Is Western Michigan (2007) Syndrome on the Horizon?????

This is, indeed, a dangerous game on Saturday. Minnesota lost to NW by one, beat a good Illinois team -- that actually does have a good defense -- on the road, and as others have noted, beating Iowa would salvage the season for them...and give them their first win at home this season.

But the problem isn't so much Minnesota...as it has been all year, the problem is Iowa. If the Hawkeyes come out like they did at Indiana and NW, if they play not to lose, if they let the Gophers hang around, there's an excellent chance Iowa loses.

On the other hand, if Iowa would come out aggressively and jump on the Gophers early and often, this game will be over at halftime. And that's what SHOULD happen. But given the history of Iowa under Coach Ferentz, I'm afraid Minnesota hangs around pulls off the upset, Iowa drags its feathers to the Insight Bowl, loses again, finishes 7-6, a few oral commitments are withdrawn and the Iowa program is left floundering in a year when it SHOULD be undefeated and headed for the Rose Bowl...

Nothing will surprise me as this just clearly "is not our year". Further, I know KF is hardly a fiery guy, but everything I have seen from him this week has just kind of presented an "oh well" mentality. You would think after wasting the most talent Iowa has had in 20+ years, he would be a bit more lively. Instead, it appears his biggest concern is the fact that Iowa has to play during Thanksgiving week.

I don't expect this team to come mentally prepared and ready to play. After the past 3 weeks, why should I expect anything otherwise? Whoever "gets" this team mentally prepared each week is not doing their job. Should they really have to though?

This team in some ways is like the Dallas Cowboys. They have the talent, but mentally they just weren't in it. It wasn't until a change in leadership happened when that mentality changed. Something needs to change with these kids mentally. My prediction: Minnesota 21. Iowa 7. I hope I am wrong.

If we only score 7 points vs Minnesota there should be wholesale changes on this coaching staff. Period. The meltdown would last until next football season.

Ive learned the easiest way to avoid melt down is to expect the worst and I am for this game. The biggest thing in favor of Minny HAHA is Punky B is gone and wont be calling the plays. If he was still there, Iowa wins. Iowas secondary makes Weber look like a Heisman candidate and....never mind, Im not goin there.

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Hawkeye faithful.

This thread appears to be a nice gathering place for the "half empty gang". Come on in off the ledge, boys, its Minnesota after all! We'll be fine.

I think it is safe to say that IF Iowa loses to Minnesota there is something amiss besides injuries.

This thread appears to be a nice gathering place for the "half empty gang". Come on in off the ledge, boys, its Minnesota after all! We'll be fine.
Sorry, but you're off-base DC.

I heard the same "It's xxxxxx after all, we'll be fine" before the Indy, NW games this year, and the UNI, Indy, NW and Arky St games last year.

That dog doesn't hunt anymore.

I think if Iowa does win, Marcus Coker is going to be Iowa's savior and player of the game. Expect at least 150 yards rushing from him.

Nothing will surprise me as this just clearly "is not our year". Further, I know KF is hardly a fiery guy, but everything I have seen from him this week has just kind of presented an "oh well" mentality. You would think after wasting the most talent Iowa has had in 20+ years, he would be a bit more lively. Instead, it appears his biggest concern is the fact that Iowa has to play during Thanksgiving week.

My thoughts exactly. One game left and KF's statements came off like we are taking a relaxed approach this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSpringsteen
I had that fear about the Minnie game prior to the tOSU game.

It is very real and the meltdown would be very real as would the heat under KF's rear end

I'm not worried about KF's Heat he's a big boy. I'm more concerened with the talanted class we have coming in. If i was a kid and saw Iowa drop a game to Minny I'd think twice.

I hate to say this but this thread is starting to look like I made a couple of prophetic statements a while back and I DON'T like the outcome at all. The recent news of Gordon's de-commit took me by surprise as I thought it would take dropping one to Minny to scare off recruits but I guess not. From the sounds of rumors the armour that normally keeps this team together is cracking as well. Not buying the win by 20 points that seems to be the inclination of some folks on this board. This will be a close one, I'm thinking 28 to 24 with the Hawks hopefully winning. If Hawks don't win, I'm not looking forward to the epic meltdown and the always ignorant FIRE KF threads!!!!!!!!

I really do hate how Hot & Cold our fan base is. Every team knows how it's fanbase reacts. Do you think the players/coaches enjoy seeing fans bail on them so easily? When did it become unorthodox to just cheer for players and if we were fortunate as fans we see a win. I love the respect JoePa gets, hate the disrespect served to Bowden. I can only dream that KF becomes one of these living legends here at Iowa. JoePa has only 3 Big10 championships in 17 seasons in the Big10. If you are wondering KF already has 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSpringsteen
I had that fear about the Minnie game prior to the tOSU game.

It is very real and the meltdown would be very real as would the heat under KF's rear end

I hate to say this but this thread is starting to look like I made a couple of prophetic statements a while back and I DON'T like the outcome at all. The recent news of Gordon's de-commit took me by surprise as I thought it would take dropping one to Minny to scare off recruits but I guess not. From the sounds of rumors the armour that normally keeps this team together is cracking as well. Not buying the win by 20 points that seems to be the inclination of some folks on this board. This will be a close one, I'm thinking 28 to 24 with the Hawks hopefully winning. If Hawks don't win, I'm not looking forward to the epic meltdown and the always ignorant FIRE KF threads!!!!!!!!

Let the meltdown commence. Sorry on the score thing had the numbers pretty close but was on the wrong side for the winner. These last games were team losses. An O-fence that cound get a 1st down in the 4th quarter that last five games and a d-fence that was so exhausted that they couldn't stop a simple dive play. This is on the team and coaches hell even the water boy. Look at all the injuries as well just not our year this year. Please don't go home and KICK the dog and/or BEAT the wife. Just hope that the team can get healthy and have a good showing in Phoenix!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts