Is there another Weisman sitting down right now?

I am going to say this right now...

If the drop off between JVB and Ruddock is that big, we are in HUGE trouble next year.

If JVB is that much better than the next guy, than the next guy will be the worst QB in the B1G, because we probably have that now.

Vandy was 16/25 215 yards 1 TD 0 INT not great game, but you're acting like it was horrible and is the lone reason we lost the game.

Vandy has yet to look like a B1G caliber QB in a single game this year, and it was borderline even in our ins last year. And to think some morons here thought this guy was going to get drafted.

Do you realize how easy it is for you to say that, since there are no repercussions on you if it gets much worse and significantly limits the team's chance to win? This isn't EA Sports XBox Dynasty mode.

Bingo. This goes for a lot of the "theory" of "we gotta mix it up"....and if it doesn't work we'll just keep on ripping the staff, the players, the scheme, the staff, the staff, KF, and that darn KF staff.

laughable.

Didn't Weisman drop the go ahead td pass against Iowa State? Isn't that sucking when it matters? But instead of benching him he took a look at him at RB. I mean Weisman was a walk on sophomore that nobody else wanted. He started him at FB the first game in a hawkeye uniform and then switched to RB where he's excelling. Your response is what other Weisman are there sitting on the bench. Giving KF no credit what so ever and he never even sat him on the bench.

Do you seriously want to flush the season before the big ten even starts? Vandy best QB on the team, and benching him in game 3 of the season is the wrong move period. As far as some of the other young guys, how do you know Nico or Spears or whoever you think is so good isn't going to play more Saturday. This play young guys argument is for week 9 when we are 3-6 or whatever. KF and everyone on this team don't believe the season is over like most of the fans do. They still believe they can compete in the big ten. And I fully expect KF to play the best players(as he sees it) till at least a bowl game is out of the question as he should.

Ok, but tell me where I am wrong on this. KF let the next year's Heisman runner up play about 1/4 of the offensive snaps, yet that qb lead scoring drives in 2/3 of those snaps. He settled for a so so I think 7 win season when the next year Banks led a BCS run. What makes you think KF is making the right choice? Remember Jake?

I agree somewhat with this, there was some big holes last week and some of the outside runs nobody even touched him. Bullock would of broke for 70 yard TDs rather then 15 and be caught from behind like Weisman did. That being said Weisman should be starter and get majority of the carries.

I disagree with Weisman remaining the "starter". I think Bullock is the guy because the size of holes being opened allow for him to make some much bigger plays. However, Weisman also needs to touch the ball 15-20 times a game. Only problem is, KF hasn't figured out how to effectively used 2 RB's in the same game in a very long time...

Quite frankly, I feel the annual 'Play the backup!' argument we see every year is one of the dumbest things on the message boards. None of us has access to how these guys perform on the practice field.

I guarantee you if someone is clearly outplaying the starter day in and day out on the practice field, he's gonna play.

Are you sure I'm not better than Kyle McCann?

Signed,
Brad Banks

I guarantee you if someone is clearly outplaying the starter day in and day out on the practice field, he's gonna play.

I don't think day in and day out should be the point. but if a player is out playing a starter some days they should be seeing the field so they can develop further. Definitely not saying they should start over the starter.

I feel that is far more likely that there is another "Weisman" type not seeing the field then not. That could also be the fact I feel that when KF says "We are trying to win", I don't believe he is doing that. I think what he actually is saying "We are trying to win with these selected players and I wont use anyone else even if they might give us a spark unless injuries force me to".

To name a few couple Big misses by Kirk,
-Not wanting to open up the QB competition between JC and Stanzi despite how bad JC was
++(KOK convinced him which is why I haven't given KOK any crap after that became known).
-Wanting Greene to move to Defense.
++I have little doubt Greene's time moving furniture didn't get him more dedicated during practice (never heard he wasn't dedicated) but he wouldn't just one day wake up and have these skills after not playing football for a year.

Sometimes what makes a player special is what they can do on the field rather then in practice.

Ok, but tell me where I am wrong on this. KF let the next year's Heisman runner up play about 1/4 of the offensive snaps, yet that qb lead scoring drives in 2/3 of those snaps. He settled for a so so I think 7 win season when the next year Banks led a BCS run. What makes you think KF is making the right choice? Remember Jake?

