Is there apathy with Iowa basketball with lots of fans?

I am done expecting something special from this team. CJ isn’t the savior. Get to the round of 32 and see what happens......get stoked about 21-22 I guess.

Iowa is not a legitimate top 10 team. (Fraud) Will be lucky to make the tourney. The annual "Fran Fade" is in full swing. I did not even turn the channel to the BB game today. Iowa wrestled Purdue and now OSU.
I'm about ready to go post in the men's gymnastics forum. I love discussing teams I don't even watch.

I am done expecting something special from this team. CJ isn’t the savior. Get to the round of 32 and see what happens......get stoked about 21-22 I guess.
I agree. There will be no "special" during the regular season. It's officially off the table. With any luck, that will get them to play more care free. More than likely tho, it will get them to tank.

If you don't care to watch a team in the top 10 until the season is over, just to make sure they don't collapse, you might miss the best iowa team in 30 years.

Four losses in five games. This team IS collapsing.

And we can start talking about that "Top 10" in past tense.

I am sorry you didn’t get to see Lute coach. Both excellent defenses and offenses. A complete coach.

Before some of you older guys chime in I admit I would have loved to watch Ralph Miller coach but that was a little before my time.

Lute would have taken Fran to the wood shed.
I'm sorry, but I remember Lute coaching way too many games not to lose instead of playing to win. I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the TV "STOP RUNNING THE FOUR CORNERS!! RUN WHAT GOT YOU THE LEAD!!" And who can forget the tourney game where we had a huge lead over Wichita St at half time and Lute tried to use the four corner offense to stall out the ENTIRE second half...... and we ended up losing.

Yes, when he got to Arizona and had access to all the talent in southern California he would have beaten Fran. And guess what? He didn't use the four corners there; he coached to win games instead of coaching not to lose.

Last edited:
No apathy here. But there is extreme frustration. Arguably best player in program history and still sliding.

I've defended Fran ....

but the lineups, playing times, lack if using timeouts to stop runs/droughts, and unwillingness to adjust his "rule" on sitting a player with 2 fouls... even when that player is everything to the team.... 12 minutes Fran?

Losing 4 out of 5, including 3 games with double digit leads with less than 10 minutes left...

Atrocious perimeter defense and almost nonsensical defensive rotation in zone...

Frustration, not apathy. I've watched every game, will continue to... but damn...

Go Hawks

Big reason for lack of traffic on this board (beyond team's lack of success) is making a guy like Fryowa an admin. Hes an asshole who treats people like crap and thinks he's better than everyone else on here. Have talked to many fellow Hawk fans who stopped frequenting this board because of him.

No apathy here. But there is extreme frustration. Arguably best player in program history and still sliding.

I've defended Fran ....

but the lineups, playing times, lack if using timeouts to stop runs/droughts, and unwillingness to adjust his "rule" on sitting a player with 2 fouls... even when that player is everything to the team.... 12 minutes Fran?

Losing 4 out of 5, including 3 games with double digit leads with less than 10 minutes left...

Atrocious perimeter defense and almost nonsensical defensive rotation in zone...

Frustration, not apathy. I've watched every game, will continue to... but damn...

Go Hawks
Get used to it as there is more to come.

I'm sorry, but I remember Lute coaching way too many games not to lose instead of playing to win. I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the TV "STOP RUNNING THE FOUR CORNERS!! RUN WHAT GOT YOU THE LEAD!!" And who can forget the tourney game where we had a huge lead over Wichita St at half time and Lute tried to use the four corner offense to stall out the ENTIRE second half...... and we ended up losing.

Yes, when he got to Arizona and had access to all the talent in southern California he would have beaten Fran. And guess what? He didn't use the four corners there; he coached to win games instead of coaching not to lose.
Lute had some spectacular NCAA tourney flame outs at Arizona as well.

And there's a reason he stopped using the four corners offense there.

The shot clock. But I remember the Wichita State game well. Lute should have known. He tried the same thing two years earlier vs Toledo with a double digit second half lead and got burned there as well.

I've defended Fran ....

Go Hawks
Needed something from Nunge today, big time.

Got defense and rebounding, but zero offense.

I am now apathetic. I wont watch them again until the B1G tourney.

I will be actively searching out the wrestling team matches though. Those guys have grit and get after people and do not quit. They are fun to watch.

We have two guys that will be drafted by the NBA after this year and still it’s not getting done. Who is to blame for that?

FryIowa I don’t know if the heat is on as you suggested, but I am beginning to think the pilot light is lit.

We have two guys that will be drafted by the NBA after this year and still it’s not getting done. Who is to blame for that?
To be fair, having two future draft picks on a team isn't something that sets you apart from other Big 10 teams.

Shot clock changed Lute and the stall game

Is CJ worth a 6 point swing at Illinois, a 5 point swing vs. Ohio State or a 3 point swing at Indiana? I’m not saying he’s a savior. But I am saying I believe we win 2 of those 3 with him.

I am now apathetic. I wont watch them again until the B1G tourney.

I will be actively searching out the wrestling team matches though. Those guys have grit and get after people and do not quit. They are fun to watch.
Based on past history the BTT is the worst time to watch. So you probably should call it quits until NCAA or November. I’m frustrated but won’t miss a game...if for no other reason than to watch Garza and the young guys.

For me it's frustration. I never miss a game, but posting on here is the furthest thing from my mind immediately after a game simply because (1) I have other things to do and (2) it would be an identical post to the last loss.

I was of the mindset that I didn't see this team being a top 10 team going into the season, because regardless of the talent level I saw the same positives (scoring offense) and deficiencies (defense and rebounding) to make me skeptical of how far this team could really go. I wanted to believe it, and still do, but in reality we just aren't there.

To me every game is the same as the one before it. Other team comes out hot. We get down early. Make a huge run to take a lead heading into half time. Go back and fourth in the second half. Go on a horrendous cold spell midway (to late) in the second half. Struggle to find open shots late and struggle to make huge stops when the game is on the line.

I can't remember the exact stat or when/where I heard it, but a broadcaster made a comment about the number of times Iowa has gone on a 10-0 (or larger) run in the first half this season. When I heard this I wasn't excited about it, but immediately thought about the second half slumps and wondered on average how long those droughts last and how those droughts seem to have more of an impact than the 10-0 runs in the first half.

IMO the glaring weakness is the we simply don't have that "switch" that can get flipped just like that, during the course of a game where where you raise the intensity level and take your defense to the next level. The kind of defensive intensity that increases in the last two minutes of a game when you need the stops the most. We simply don't have it, and the frustrating part is that it seems to be the exact same game every night. Some we win, some we lose, but the script rarely flips.

Big reason for lack of traffic on this board (beyond team's lack of success) is making a guy like Fryowa an admin. Hes an asshole who treats people like crap and thinks he's better than everyone else on here. Have talked to many fellow Hawk fans who stopped frequenting this board because of him.

One thing I appreciate is that he's enforcing the "no politics" rule, which I greatly appreciate. There was a stretch where it seemed that every thread would get hijacked by arguing about race and bitching about Trump, so I decided to no longer spend much time here.

Now that it's been cleaned up, I decided to come back and start to post again. If things start to revert back to that kind of political BS, I'll vanish like a fart in the wind, and I won't be back.

Though I did see a post from him the other day in response to another poster, where I was like "Ok, wow. That seemed pretty over the top harsh" Most of you probably know the one I mean. I wasn't going to get involved, though!

Latest posts