated them in every phase was impressive. Especially considering they had a very solid QB/RB combo and Iowa has struggled against running QBs in the past. What I saw on Saturday was encouraging. Although I believe Iowa State has improved defensively I don't think they've improved enough to stop Iowa's running game in it's tracks. On the flip side ISU will not run on Iowa. Richardson will be forced to make plays and frankly I don't think he's good enough to make enough plays to keep ISU in the game or give them the win. I predict Iowa wins and covers.
I would have to agree with this. I was at the Iowa game and watched the Iowa State game in the evening. Favorites aside I saw a Hawkeye team impose their will on a good Illinois State team in all aspects except maybe a long passing game, but that just was something that wasn’t really needed either at the time. As for Iowa State they really struggled the first half and got better the second half on what is really a dismal UNI team compared to recent years. Another note to take from the Iowa State game is how often UNI shot themselves in the foot be it from the turnovers or the terrible punting leaving Iowa State a short field. Iowa is the better team IMO but we all know what can happen in this series which is ANYTHING.That being said I feel something different about this years hawks team and hope I am correct. Ott will hurt Richardson and be all over their backfield as well as Jaleel Johnson. LeShun goes for 135 on the ground. CJ has a decent day and throws a pic.Hawks – 35Clowns - 17

Welcome aboard '86, damn glad to have yo along for the ride....
Thanks! Long time hawk fan and used to post on scout.com but that is not quite what it used to be. Have always looked through posts on here and finally pulled the trigger to join up! Going to the game this weekend and pretty much ready for this week to get over and get to Saturday!

I haven't been this confident in an Iowa victory in a long time. Iowa wins this from start to finish. 31-14

Any fan from Iowa or Iowa State who talks a lot of trash and thinks that their team is going to win big needs to have their collective heads examined. Anything can happen in this game, throw everything out the window. I must say that Iowa has been beaten down across the board by ISU lately and is probably due for a big day in Ames.

I'm buying into this "win now" message and vibe we've gotten in the last month. An opponent Iowa would usually play down to (FCS teams, Ball State, NIU, etc.), they thoroughly handled on Saturday. Not only are the 14 points Ill. St. scored deceptive, but so is the "mere" 31 points Iowa put up against them. Two 6+ minute scoring drives in Q1 and general dominance of the line of scrimmage means longer drives, but lower scores.

I'm going to say KF isn't just trying to appease the masses with one win against an FCS foe, I believe this may be chapter 3 for him. Hawks make ISU look stupid on Saturday, with Drew Ott getting 4 sack, 1 with a forced fumble that Iowa recovers. Daniels has his second 100+ yard game. Iowa wins 34-10, and we once again see Wiegers in garbage time in Q4.

Clownies gotta clown. I'm gonna have to put some money down on this -4 line. I will be shocked if that thing isn't bet up to -7 for Iowa by game time on Saturday. Take the Hawks, give the 4 and laugh all the way to the bank.

The line is down to 3.5.

Any fan from Iowa or Iowa State who talks a lot of trash and thinks that their team is going to win big needs to have their collective heads examined. Anything can happen in this game, throw everything out the window. I must say that Iowa has been beaten down across the board by ISU lately and is probably due for a big day in Ames.

"Beaten down across the board???" Interesting.

While I agree since '98 this game has been a toss up, you might be over thinking the "beat down" sentiment....

Since 1985(30 years), isu has won 10 times, with an avg margin of victory of 7.4 points.

-- Same range, Iowa has won 20 times, avg margin 20.95 points

Since 2005 (10 years), isu has won 5 times, with an avg margin of victory of 6.2 points

-- Same range, Iowa has won 5 times, avg margin 17.6 points

Since 2010 (5 years), isu has won 3 times, with an avg margin of 3 points

-- Same range, Iowa has won 2 times, avg margin 17 points.

While W/ L is pretty close in the last 15 years, margin isn't. Why does any of this matter? It doesnt, a win is a win is a win. But please don't use phrases like "beat down across the board" when the series is even over the last decade and ISU has won by more than 10 points exactly Twice since 1977.

Just sayin.

While I agree since '98 this game has been a toss up, you might be over thinking the "beat down" sentiment....

Since 1985(30 years), isu has won 10 times, with an avg margin of victory of 7.4 points.

