Is Speed The Only Thing Missing From Our Receivers?

hawkod

Speed is fabulous to have anywhere on the team, but especially at wideout. That being said, I definitely think there are other attributes that are more important for our receivers. One is the ability to get open, and the other is catching the ball. The getting open part can be more dependent on the player's brain than his physical tools; holding onto a pass once it's touched can be very mental as well.

Multiple times this past season I caught myself flashing back to 1985, Chuck Long's senior season. Yes, I'm old---even older than Jon Miller. Sure Chuck was a great passer, but he didn't have a great arm. But the main thing that would keep reappearing in my mind was Billy Happel and Scott Helverson cradling and gathering in passes. To ensure my memory is intact I poked around on Totalfootballstats.com and pulled up the following archived stats on our receivers that year:

Ronnie Harmon 60 catches/699 yards 1 TD 11.65 yds/catch long: 60 yds
Billy Happel 59 catches/901 yards 8 TD 15.27 yds/catch long: 39 yds
Scott Helverson 54 catches/703 yards 5 TD 13.02 yds/catch long: 46 yds

Happel and Helverson were Iowa kids, and unless you're Tim Dwight you know what that means about your time in the 40. This is proven by looking at their long plays for the year: Happel catches 59 balls but his long is only 39; Helverson similar: 54 catches with long of 46. That's a lot of receptions with no huge plays. But what is key is their average yards/catch: 15 and 13. We were throwing the ball more than 4 yards up the field! Both these guys caught countless out patterns a yard past the down marker; they weren't fast, but they got open and Long laid the ball on the mark ON TIME.

Get kids that know the game--if they're speedy so much the better. Run an offense that looks upfield more than 5 yards. Get an accurate QB and CATCH THE BALL!

Hawkod, you just committed the unpardonable sin to bring up Long's arm in negative light....

Will say that except for the Rose Bowl, other teams had their hands full keeping tabs on Ronnie Harmon.

SPEED?

Damn I hope not!!!!!!!

Cocaine: this is an extremely powerful stimulant that is very addictive and has damaging effects on the brain of any animal that uses it. Cocaine is made from cocoa leaves and has been abused as narcotic substance for well over 100 years. Mostly manufactured in the South America’s the pure version is called cocaine hydrochloride.

Crack: This is a much powerful and dangerous form of cocaine known as crack cocaine. It is actually the free-base form of the cocaine (“crackâ€￾). Crack is actually cocaine that has not been neutralized by any acid base that makes the hydrochloride salt which is cocaine in its most raw form. Crack is a rock crystal that is heated and the vapors inhaled. The name “crackâ€￾ comes from the crackling sound one hears when the rock crystal is being heated.

Heroin: this highly addictive drug is a fast acting opiate. It is processed from morphine, a potent substance extracted out of the seed pod of poppy plants. Known on the street as black tar, heroin is usually injected and can lead to the worst addictive drug because it can be cut with other drugs such as crack and cocaine.

Hydrocodone: Known as antitussive (otherwise a cough suppressant) this is a prescription drug for mild to severe pain that has been abused for its neurotic qualities. It is one of the most popular cough suppressants and is equally as powerful in pain neutralizers as morphine.

Inhalants: This is not just any one drug but a combination of volatile solvents, nitrates, and gases. The inhalants are sniffed, snorted and inhaled to acquire a dunk feeling much like that of alcohol. The most popular inhalants are glue, cigarette lighter fluid, household cleaning fluids, and painting products. This is the most popular drug for minors to abuse as it is normally found around the home and access is free.

LSD: What is known as a lysergic acid compound that is a derivative of from ergot, the fungus used to develop on rye grass. More known for its therapeutic value it can also be abused.

Marijuana: The most comm. Illegal drug, marijuana or ganja is a dry, shredded mix of flowers, stems, seeds, and leaves of from the naturally grown Cannabis sativa. Though it is addictive is does have neurotic effects that can quickly damage the brain.

MDMA (Ecstasy): A terrible drug that is synthetic and psychoactive dedicated to creating a hallucinogenic fervor. Acting as a stimuli and psychedelic Ecstasy creates an energy effect and creates distortions in reality, time and perception of the taker and ultimately creates a seemingly joyful experience.

Methamphetamine (Crystal Meth): Quickly becoming the drug of choice in the USA. Its is a deadly drug that is highly addictive and detrimental to the human central nervous system. Its stimulant properties can cause serious brain damage in passive smokers and inhalers of the drug as well.

OxyContin®: This is actually a prescription drug that in some countries can be found over the counter or OTC. It is a painkiller prescribed for moderate and acute pain relief caused by physical injuries, arthritis, back pains, and pain felt during cancer treatments.

Anabolic steroids: These are laboratory produced variants of male hormone testosterone. These are used to promote muscle growth, however has some very damaging side effects such as brain damage and heart attacks.

Let's hope these are missing too.;)

Last edited:
In a horizontal passing attack it is more about quickness than speed. I think we have speed but we have long striders that must go downfield so they have time to create separation with speed. We need guys that can create separation quickly.

Here's the deal. If you're a QB, you can have the biggest cannon west of the Rockies and run a 4.5, but if you have accuracy problems...well, good luck selling insurance or whatnot.

