Is There A Tougher City To Play In Overall???

Fryowa

Administrator
Football, MBB, WBB, and wrestling are a combined 34-3 at home this year and all four are ranked. A quick perusal tells me that’s tops in the nation but I could be wrong.

Is there a college town that’s more brutal to visiting teams overall??

Football, MBB, WBB, and wrestling are a combined 34-3 at home this year and all four are ranked. A quick perusal tells me that’s tops in the nation but I could be wrong.

That's a good question but it brings back memories of the mid to late eighties when Gable alone made Carver a torture chamber for visitors. Vivian Stringer wasn't far behind.

For all of its lack of aesthetics and look of a sterile chamber Carver will rock when the building is (close to full) and the team on the floor is reppin'. I have no ass left from the number of times I've kicked it for not even watching the Penn State wrestling match on TV, let alone making the trek down. I didn't even have a high school basketball or Dubuque Fighting Saints hockey conflict that night. Shame on me!

I have no ass left from the number of times I've kicked it for not even watching the Penn State wrestling match on TV, let alone making the trek down. I didn't even have a high school basketball or Dubuque Fighting Saints hockey conflict that night. Shame on me!
That thing was sold out as soon as it went on sale and StubHub was $400 on up plus fees for a single ticket leading up to the meet. Every reporter I’ve heard, and two guys from work who go to both basketball and wrestling since Gable’s days said it was the loudest they’ve ever heard it when Kemerer turned Hall.

I watched it on tv and it was still epic! Was exciting that it came down to final two matches, it shouldn’t have been that close in the first place. If it wasn’t for Kemerer defeating Hall, we would be at a different talking point. The Desanto injury hurt us. But what hurt even more was the Marinelli loss.

I was there for Iowa-Wrestling and can confirm that the Kemerer match was as loud as I've heard it there since I began covering Iowa in '97. Wrestling and basketball crowd are different but both have been great this season.

Did you actually watch the movie?
I saw an on line video of where Director John Carpenter was speaking and taking questions from a large group of people a few years ago. One guy in the crowd asked Carpenter something along the lines in regards to Escape From LA "What were you thinking when you made they piece of crap movie." John's response was "F You!" and he flipped him the middle finger and the crowd erupted into laughter..

It is a pretty bad movie, they almost made another one called Escape From Earth, but it never got off the ground. Now, Escape From New York is an awesome film!!

When did you become Bartas agent? I see you trying to get him extended and another raise.... jk

Needless to say that's pretty big damn big. Has to be as good as it's ever been while I've been old enough to pay attention.

I saw an on line video of where Director John Carpenter was speaking and taking questions from a large group of people a few years ago. One guy in the crowd asked Carpenter something along the lines in regards to Escape From LA "What were you thinking when you made they piece of crap movie." John's response was "F You!" and he flipped him the middle finger and the crowd erupted into laughter..

It is a pretty bad movie, they almost made another one called Escape From Earth, but it never got off the ground. Now, Escape From New York is an awesome film!!
Carpenter directed Escape From New York as well if I'm not mistaken.

Cedar Falls, IA has been mighty tough. UNI is 32-3 combined at home in the above mentioned sports this school year. That's a winning percentage of 91.4%. Iowa has a winning percentage of 91.8% this school year in the above mentioned sports. Seems like Eastern Iowa in general has been very tough on visitors.

Cedar Falls, IA has been mighty tough. UNI is 32-3 combined at home in the above mentioned sports this school year. That's a winning percentage of 91.4%. Iowa has a winning percentage of 91.8% this school year in the above mentioned sports. Seems like Eastern Iowa in general has been very tough on visitors.
Jacobsen is going to get some major play this spring when coaching vacancies start popping up. Especially if he makes a run in the tournament. I don't care how long UNI has him locked up.

Unless he has Patty Fitz type loyalty toward his Alma mater his name is going to be hot. He is too good a coach to not be in a power conference, and UNI is coming back after a couple mediocre years.

Jacobsen is going to get some major play this spring when coaching vacancies start popping up. Especially if he makes a run in the tournament. I don't care how long UNI has him locked up.

Unless he has Patty Fitz type loyalty toward his Alma mater his name is going to be hot. He is too good a coach to not be in a power conference, and UNI is coming back after a couple mediocre years.

He got major play after they beat Kansas in 2008 and after their last great season in 2015. In fact, I think he interviewed for more than one major conference position. Texas A and M might have been one of them. I don't sense Jacobsen is seeking a ton of fame or money like alot of the higher profile coaches do and that he likes being in the upper midwest closer to his home.

If I were him I would be looking at the lack of strength in the Missouri Valley Conference post Creighton and Wichita State (and the downfall of Southern Illinois) and how that has taken alot of respect away from the conference. For about a 10-15 year period it was possible for the Valley to be a 2-bid league because they had 4 teams who regularly had great seasons which allowed those teams to get games against tougher non-conference opponents and it also increased the SOS for the conference. The annual ESPN Bracketbuster event also raised their profile a bit. Now you have to win the conference tournament every year to get in the NCAA tournament. P-5 teams just have to put together a good enough resume.

It is possible Jacobsen may leave after this season rather than go through 3 or 4 more years of build up to the next great season, or perhaps he is waiting to pounce when Fran retires/leaves? He's about 10 years younger than Fran. Jacobson is a tough nut to crack. He could have left a long time ago for a P-5 job and at least gotten an interview with most of them, but he hasn't. Perhaps he just loves Cedar Falls and is content being there, or maybe he's holding out for the perfect opportunity to jump at. Since he hasn't followed the same path alot of successful mid major coaches have it is possible his next destination, if he leaves, will be some place totally out of left field.

Baylor doesn't have wrestling, so you have include volleyball to have their top 4 sports. For the 19-20 school year, Baylor is 47-1 in Waco in football, volleyball, mens' and womens' basketball in Waco.

Latest posts