Is there another Weisman sitting down right now?

Quite frankly, I feel the annual 'Play the backup!' argument we see every year is one of the dumbest things on the message boards. None of us has access to how these guys perform on the practice field.

I guarantee you if someone is clearly outplaying the starter day in and day out on the practice field, he's gonna play.

Not sure it is any dumber than a head coach saying a starting QB will play the next eight games - or any position player for that matter. After 1/3 of the season I cannot think of any instance a coach should come out and say so and so will be playing the balance of the games this year.....sorry I do not agree with that line of thinking or instilling that level of comfort for any player. Of course I don't earn $4M per year for a 13 year body of work that is challenging C+ performance.

I do love your blind, unquestioning faith, and refusal to even consider that Ferentz doesn't do everything well.

That you get that from me says far more about your judgement than it does mine.

Weisman playing fb and getting short yardage carries along with play action looks with other productive RBs getting carries was 100% optimal use of everyones talents. It might not have been optimal for Weismans stat line but it was optimal for the TEAM

That you get that from me says far more about your judgement than it does mine.

Weisman playing fb and getting short yardage carries along with play action looks with other productive RBs getting carries was 100% optimal use of everyones talents. It might not have been optimal for Weismans stat line but it was optimal for the TEAM

EASY on the logic there.

This says a lot about Kirk. It says he's loyal to a fault, which we've always known. There is no way JVB deserves to keep starting without hesitation. He is currently the worst QB in the B1G. Even when he has all day to throw he's still missing his receivers or throwing the ball away for no apparent reason. I don't know what happened to him, but he just doesn't have it this season.

or it says he knows more about the state of the backup quarterback position on his team at this time than we do?

When Iowa starts its B1G schedule, you'll see the same kind of degradation in Weisman's performance as you've seen with Shonn Greene in the pros. Three words: lacking in speed. Probably an injury.

When everyone's healed, airbhg willing, he'll go back to the position most suited to his talents: FB. Just give him the ball every now and then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Stanzi
This says a lot about Kirk. It says he's loyal to a fault, which we've always known. There is no way JVB deserves to keep starting without hesitation. He is currently the worst QB in the B1G. Even when he has all day to throw he's still missing his receivers or throwing the ball away for no apparent reason. I don't know what happened to him, but he just doesn't have it this season.

or it says he knows more about the state of the backup quarterback position on his team at this time than we do?

If that's the case then next year could definitely be as difficult, if not worse, then this season.

When Iowa starts its B1G schedule, you'll see the same kind of degradation in Weisman's performance as you've seen with Shonn Greene in the pros. Three words: lacking in speed. Probably an injury.

When everyone's healed, airbhg willing, he'll go back to the position most suited to his talents: FB. Just give him the ball every now and then.

Fail. The ten yard burst is the single most important "speed" trait of a RB. Its been reported hes got the fastest time on the team.

Breaking in new QB's is rarely without some struggle.

Look around the league this year. MSU and Wisconsin are struggling mightily at that position after replacing two very good players a year ago. Quarterback play in the league on the whole is pretty poor. Established QB's in Illinois and Michigan are not playing well, and you can throw JVB in that category, too.

Then that's on Kirk. To not have a capable backup at a position that, other than running back, is the most injury prone in football tells me that he's asleep at the wheel either in recruiting or in development. At a high-level B1G school, that is unfathomable and unacceptable.

Agreed Duff. I have been writing and saying that Weisman is the fastest to and through the point of attack since Fred Russell. I believe it.

Then that's on Kirk. To not have a capable backup at a position that, other than running back, is the most injury prone in football tells me that he's asleep at the wheel either in recruiting or in development. At a high-level B1G school, that is unfathomable and unacceptable.

Give me the list of the other capable backups in the Big Ten, right now. And I would suggest packing a lunch.

way to sidestep that one rico. someone points out the fail in your logic and you claim to not care. face it, you're upset and looking for ANYTHING to complain about

It isn't my job to know and frankly I don't care. I don't root for those teams. In fact, I hope they DON'T have a capable backup.

Wait, so you don't know exactly what you are debating? Hmm.

Given the play this year by the front line starters in the Big Ten, they likely don't.

Bielema has made a change, although he has benched a first year player for a walk on. That makes two former walk on QB's starting in the Big Ten this year.

Most college programs don't have stellar backups and there is a big drop from 1 to 2. QB's don't want to go sit. They can star in lower leagues and play right away and get the attention of the NFL. Very few programs stockpile talent at QB

Nothing would make me want to come to practice and bust my tail more as the backup QB then having the head coach say that no matter what the guy in front of me does wrong, I am not getting in the game.

Nothing would make me want to come to practice and bust my tail more as the backup QB then having the head coach say that no matter what the guy in front of me does wrong, I am not getting in the game.

Yet it's not like that. If someone is starring in practice with #2 reps, that's different. However, that's not happening in Iowa City right now.

Yet it's not like that. If someone is starring in practice with #2 reps, that's different. However, that's not happening in Iowa City right now.

So what your telling me is that either Vandenberg has looked like Peyton Manning in practice, or we can expect to only win 3 games next year because we won't have a QB?

This is part of the problem with the program in my opinion. Competition breeds hunger and fire, and no one can sit back and expect to play based on the fact they have been there before. Maybe the threat of coming out for a series or two might do JVB some good and help him get some focus back. I just don't understand how a 5th year QB can regress, especially when the offensive line has given him all day in the pocket the last 3 games. If our backups can't read a blitz or see an open man any better than he has, then I might as well expect another horrible year next year and a half empty Kinnick by October.

So what your telling me is that either Vandenberg has looked like Peyton Manning in practice, or we can expect to only win 3 games next year because we won't have a QB?

This is part of the problem with the program in my opinion. Competition breeds hunger and fire, and no one can sit back and expect to play based on the fact they have been there before. Maybe the threat of coming out for a series or two might do JVB some good and help him get some focus back. I just don't understand how a 5th year QB can regress, especially when the offensive line has given him all day in the pocket the last 3 games. If our backups can't read a blitz or see an open man any better than he has, then I might as well expect another horrible year next year and a half empty Kinnick by October.

That is what he is telling you, yes. It is very concerning that we don't have a QB that is practicing at a level that even makes the coaching staff give pause.

Second, JVB hasn't regressed, he was horrible last year too. Everyone talks about 25 TD passes but some of us saw this coming.

That is what he is telling you, yes. It is very concerning that we don't have a QB that is practicing at a level that even makes the coaching staff give pause.

Second, JVB hasn't regressed, he was horrible last year too. Everyone talks about 25 TD passes but some of us saw this coming.

I was ripped apart last year on here when I said there was no way JVB was going to get drafted, including by Jon. Even the game in the Horseshoe against Ohio State, people seem to forget the interceptions and at least 2 other interceptions.

I really am not trying to rip on just JVB, this is more about how the program got to this point. How can we blame attrition for lack of a QB, unless the coaches really brought Derby aboard planning on him being a QB (which I can't really believe). Have we had other QB's leave?

I was ripped apart last year on here when I said there was no way JVB was going to get drafted, including by Jon. Even the game in the Horseshoe against Ohio State, people seem to forget the interceptions and at least 2 other interceptions.

I really am not trying to rip on just JVB, this is more about how the program got to this point. How can we blame attrition for lack of a QB, unless the coaches really brought Derby aboard planning on him being a QB (which I can't really believe). Have we had other QB's leave?

Well JD is staying consistent - I don't think he is talking NFL Draft anymore, but two weeks ago he claimed that he is the QB he would choose out of all of them in the B1G for our "current system."

Latest posts