Isn't OSU in the Drivers seat in the Leaders (East) Division

ToneBo63

I was looking over the current Big Ten Divisional standings and was wondering if Ohio State wins at home aginst Penn State this Saturday, don't they win the Leaders division. The current standings look like this in the Leaders division.

Penn State is 3-0 with divisional games left at OSU and Wisconsin
Wisconsin is 2-1 with divisional games left at Illinois and home aginst PSU
Ohio State is 3-1 with a divisional game left aginst PSU at home and then a cross divisional game at Michigan.

So if OSU beats Penn State they end up 4-1 in the leaders divisoon and would own the head to head tie breaker aginst the winner of the PSU at Wisconsin game which would also be 4-1.

Is there something I'm misiing because several other sites are saying that OSU will need Illinois to beat Wisconsin for them to win and OSU owns the head to head with Wisky.

Wisconsin and PSU both control their own destiny. If either wins out, they win the division.

OSU has to win out, have PSU lose out, and Wisc must lose to Ill this weekend.

So if Ohio State beats Penn State and then Wisconsin Beats Illinois and Penn State. Wiconsin and Ohio State would have identical 4-1 records in the Eastern Division (Leaders) and Ohio State Beat Wisconsin in the head to head match up but Wisconsin goes to the championship game. That doesn't seem right. What is the point of having divisions if the head to head doesn't impact a tie?

So if Ohio State beats Penn State and then Wisconsin Beats Illinois and Penn State. Wiconsin and Ohio State would have identical 4-1 records in the Eastern Division (Leaders) and Ohio State Beat Wisconsin in the head to head match up but Wisconsin goes to the championship game. That doesn't seem right. What is the point of having divisions if the head to head doesn't impact a tie?

Did you not read the first reply to the thread you started? Its CONFERENCE record, not Divisional record.

Can McCall redshirt this year?

So why have divisions if they don't count. OSU and Wisconsin could end up tied at 4-1 in the east (Leaders) division with the tie breaker being the head to head which OSU won. You should be able to lose all of your non-divisional games and win your division (5-0) and go to the championship game.

Please stop posting.

So why have divisions if they don't count. OSU and Wisconsin could end up tied at 4-1 in the east (Leaders) division with the tie breaker being the head to head which OSU won. You should be able to lose all of your non-divisional games and win your division (5-0) and go to the championship game.

Eat my shorts and answer the question then

Please stop posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBo63

Can anyone tell me what the Stross thread is all about? I am too lazy to open it.

Eat my shorts and answer the question then

Please stop posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBo63

For the 3rd time it is the conference record that they use not divisional record. They have divisions set up so there is a conference championship game.

Does McCall get a redshirt?

Here I will answer this stupid question:

Division games do count. Each team plays 5 division games and 3 cross over games for a total of 8. That is 5+3=8, follow so far?

Then the division winner is determined by whoever has the best record after those 8 games. It really isn't rocket science to figure this all this out.

Oh well that would make sense if I hadn't just found this out on ESPN from Adam Rittenberg
here is the first tie break rule and I attached the link below

"Here's the basic one: When two teams tie atop the division, the winner of their head-to-head matchup goes to the league title game."

The Big Ten's complete division tiebreakers - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

So it looks like I was correct. If OSU and Wisky end up tied at 4-1 OSU goes to the championship.

Oh well that would make sense if I hadn't just found this out on ESPN from Adam Rittenberg

"Here's the basic one: When two teams tie atop the division, the winner of their head-to-head matchup goes to the league title game."

So it looks like I was correct. If OSU and Wisky end up tied at 4-1 OSU goes to the championship.

picard-facepalm.jpg

But what if they play all of the teams from their own division but only three teams from the other division. If they win all their games and go 8-0 and happen to play a team in the other division that finishes at 7-1, do they still play the conference championship since they have already beaten them straighup?

Who gets home field advantage?

no you are still wrong. OSU is 3-3 Wisky is 4-2 Penn St. is 5-1 Division record is just the tie breaker after head to head.

Op is basically saying that cross-divisional games are like scrimmages, with no bearing on the standings.

I think Iowa should rests its starts this weekend so that everyone is at full strength for Nebraska.

You know, since these games don't actually count or anything.

The following procedure will determine the rep from each division in the event of tie:

1. If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
2. If 3 or more teams are tied, Steps 1 thru 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only 2 teams remain eligible after any step, the winner of teh head to head matchup will be the representative.
a. Overall record
b. record within division
c. records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish....What?
d. common opponents
e. best overall winning percentage.
f. Random Draw - no ****...its in the official rule book.

Wow, please do take the advice of someone earlier and stop posting. It's one thing to be a troll but it is another to continue to make yourself look like an even bigger moron every time you post.

Looks like rule #1 would apply.

The following procedure will determine the rep from each division in the event of tie:

1. If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
2. If 3 or more teams are tied, Steps 1 thru 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only 2 teams remain eligible after any step, the winner of teh head to head matchup will be the representative.
a. Overall record
b. record within division
c. records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish....What?
d. common opponents
e. best overall winning percentage.
f. Random Draw - no ****...its in the official rule book.

Latest posts