Is Stanley arm throwing and guiding his passes?

uihawk82

I haven't seen a lot of replays or really looked at his hips and footwork but he seems, especially on short passes to wide open receivers (yes we sometimes have some wide open receivers toward the sidelines), to be throwing with just upper body and mostly arms. Anybody who has played baseball or thrown a football knows you have to get the feet legs and hips into the throw to be accurate both vertically and horizontally.

I will try to watch some more replays but if some of you have the creds and have looked this over please chime in.

The pass in the ISU game he threw to set up the lone TD looked great with his lead foot stepping into the throw, hips opening, back arched to put some air and touch on it and a good arm action and follow through. And maybe it is just his follow through is off on some of these short passes which would make them either sail or if holding on too long nose dive to the turf.

If he can get it fix he will be very very good with numbers like last year.

I thought he looked much better last Saturday but still was aiming his passes vs throwing them. I can’t speak to his footwork, though I’ll rewatch the game this week.

I thought Iowa made a point of giving him easy throws to start the game and he looked more comfortable to me live. I can’t speak to his footwork.

Chuck Long on the play byplay was hitting on his footwork and even a side-armed throw.

Well I will have a relook but if Long thought his footwork was off then that is not good. And most of the best QBs, the PA trio of Namath, Marino, and Montana, all had that ball up cocked behind their head level and whistled it right past the earhole on their helmet, which was described as a great motion.

I thought he looked much better last Saturday but still was aiming his passes vs throwing them. I can’t speak to his footwork, though I’ll rewatch the game this week.

I thought Iowa made a point of giving him easy throws to start the game and he looked more comfortable to me live. I can’t speak to his footwork.

He was much better statistically (some drops in the first two games hurt his %) and he made some accurate throws. But he has been totally short arming SHORT passes to wide open dump down receivers and these will kill drives. those need to be about a 90% completion percentage or higher.

He was much better statistically (some drops in the first two games hurt his %) and he made some accurate throws. But he has been totally short arming SHORT passes to wide open dump down receivers and these will kill drives. those need to be about a 90% completion percentage or higher.

I'd say the drops are balanced out by some of the great grabs guys have made when he's thrown bad balls. Lots of low passes and balls behind the receiver where he was bailed out by the WR/TE/RB

Not taking anything away from Stanley or trying to start a QB controversy, but I love what I'm seeing in Mansell at this point and think we've got a lot to look forward to down the road.

He's not going to be any better this week. Most of his throws will be 90-mph darts, trying to thread the needle, while on the run. He's going to have very little time to progress the routes, let alone, to work on his basics for touch and accuracy.

I'd say the drops are balanced out by some of the great grabs guys have made when he's thrown bad balls. Lots of low passes and balls behind the receiver where he was bailed out by the WR/TE/RB

Yeah I thought Stanley had much better throws last week compared to the ISU game where several were short-armed.

It obviously wasn’t perfect but I thought it was a step forward is all I’m saying.

the problem starts between his ears. He needs moxy and chutzpa. However he has all the tangibles. This O does not have an on the field leader and for that reason they'll sputter until they do have a leader.

My advice to Brian is to let him run with the ball on the first play of every game to get the nerves out.

Not taking anything away from Stanley or trying to start a QB controversy, but I love what I'm seeing in Mansell at this point and think we've got a lot to look forward to down the road.

I'm probably in the minority, but I found myself a bit disappointed in Mansell. He has good wheels and a good arm but that pick he threw indicated he has a long ways to go. Chuck Long didn't know who he was even throwing that too.

I do get that he's just getting his feet wet but just saying let's tamp the brakes a bit.

I'm probably in the minority, but I found myself a bit disappointed in Mansell. He has good wheels and a good arm but that pick he threw indicated he has a long ways to go. Chuck Long didn't know who he was even throwing that too.

I do get that he's just getting his feet wet but just saying let's tamp the brakes a bit.

His pick was a classic case of deciding before the snap where he was throwing it. It looked like there was a receiver running downfield and Peyton never looked at the linebacker.

He's not going to be any better this week. Most of his throws will be 90-mph darts, trying to thread the needle, while on the run. He's going to have very little time to progress the routes, let alone, to work on his basics for touch and accuracy.
Which was what he did last year with great success.
It was only the long ball that needed touch.
He is totally over thinking it.
He has shown he can drop a long ball in there and his short game was fine before.
He just needs to play loose.

KF said last week that it looked to him like NS was aiming his passes, pressing and trying to be perfect. He looked better Saturday. He'll need to be much better this week.

Footwork, definitely the footwork. He's rushing his throws a lot and throwing off balance a lot. Even a bunch of his "good passes" against UNI were rushed and his footwork was messed up. He's been pretty good on the long throws but the short routes especially he has had horrendous footwork on, the intermediates a little bit, but the short throws is where you can really see it. He seems to be depending on his big arm and stature in those shorter routes and forgetting his mechanics.