Is this going to be one of those seasons......

rdubbs

Banned
where Iowa doesn't blow anyone out the rest of the way and continues to just play teams close and give us all heartattacks? :)

where Iowa doesn't blow anyone out the rest of the way and continues to just play teams close and give us all heartattacks? :)

Ummmm, have you been watching any of the games this year? I keep a bottle of chewable aspirin with me at all times on Saturdays, lol.

It's the same formula that Ohio State rode to winning the whole thing in 2002, so why not?

Keep the Maalox and scotch nearby.

I said it after the UNI game. We are a very solid team, but we will not blow any team out of the water! Our defense will win us some games and our offense will squeak out a few victories here and there. This teams nickname should be the "cardiac kids" they keep us all on the edge of our seats and about give us heart attacks during each game! Last saturday night was amazing though, I am still in shock of how that game played out! Great TEAM win.

If we want to hold our spot at #4 in the BCS or even move if one of the top 3 lose, we had better come ready to play these next two weeks and by that I mean Blowouts! If we want to be in the discussion with Texas Fl and Bama we had better Beat Indiana and Northwestern in blowout Fashion!

I don't anticipate a blowout against Northwestern (they have too many weapons for a team to get too far out in front of) But Indiana (after their disappointing loss to the Cats) could be a game if we get out early, it's possible we could win by at least 2 scores.

I don't anticipate a blowout against Northwestern (they have too many weapons for a team to get too far out in front of) But Indiana (after their disappointing loss to the Cats) could be a game if we get out early, it's possible we could win by at least 2 scores.

Didn't Indiana just jump out in front of NW 28-3 this weekend before losing 29-28? Both of these next two are ripe for the taking...I'm more worried about the NW game though.

Didn't Indiana just jump out in front of NW 28-3 this weekend before losing 29-28? Both of these next two are ripe for the taking...I'm more worried about the NW game though.

True, but how Northwestern got back into the game is probably what scares me the most, our pass defense hasn't been great this season

tough to knock the pass defense. Our run defense is stout as you'll find right now, tough for an opposing team to game plan against because we don't do anything special on defense. Every team is going to try and pass on us. Only wisconsin came in with the mindset they were gonna run all over us, and that caught up with them in the 2nd half. Not every team has a John Clay. So most teams come in gameplanning to throw the ball on us and I think the pass defense has been awesome, minus about 1 play in each game. I'll take that.

your right, teams have been really lighting them up through the air. cousins was top 25 in the nation in pass efficiency and completed only 50% of his passes. only 3 of 8 teams this year have managed over 200 yds. passing against us, with each team except wisky and michigan featuring the pass more. lower the expectations buddy.

lets not forget up to last week, we led the country in interceptions. I'll keep using awesome, you call it what u want.

It's the same formula that Ohio State rode to winning the whole thing in 2002, so why not?

I've heard this said a few times and it's a great comment, one problem - it's just not true. They had a few close games (5 x less than 7pts), but they had their share of blowouts too. If Iowa wins their last 4 games, but the wins against Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern are not convincing... they will not play for a national championship if Florida/Alabama and Texas are undefeated. For that matter, they may not be able to beat out a one loss USC if that's the case.

OHIO STATE 2002
8.24 Texas Tech 45-21 (24pts)
9.7 Kent State 51-17 (34pts)
9.14 Washington State 25-7 (18pts)
9.21 @Cincinnati 23-19 (4pts)
9.28 Indiana 45-17 (28pts)
10.5 @Northwestern 27-16 (11pts)
10.12 SanJose St 50-7 (43pts)
10.19 @Wisconsin 19-14 (5pts)
10.26 Penn State 13-7 (6pts)
11.2 Minnesota 34-3 (31pts)
11.9 @Purdue 10-6 (4pts)
11.16 @Illinois 23-16 (OT) (7pts)
11.23 Michigan 14-9 (5pts)
1.3 Miama 31-24 (OT) (7pts)

That's 5 big wins (> 21pts). Iowa has 1! ONE! (Iowa State) With close wins to UNI (now with three losses) and ASU (now with 4 losses) our resume is not CLOSE to the OSU resume of 2002. That coupled with the perception that the Big-10 is down this year (probably due to last year's bowl appearances... but 1-5 is a bad showing)... Iowa has to win a couple of these last games by a significant margin if they want to play after Jan 1. The "computer love" will go down three of these last four weeks with the quality of competition, so we need to "wow" the humans.

It's easy when we love our team to lose perspective, but the national "doubters" are not really that far off when you look at the numbers. I believe ALL of football is down a bit this year and think Iowa can hang with any of them... but in the end it doesn't matter what I think as a fan (or that our coach continues with the mantra "a win is a win"), but the humans that vote - say what we want - they matter, a lot.

So - to answer the OP directly, I sure hope not! Go Hawks!

Last edited:

Latest posts