Is the Purdue game a must win?

What percent chance do you give Iowa to win on the road at Purdue?

• Less than 30%

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 40%

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 50/50

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 60%

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • 70% or more

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's the probabilities of Hawkeyes going 1-2 or 0-3 after Purdue? Did anyone ever tried to that? I like to seee what his thoughts compared to mine . Okay, Your turn.

Northwestern lost by two points at Indiana and took Michigan to OT. I watched both of those games. Those won't be layups for the Hawks.
Northwestern does a good job of balancing their roster, making sure they always have three or four seniors to lead the way. Every year you think they lose much of their punch, then they come back with another class that seems like it's been there seven years. I thought for sure they would be sunk when McIntosh, Lindsay, Skelly and that group left. Now you watch them and they've been replaced but Vic Law, Derek Pardon and Jordan Ash. Ryan Taylor is there as a grad transfer. Then it looks like more heavy losses and then you realize that Collins will get Falzon, Hall and AJ Turner ready for next year.

Gene Keady used to do a good job of doing that. Lute Olson to an extent as well. Two coaches who never got caught with their pants down when it came to making sure they had a nucleus of upperclassmen to navigate the B1G wars.

Last edited:
What's the probabilities of Hawkeyes going 1-2 or 0-3 after Purdue? Did anyone ever tried to that? I like to seee what his thoughts compared to mine . Okay, Your turn.

Next 3 gms after Purdue:

Jan. 6, Neb, home
Jan 9, @ NW
Jan. 12, Ohio St, home

Since the Purdue gm is on the 3rd, we will play 4 gms in 9 days!! That can't be good.

Next 3 gms after Purdue:

Jan. 6, Neb, home
Jan 9, @ NW
Jan. 12, Ohio St, home

Since the Purdue gm is on the 3rd, we will play 4 gms in 9 days!! That can't be good.

And while those games are winnable, they are also losable.

Hard to say "must win" with 18 conference games left, but kinda feels like one Iowa needs to get.. If for psychie's sake more than anything else. But it's not my psychie that matters. 0-3 vs 1-2.. Feels like a big difference, though. Don't want to see things snowball.

Given our 0-2 start, can we afford to go 0-3 in conference play?
This is a road game but in my humble opinion, a winable game. While Carsen Edwards is among the elite players not only in the conf., but also the entire country, his supporting cast is not as powerful as in years past. He can go off for 30 points any game and gets them in every possible way: cutting to the basket, 3 point shooting, steals, free-throw shooting, coast to coast. He prolly has more layups than any other player in the conf.
Better to let him get his and shut down the entire rest of the team, or double-team him as much as possible and hold him under 20?
I predict Fran will decide to play him man up with JBo which will yield a 1,000 layups in the the first half. No win is a must have for the Hawklets as we've been let down virtually evey year he's been at Iowa and we are a middling Big Ten team again. To state this is a must win game is to assume we have some reasonable chance of being in the hunt for a first division run (forget Big Ten Championship EVER) and we don't so NO no game is a must win conference game. It just is what it is.

Great being undefeated OOC, BUT, BIG is loaded and athletic. There are literally ZERO 'gimme' games (even Rutgers looks decent). Have a bad feeling like a 6-14 BIG record. Hope I am wrong tho.

Every game is a Must Win in the conference. Every home game is certainly a MUST WIN because the away games are brutal and usually vicious.....

Our chances of making TheDance depend on holding home court and winning at least two games on the road which will give us a 10-10 record. With one win in the B1G Tournament, we should be a lock for TheDance.....

Stopping Carson Edwards will be key to a win. Denying him the ball and making it difficult to quickly bring the ball downcourt will help. On the perimeter, JoeW just might be able to contain him. He has the ability to stay in front of him and the size and length to contest his three-point attempts. Putting JoeW, Dailey and the Bear on him should tire him out.....

Of course, we will need Joe to stay out of foul trouble. This is a winnable game and we have to win this one.....

Garza not being able to play will not be a positive factor.....

And again, that GD WI game is going to hurt bad. We are going to play many conf teams better than that.

Gotta go 10-10 in conference to have a chance at the Dance. 7-3 at home 3-7 on the road and we're off to a bad start in this regard. Gotta get one of those 3 vs. Purdue.

If we start 0-3, I think we still have a chance to get to 5.00 which is where I think we need to be to get a ticket punched.

If we lose to Purdue, I'd have us at 3-8 after losing to Michigan at home on Feb 1st. The next 3 are at Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana. I'd say that's our best chance of putting 3 in a row to get to 7-8. We'd likely lose to Ohio State on the road going to 7-9. Which leaves Rutgers at home and then if we can get 1 win on the road at Wiscy or at Nebraska, we'd be 9-11.

I'll say it's too early to call this game against Purdue a must win but if we don't win, it'll likely create future must win situations later on. I like the way the team is playing but I'm still nervous going into conference play that the bubble will burst.

Every game is a Must Win in the conference. Every home game is certainly a MUST WIN because the away games are brutal and usually vicious.....

Our chances of making TheDance depend on holding home court and winning at least two games on the road which will give us a 10-10 record. With one win in the B1G Tournament, we should be a lock for TheDance.....

Stopping Carson Edwards will be key to a win. Denying him the ball and making it difficult to quickly bring the ball downcourt will help. On the perimeter, JoeW just might be able to contain him. He has the ability to stay in front of him and the size and length to contest his three-point attempts. Putting JoeW, Dailey and the Bear on him should tire him out.....

Of course, we will need Joe to stay out of foul trouble. This is a winnable game and we have to win this one.....

Garza not being able to play will not be a positive factor.....
Is Garza for sure out vs Purdue? I know he won't play Friday.

I believe his status is still uncertain.....

We certainly could use him against the Boilermakers.....

I am fairly certain that he won't play tonight healthy or not.....

:cool: