Is the coaching staff nuts if.....

At some point, you've got to have confidence in your coverage. Try to kick it deep with good hang time (obviously), but you don't want to kick it out of bounds b/c you are trying to avoid a potentially dangerous return man.

There is always the option of kicking it to one of the up men and giving them the ball at the 30+ yard line. I say kick deep and trust your coverage.

Just kick it to the other return man on kickoffs. On punts, put it out of bounds. Donahue is more than good enough to get good distance and still angle it out. This is not so much a disrespect to the coverage units, but rather sign of respect for Gilreath's ability. This is going to be a dogfight, where one big play can make the difference. Gilreath is capable of delivering that big play every time he touches the ball.

Kick it to him. How many returns for TD does he have? I don't think he is Devon Hester is he?

Meyer's kickoffs confuse me. When he kicks more of a line drive kick he normally kicks it out of the endzone or deep into it. Not sure why he doesn't do that all the time. I know you want some hang time on the kickoffs if you have a run back, but it's always better to get a touchback.

Meyer has been pretty consistently making the end zone,altho it is generally a line drive. That is dangerous,if it is not deep enough to keep Gilreath in the end zone.

This kid is a game-breaker,so Iowa has to be ready,and make sure to have a safety guy back there,this defense can stop them anywhere but in their end zone.

IIRC, Iowa has owned Gilreath for three years. His bones are made of balsa wood. There isn't an easier arm tackled guy in the B10. Does he have return yards of note against us???

Ohio State has given up at least two kickoff returns for TDs... he is not Hester, Dante Hall, Mel Gray, Cribbs, etc. Let's calm down a little bit.

We should be careful, to be sure, but I'm not sure if Gilreath is necessarily a kick-return phenom.

For any opponent, it's the same. Kick it deep, but give it airtime, so that the coverage can get down and contain the return man. Then it's just play disciplined coverage.

Latest posts