Is This Week's Game A No-Win Situation?

tubahawk

I'm really trying not to be Debbie Downer after last week's loss. I think it was a good measuring stick for this team. I'm not sure I feel that way about this week's match-up. Its against an FCS team that hasn't had a winning season in at least 3 years. SWMS is not even close to the level of UNI.

My point is even when we win does it mean anything? Sure we break our losing streak of seven games but is it really a confidence booster? I'm not sure what it would take for me to consider this Saturday's game a success. Just winning doesn't seem like enough against this level of an opponent. It needs to be complete domination.

I don't even want to think about losing this game. A loss against an inferior FCS team may leave Iowa City looking more abandoned that Chernobyl.

Bottom line: Even if Iowa wins this week I'm not sure it gains anything.

I'm really trying not to be Debbie Downer after last weeks loss. I think it was a good measuring stick for this team. I'm not sure I feel that way about this week's match-up. Its against an FCS team that hasn't had a winning season on at least 3 years. SWMS is not even close to the level of UNI.

My point is even when we win does it mean anything? Sure we break our losing streak of seven games but is it really a confidence booster? I'm not sure what it would take for me to consider next weeks game a success. Just winning doesn't seem like enough against this level of an opponent. It needs to be complete domination.

I don't even want to think about losing this game. A loss against an inferior FCS team may leave Iowa City looking more abandoned that Chernobyl.

Bottom line: Even if Iowa wins this week I'm not sure it gains anything.

It's one more game to work on execution. Anytime you play somebody other than your own team on the practice field you gain something.

They just need to end the streak. Saturday is important for working out the kinks, figuring out personnel in game situations and getting reps for non-starters. Definitely things to be gained.

just a tune up game. Also a chance to get some of the younger guys a little playing time.

It's one more game to work on execution. Anytime you play somebody other than your own team on the practice field you gain something.
Plain and simple.

Also should give us a chance to get more guys on film and help work on things.

I don't think we should underestimate the power of a win Saturday. These guys haven't enjoyed a win in 11 months. Getting the monkey off the back could be huge for these guys.

I absolutely agree. But if we squeak out a 7 point victory, will it really be seen as a win or will it serve as more fodder for the message boards (of course people will always find something to gripe about)?

I don't think we should underestimate the power of a win Saturday. These guys haven't enjoyed a win in 11 months. Getting the monkey off the back could be huge for these guys.

That's what I'm not sure about. If I'm a 250lbs heavyweight fighter and I beat up on a 110lb light weight do I really feel better about my abilities. It makes for good practice, but I can't say it would give me more confidence the next time I'm in the ring with a more equal opponent.

That's what I'm not sure about. If I'm a 250lbs heavyweight fighter and I beat up on a 110lb light weight do I really feel better about my abilities. It makes for good practice, but I can't say it would give me more confidence the next time I'm in the ring with a more equal opponent.
The attitude that we heard repeatedly in interviews is that the players are sick of losing and believe they can right the ship. They know they were close last week. This week can turn the corner and give them positive energy heading into one of the biggest weeks in Iowa Football in recent memory. Assuming we avoid complete disaster Saturday, ISU could make or break whether or not this team can right that ship, whether or my KF gets this turned around, and whether or not we have a chance at six wins.

Missouri State will be coming in with guns a blazin, 2 schools from that conference has already scored wins over the BCS. They will keep it close for a lot longer than we will be comfortable with. But at the end of the day it gets Iowa a much needed victory, hopefully some confidence, and some game experience for the young players in the 2 deeps (including QB).

Jake Rudock gets his first win, gets a little confidence, and gets to head into Ames on a positive note instead of off of a loss that his late interception contributed to. It doesn't matter if he only throws it 5 times for 10 yards. Step 1 is to stop the bleeding, and this week is perfect to end a lot of the negatives going on. It doesn't matter that it's against an FCS team.

Jake Rudock gets his first win, gets a little confidence, and gets to head into Ames on a positive note instead of off of a loss that his late interception contributed to. It doesn't matter if he only throws it 5 times for 10 yards. Step 1 is to stop the bleeding, and this week is perfect to end a lot of the negatives going on. It doesn't matter that it's against an FCS team.
I agree. The entire Iowa Football complex, all of us fans, etc need this win. Stopping the bleeding is the start.

If we win, that will be a win situation I think.

Seriously though, this team may be our toughest opponent over then next 2 weeks, so I think it is good.

A team that has lost 7 games in a row does not resemble a 250 lb heavyweight. Iowa needs a win, period, before they start playing games of more significance.

If Kurt loses this game, is it even possible for him to recover? Or are we stuck with Zombie Coach.

I was thinking the same thing. If Iowa loses then fans are going to lose it and it's going to get bad quickly. Then it's the end of the line for Kirk.

Its a win/lose situation as we could very well lose the game. Anybody being realistic should not be expecting a huge win, 2 TDs maybe but get any thoughts of 70-0 out of your head. 35-21 sounds about right but a nail biter is in play as it always is with Kirk.

Missouri state is not afraid of us and Ill bet we land on plenty of upset watch lists this week. We need this win badly, as bad as I can recall.

Latest posts