Is there a fieldhouse preservation group?

Hawknick

Banned
Is there an active group to oppose the university's plans to demolish the historic Iowa Fieldhouse? That building has more history than most any in the state. I would also like to see it saved as a practice facility and backup sports venue. The university should stop building new facilities when this grand old facility is there.

I totally agree with you on this. Why not keep it around? Do they need more parking or what? Why not renovate it and give it a face lift?

I think I know just the guy to start up that preservation group. He goes by Hawknick on the HN message boards. ;)

Thanks I will do my part as an amateur historian. It would take all kinds. We already lost both armories and Iowa Field so I hope this does not fall to the same fate.

How much does it cost to maintain or renovate?

A lot.

Seriously though, that's going to depend on a whole lot of different factors. Like how extensive the renovations are, etc. I'm not a contractor so I won't even begin to speculate.

Last edited:
Finishing undergrad in 2010 and grad in 2012 at Iowa, I've been able to see the good and bad transition from field house to the new campus rec center. I'll admit I wasn't around during the days when Iowa bball and wrestling used the facility for games and matches. Those were probably great, but the place seems like a money pit. The only thing that I saw of use for it after the new rec center opened was the gym space and racquetball courts, only 2 or 3 bball courts at the new rec center. However, from what I heard at the time the rec center was just phase 1 and another phase is suppose to happen. If this is true I really hope they don't remove the courts until they are back up to the like 10-15 they had at the field house.

The renovation should cost less than new construction. Plus it would save a huge piece of history. The huge space even after phase 1 could be used for so much more. A backup to CHA, basketball practice, it could be rented out for events too. It is designed to be versatile.

I think the land is going to be turned into more buildings or an addition to already existing buildings for the hospital.

I have always thought Iowa should have kept a smaller gym (like a renovated fieldhouse) as a smaller venue for volleyball, even women's basketball. A small 2,500 or 5,000 seat gym would be a lot better for some sports.

I also think trying to save the fieldhouse is an exercise in futility. The UIHC is big, and growing. Pretty soon it will probably wrap around Kinnick.

We got by all this time without a hospital expansion we will get by in the future also. On the other hand the fieldhouse has served the people of Iowa in so many ways that it deserves better than a wrecking ball. Let the hospital use it's land and let the fieldhouse use it's land.

First the statement that a renovation will cost less then a new building is clearly uneducated guesswork. This is just often not the case.

Second, seriously you would stop a revenue producing expansion of the UIHC to save an old gym that will just cost money?

And don't bring up a bunch of non-revenue producing sports as the reason to keep it.

This isn't a structure with architectural or artistic significance. It is an old gym that has been chopped up several different ways and barely resembles its former self.

Get over it.

The UIHC is building 3 identical towers where the parking garage used to stand between the hospital and Kinnick. Is there plans to demolish the Fieldhouse? If so, why would they build a street through the middle of it and not just knock it down now?

The UIHC is building 3 identical towers where the parking garage used to stand between the hospital and Kinnick. Is there plans to demolish the Fieldhouse? If so, why would they build a street through the middle of it and not just knock it down now?

They don't have enough basketball courts in the rec center right now. Whenever they decide to expand that, the fieldhouse is likely coming down soon after.

I found this article from the DI back in December of 2011:

But after eight decades of housing Hawkeye athletics, the Field House's days are numbered. Once Phase II of the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center is completed — the plan is currently in the design phase and will include the addition of another swimming pool and more basketball courts — the Field House will bid adieu. It will be torn down to make way for expansion of the UI Hospitals and Clinics, said Harry Ostrander, the director of Recreational Services.
The house the Hawks built: Field House?s 100 year history dimming soon - The Daily Iowan

What the CRWC is lacking that the FH has is multiple activity rooms (for wrestling, bjj, akido, table tennis, racquetball) and adequate bball/vball court space for a B10 University rec center. So it seems some of those concerns will be addressed. I don't know how important the FH classrooms are to the University.

I do like that the FH provides a quick alternative for those students and employees on the west side of campus. However with the new CRWC it's need isn't as great. And the amount of space/volume it takes up is a lot too. I would think minimal improvements to the Rec Center next to Kinnick could address some of the west side demand. I do wish there were a clear walking path to get from the dorms to near Hawkins and Evashevski drive instead of walking out of the way to Melrose or through the Fieldhouse main street entrance (now demolished).

In one of my engineering seminars this past year I was told when Phase II of the CRWC is complete, the engineering research facilities south of the CRWC will be replaced on the hill of Riverside and Myrtle Avenue across the river.

Currently, they are only taking out the hallway between the basketball courts and the swimming pool. That's being turned into an entrance alley to the hospital.

As for the rest of the building, it will remain until the hospital needs the land for further expansion. There aren't any plans for such expansion right now, and not for the foreseeable future at this point (they're pretty occupied with expansion on the other side of the hospital at the moment). If/when such plans are put into motion, they'll break ground on the second phase of the rec center, which will include more basketball courts along with badminton/racquetball courts and another pool.

That's all info I got from Harry Ostrander, the director of rec services, when I was working on my Field House story last year.

Edit: Speak of the devil^.

The lazy river and rock climbing wall are sick....totally worth it having it included in tuition..#noworries

So if phase 2 of the rec center were to be stopped it would help save the fieldhouse long term. That might be the way to go. The fieldhouse does have architectural significance. In 1927 it held the largest indoor pool and track in the world. It also had the unique distinction of having balcony seating that was salvaged from Iowa field when Iowa (Kinnick) Stadium in 1929. I have pictures on my home pc if anyone wants to see them later I will post them.

I have some personal history with the Field House, but saving the building isn't on my list. There is some U of I sports history that went on in the building, but on the grand scale of history it doesn't merit retaining the building. There are ways to honor the building without keeping it.

We got by all this time without a hospital expansion we will get by in the future also. On the other hand the fieldhouse has served the people of Iowa in so many ways that it deserves better than a wrecking ball. Let the hospital use it's land and let the fieldhouse use it's land.

I'm a history guy. I love the look,tradition, and atmosphere of old school buildings like the fieldhouse. However, in this particular case, I think you might find people that believe the services provided by a state of the art training and research hospital are slightly more important than the services provided by a rec center. UIHC is a driving force for the university. For people who don't care for sports it is easily the most recognizable part of the university. I'd prefer an option where both needs could be met, but if a choice has to be made I am more than happy to sacrifice my preference of history and ambiance for the betterment of the hospital. Some people cling to tradition so much that it resists needed change. That is interesting in our particular fan base that seems to constantly ask our coaches, athletic department, etc to "get with the times" in order to make our sports better, but then fights that progressive nature of other things for the sake of tradition and history.

Latest posts