Likewise, if you're a receiver, you can be the tallest, fastest, gun-armed mofo around. But if you can't clutch that rock, well...those bars ain't gonna tend themselves.

At Iowa, we've gone and recruited receivers who are not only short and slow, but abstain from catching the ball too. Coupled with a QB who's pretty unathletic but compensates with consistent inaccuracy. What could possibly go wrong?

Very goog point. I cant belive this doesnt get talked about. Our recivers not only had a big problem catching the ball. But also had trouble running good routes. They often were not on the same page as the QB. When I see JV missing guys by 10 yds I know they arnt where they are suppose to be. He may miss a pass but not by that much. With SO MANY experts on these boards I cant belive no one noticed this.

They need these. Heck, they all need these. KF, Doyle, the receivers, the trainer girls, Herky, all the fans, and 2 Star Stan. Lots of them. Every day and twice on Sunday.
steroids1.jpg

Speed isn't the only thing missing from the receivers. In the past they didn't run good routes, they dropped balls all the time and lead the B1G or near the bottom consistently.

This past season, may times they didn't run to or past the 1st down marker on key 3rd/4th downs.

Maybe these new receivers coming in can overcome these issues because to me they are all coachable issues. Then again if the coaching staff hasn't done that by now what is to say they will?

All of those things are coachable, except speed. You can't teach speed, a kid is either fast or he isn't.

Football, especially college football, has changed quite a bit in the 27 some years since then. The "traditional" Kirk Ferentz offense is closer to back then and doesn't rely nearly as heavily on speed as Davis' does. Unfortunately, what followed when they joined forces was an ugly, unidentifiable mesh of the two that didn't really seem like it knew what it wanted to accomplish. The point being we need to pick which offense we're gonna run and if it's GD's, then we're gonna need the speed for it to be successful.

Dave I agree completly I think it is on Soups shoulders. He hasnt developed a reciver he recruited yet. Davis was the closest he has come. I do have hope for KMM. But I think he was shoved in before he was ready
Speed isn't the only thing missing from the receivers. In the past they didn't run good routes, they dropped balls all the time and lead the B1G or near the bottom consistently.

This past season, may times they didn't run to or past the 1st down marker on key 3rd/4th downs.

Maybe these new receivers coming in can overcome these issues because to me they are all coachable issues. Then again if the coaching staff hasn't done that by now what is to say they will?

All of those things are coachable, except speed. You can't teach speed, a kid is either fast or he isn't.

Don't knock the speed of Iowa kids. Maybe the guys you played against were slow but don't judge an entire state based on that.

The only thing missing was delivery of the damn ball in stride.
I watched multiple games (not involving Iowa) this year where receivers were blanketed and the qb would put the ball where the receiver could grab it in stride. Without having to fling himself headfirst into the dirt or contort against his current trajectory. And these passes were delivered (usually in the middle) on a routine basis. Only then I realized that we at Iowa have forgotten that most QBs have this skill. A receiver doesn't necessarily have to be standstill by himself with nobody within 10 yards of him to qualify as reception worthy.

Dave I agree completly I think it is on Soups shoulders. He hasnt developed a reciver he recruited yet. Davis was the closest he has come. I do have hope for KMM. But I think he was shoved in before he was ready

Soup said that Davis was one of the most naturally talented player he had ever coached. Shame he didn't have better career at Iowa. Don't know if that was on Soup, Keenan or GD/KOK play calling or what but he didn't have the career that many hoped he would. Then again, maybe it was just "coach speak", who knows.

KMM is a good kid had a pretty solid career for a slot/possession guy, he has 2 years left to make his mark on this program. He has done pretty well so far but I think with McNutt having his great WR numbers to overshadow it a little bit, not to mention the horrible offensive season this past year but I think KMM is getting the shalf. Then again if he steps it up over the next two years he will go down as an all-time great Iowa WR in my book.

I have a questions...why is no one calling for Soup's head? If any part of the team has underperformed the past two years, it's the receivers. I beef is that it's not missed assignments that pisses me off...it's not catching balls that are right in your freaking hands. That's just inexcusable in my opinion for a college player. We have had more drops than any team in the B10, outside of maybe MSU this year. Think about it...MSU's offensive coordinator was asked about why their offense has struggled so much and he said, 'because we haven't caught the ball like a college team and that's like turning the ball over.'

Well...think about how many drops the Hawkeyes have over the past two years. Soup...meet the hot seat.

definitely a struggle getting open and then catching the ball the last two years. too many drops. more importantly, too many drops in key times in the game, first series and last series of both halves and on third downs.

You are right, Speed is key, but the not main key. Positioning your body to catch the ball, running the right route & having some good hands are what is important. All you have to say is Jerry Rice. Not One single year was he ever the fastest reciever on the team. Not one.

But first things first, let's get a QB that can run KF's offense, can actually Look for a secondary receiver and has the ability to create on their own. I like this Nic Shimonek guy. But with Ferentz never playing the backup QB, because he is worried about the fans booing(which is ********) or how the media might question him, he won't see the field for 3 years, unless he can start as a freshman or there are injuries. I am not saying he has the skills, he just has some great tapes. So, let's hope that Jake, CJ or Sokol has what it takes to run a KF play not to lose offense.

Last edited:

Latest posts