Is the SEC the best?

Parity in college football has grown immensely over the last couple decades. It's getting to be more of an "any given Saturday" type of environment (or any given Friday in this case).

One loss on the road to a decent team doesn't DQ them from the championship game, imo. Every team had at least one loss this year. I would have loved to see them play LSU given LSU earned the right to be there.

Having two teams from the same conference in the CG is like incest. It's detrimental to the species (the sport) because it greatly reduces the overall diversity of the environment. Two teams from the same conference play each other and the vast majority of their opponents are also the same set of teams. Very little diversity leads to very limited data.

It's very hard to draw conclusions from such a set of data. Maybe LSU and Alabama were head and shoulders better. But maybe not. Having OkSt. play would have widened the data set greatly.

I have to agree that the championship game left a bad taste in my mouth as I believe it took a little away from the regular season win that LSU had over Alabama although ultimately I think the two teams were the best in the country. I think a playoff needs to be done or a +1 to really allow the best teams to compete against each other and be fair to all.

A playoff system doesn't alleviate the problem we had this year. In fact, it exacerbates the problem. The more playoff spots there are the more likely two teams from a single conference could end up playing each other.

Latest posts