Like Jon said he knew 10 plays package that year. He showed up on campus that year knowing nothing. KF saw some talent and moved him ahead of Buetcher and got him into the game. But again he gets zero credit for that and bashed for not starting him every game. He did play the majority of the game against Wisconsin and Banks played very poorly. Box score of that game. NCAA Football - Iowa vs. Wisconsin
After that he went back to the change of pace QB where he excelled. As far as Jake everybody was excited about him nobody preseason was saying Stanzi should start. He played poorly and by game 4 I believe Stanzi was starting what did he do so wrong their?

Jon's come back will be Brad didn't know the entire playbook yet.

My comeback to that usually is....."Then he made the greatest single season turnaround in college football history. Going from a backup only knowing 10 plays to leading the Hawks to an undefeated Big 10 season, a berth in the Orange Bowl and a runner-up finish in the Heisman."

I'm sorry, but you don't just get that in one off-season.

Like Jon said he knew 10 plays package that year. He showed up on campus that year knowing nothing. KF saw some talent and moved him ahead of Buetcher and got him into the game. But again he gets zero credit for that and bashed for not starting him every game. He did play the majority of the game against Wisconsin and Banks played very poorly. Box score of that game. NCAA Football - Iowa vs. Wisconsin
After that he went back to the change of pace QB where he excelled. As far as Jake everybody was excited about him nobody preseason was saying Stanzi should start. He played poorly and by game 4 I believe Stanzi was starting what did he do so wrong their?

Please. Kirk wasted an entire year (2007) with Jake at the helm. You could have put John Lickliter there and he would have done better.

My comeback to that usually is....."Then he made the greatest single season turnaround in college football history. Going from a backup only knowing 10 plays to leading the Hawks to an undefeated Big 10 season, a berth in the Orange Bowl and a runner-up finish in the Heisman."

I'm sorry, but you don't just get that in one off-season.

You are out over your ski tips here. He had the best offensive line in Iowa football history and the best in the nation that year. He had the best tight end in the nation that year and best in school history. Teams had to throw everything at stopping Iowa's running game, which made the play action game unstoppable, like what we saw from Wisconsin last year. Banks threw to more wide open receivers than any Iowa QB has since the forward pass became vogue.

Iowa probably ran the same core 12-15 plays each game in 2002, because no one could stop them. You think Iowa all of the sudden got crazy in 2002 and Banks had 80 plays in his repertoire? No.

You are out over your ski tips here. He had the best offensive line in Iowa football history and the best in the nation that year. He had the best tight end in the nation that year and best in school history. Teams had to throw everything at stopping Iowa's running game, which made the play action game unstoppable, like what we saw from Wisconsin last year. Banks threw to more wide open receivers than any Iowa QB has since the forward pass became vogue.

Iowa probably ran the same core 12-15 plays each game in 2002, because no one could stop them. You think Iowa all of the sudden got crazy in 2002 and Banks had 80 plays in his repertoire? No.

So what you're saying, in a nutshell, is that Jake C. could have done the same thing? Got it! Then again, you did tout him longer and harder than anyone! :D

So what you're saying, in a nutshell, is that Jake C. could have done the same thing? Got it! Then again, you did tout him longer and harder than anyone! :D

Nope. I am talking about Brad Banks, and everyone's thoughts that he should have played all of 2001. No one who actually was on that team, that I have spoken with, supports that notion.

Jon's come back will be Brad didn't know the entire playbook yet.

Actually i took it Jon's response on Banks was Iowa only had 10 plays he could perform in 2001 and was no where near capable of being the starter at Iowa. Then Banks tossed on his superman cape and 10 months later went from not capable to a Heisman Contender.. :)..

Not to mention winner of the Davey O' Brien Award.. Amazing to think!! http://www.daveyobrien.org/adminnm/templates/awards-prev-win.asp?articleid=57&zoneid=14

Last edited:
No Jon's response was that Brad Banks only had 10 plays he could perform in 2001 and was no where near capable of being the starter. Banks tossed on his superman cape and in less than 8 months went from not capable to a Heisman Candidate 10 months later.. :)..

You do realize he transferred in and showed up on campus a month before the season and you expect him to learn the whole offence top to bottom in like 14 practices. Very do able in 10 months but not in limited practice time. Didn't look like superman in the Wisconsin game.

So Banks only knew 10 plays as a junior, and that's why he couldn't be the full time starter. But Iowa was able to only run 12-15 plays a game with pretty much the same cast the following year and had one of the greatest seasons in school history. So why couldn't he start with only knowing a 10 play package?

Latest posts