Is there ever a case where the BCS Championship game should be a rematch?

thejumper5

I'm looking at this season's schedule and could see the following scenario taking place involving final conference standings:

ACC: Virginia Tech 10-3 (6-3)
Big East: West Virginia 10-2 (6-1)
Big Ten: Wisconsin 12-1 (8-1)
Big XII: Oklahoma 10-2 (7-2), Oklahoma State 10-2 (7-2), Texas 10-2 (7-2)
Pac-12: Oregon 11-2 (9-1)
SEC: Alabama 13-0 (8-1), LSU 11-1 (7-1)

In my scenario, I'm assuming that all non-AQ teams all have at least 1 loss and that all other AQ teams have 10 wins or fewer.

Based purely on records, I think people throughout the country would claim that LSU would deserve a rematch with Alabama in this scenario. What would you say to people making that argument? In general (ignoring this scenario), how would you feel about a pair of teams playing a rematch of a regular season game (or a third game in the event of a conference championship rematch) for the national championship?

Most of the time it seems like rematches are frowned upon simply because of the "been there, done that" feeling to the game.

From what I've seen Alabama and LSU are the best 2 teams in the nation. As for all sports, the two best teams don't necessarily play in the national title game and I don't think we would see a one loss team compete for the title if there is/are undefeated teams other than Boise State.

If Mich and OSU couldn't get a rematch after the 2006 season, no teams deserve a rematch.

From what I've seen Alabama and LSU are the best 2 teams in the nation. As for all sports, the two best teams don't necessarily play in the national title game and I don't think we would see a one loss team compete for the title if there is/are undefeated teams other than Boise State.

Oklahoma and Wisconsin are damn good too. Would love to see any of those 4 teams play each other.

disclaimer: I have yet to watch any of the Pac 12 teams.

Oklahoma and Wisconsin are damn good too. Would love to see any of those 4 teams play each other.

disclaimer: I have yet to watch any of the Pac 12 teams.

If I had to predict.... I would say that Oklahoma loses a game in their Big 12 schedule. Wisconsin goes undefeated and plays for a title against the winner of Alabama/LSU. Wisconsin loses in the title game.

That's my prediction. I'm not sure who wins in the LSU/Alabama game.

I think the only way a rematch can or should occur is if it's a deal like LSU and Oregon. If two teams played early in the season, and the finish undefeated/one-loss, then maybe a rematch would be appropriate. But a rematch of a game that was at or near the end of the regular season? No.

Latest posts