Since 2005 (10 years), isu has won 5 times, with an avg margin of victory of 6.2 points

While W/ L is pretty close in the last 15 years, margin isn't. Why does any of this matter? It doesnt, a win is a win is a win. But please don't use phrases like "beat down across the board" when the series is even over the last decade and ISU has won by more than 10 points exactly Twice since 1977.

Just sayin.

If I'm reading this post correctly, sounds like ISU's average margin of victory has shrunk over time... 7.4 > 6.2 > 3.

that sounds like the opposite of "beat down across the board" to me

No way I'm overly confident either way on this game. Cyclones beat UNI who we don't know how good they are. Hawkeyes beat Illinois State, who we don't really know how good they will be this year (most likely they are better than UNI, but not sure we really know at this point).

Should be a good game in front of another sell out at Jack Trice.

Hey everyone. I'm new here to Hawkeye nation and thought real hard about what my first post should be. Here it is...**** IOWA STATE! :D

iowa st had only 77 yrds rushing vs uni, that is terrible!

Combine that with UNI's nonexistent kicking game (both the actual kicks and the lack of return defense) and Iowa St's inability to score consistently in the red zone and you have some truths there. Then throw in the fact that they never really had awful field position and couldn't mount the long drives against UNI, who looks like a shell of last year's team, and you've got a lot of "box score viewers" who think Iowa St dominated and played well. Iowa did play an FCS team, but when all is said and done Ill. St. will be much better than UNI.

Not really, or historically I should say. UNI has been a more consistent program than Ill State. An aberration year is having a bad year for them and they don't have bad years in a row too much.

Lets compare. Both Iowa and Iowa State beat top FCS schools by about the same score. Ill State was dealing with new line and were a bit undersized in their lines. Not sure about UNI.

Ill State had a terrific season last year but you can't say they are on two different levels because of one year. One year can be an aberration.

Illinois St lost some of their offensive line and receivers but their defense is fairly intact from last year. Yet, Iowa dominated both sides of the ball. They moved the ball on offense pretty well and didn't allow two of the top offensive threats in FCS, their QB and RB who combined for over 6700 yards of offense last year, to a total of 42 yards (running and passing).

UNI had losses on both sides of the ball, the most noticeable is David Johnson. And UNI still had more total yards than Iowa St. Iowa St didn't do a whole lot until later in the game, when you would expect the difference in scholarship athletes to take effect in hot game-day conditions. Plus, Iowa St never had to deal with bad field position, due to the huge return numbers and the bad UNI punting.

UNI has some big shoes to fill. They're still trying to figure things out. I expect them to be a much better team at the end of the year. Iowa State's passing game was impressive, however, and I think Richardson has improved greatly in the last year now that Mangino has had a year to implement his offense. And, he's got a lot of weapons. I think the Cylcones will put points on the board. All that being said, Iowa was very impressive on Saturday, and impressive on both sides of the ball. They could have easily shut out Illinois State, whereas UNI could have easily led ISU at halftime, and but for a momentum shift, may very well have. I don't bet, but if I did, I think Iowa wins on Saturday, and I think they win by 10.

I'm buying into this "win now" message and vibe we've gotten in the last month. An opponent Iowa would usually play down to (FCS teams, Ball State, NIU, etc.), they thoroughly handled on Saturday. Not only are the 14 points Ill. St. scored deceptive, but so is the "mere" 31 points Iowa put up against them. Two 6+ minute scoring drives in Q1 and general dominance of the line of scrimmage means longer drives, but lower scores.

I'm going to say KF isn't just trying to appease the masses with one win against an FCS foe, I believe this may be chapter 3 for him. Hawks make ISU look stupid on Saturday, with Drew Ott getting 4 sack, 1 with a forced fumble that Iowa recovers. Daniels has his second 100+ yard game. Iowa wins 34-10, and we once again see Wiegers in garbage time in Q4.

I like it brother, not far off of what I'm thinking!

Go Hawks!!!

Just sayin.

I'm not sure if the guy who said "beat down" is Iowa or ISU. But for someone to use the term beat down when the stats are what you posted, it really shows the mindset of the 2 programs. The stats you showed favor Iowa slightly over the last 10 years but if you asked either fan base, I'm sure most would feel Iowa has gotten the worse of it by far. Expectations.

ISU beat Iowa in Iowa City last year and won only one other game all year. ISU seems to be a lot better this year and they are playing at home. Why shouldn't ISU be confident about beating Iowa?

Remember that Iowa was a 13.5 favorite last year.

BINGO!

Latest posts