Is Paterno handling his duties?

tweeterhawk

A columnist for the State College newspaper raises some interesting questions in view of the fact that Paterno, during halftime of the Northwestern game, asked to meet with Pat Fitzgerald's three young sons.

Is Paterno handling his duties?

The real issue is that Paterno hasn’t won enough games for the fans’ liking these last few years. They wouldn’t care if he were coaching from a wheelchair or from the Goodyear Blimp if the Nittany Lions were 8-0 and had beaten Alabama. They wouldn’t care if he never came to practice if the Nittany Lions beat Ohio State every year.

What those fans need to ask themselves is what have the major bugaboos have been with this team the last few years. Is it who is doing the playcalling or what the calls have been? Is it who is recruiting the quarterbacks or how the quarterback situation has been handled this season? Is Penn State losing star recruits because the coach is too old, or is it gaining star recruits because they want to play for Paterno or his well-regarded assistants? And would the answers to those questions be much different if Paterno were 48 instead of 84? If he was still walking six miles a day, as he did before his encounter with Devon Smith this summer?

Every story has more than one side. A recruit might have seen the Fitzgerald story on Akouris’ blog and said to himself: “Why would I want to play for a coach who isn’t in the locker room at halftime?†But the parent of another recruit might have seen the blog and said, “Joe didn’t have to talk to those kids, but he did. I want my son to play for someone like that.â€

Then there’s this sentiment, which was offered up on the Internet by a few astute fans (the unfortunately silent minority) this week: Paterno’s career, though it might seem otherwise, can’t continue forever. His days of coaching from the press box, or anywhere, are numbered. Fans who follow his program are left, then, with two choices: Wait for the end, hope Penn State can win as many games as possible in the duration, and soak in the final days — the good as well as the bad — of what has been an incredible career; or complain until the end arrives. Which choice will you make?​

The actual duties of head coaches can vary, insomuch that they are the CEO of the football program. Very very few head coaches actually call plays. So on the face of it, I'm not ready to claim Joe doesn't "handle his duties".

But when I see him on TV, sitting in the press box WITHOUT A HEADSET ON, I wonder WTF he is doing at the game.

Couldn't Penn St hire another head coach without having to fire JoePa? Just don't tell him he's been replaced. Let him wander around the practice field like a lost old man, put him up in a box during the game let him pretend to coach some more.

Paterno's duties as head coach is to be called the head coach. His presence there, for the time being, is what Penn State football is. The number of stories and amount of publicity the university gets each year due to him being their head coach is well worth having him around. Anyone who thinks he actually does anything coaching wise is a bit behind. Two years ago when he was in the box for the Iowa game he just hung out. No head gear or anything. Each time the showed him it was though he was watching the birds.

depends-adult-diapers.jpg

Oh, wait..... You said "Duties" not doodies.

There are increasing claims on the Penn State boards that this is it for Joe Paterno. Of course, there have been similar claims in the last few years but now even one of the moderators on the Scout board has said that there is a sign that something big is going to happen. He would not say what the sign was but I've never heard one of mods make such a claim before. Urban Meyer will be one of the candidates if he is interested. This past summer Meyer was at Penn State to interview Mike Mauti and reportedly had a two hour conversation with the Penn State AD. The Ohio State fans believe Meyer will coach at Ohio State if he coaches anywhere. One of their mods (nevadabuck) on their Scout site claimed that he was told that Meyer will be introduced as the OSU coach at the half-time of the Duke-OSU basketball game on November 29. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Couldn't Penn St hire another head coach without having to fire JoePa? Just don't tell him he's been replaced. Let him wander around the practice field like a lost old man, put him up in a box during the game let him pretend to coach some more.

Is this really necessary? He's one of the good guys in sports.

which is why he's still there, but I would bet the house he's not doing any "real work". I used to work with a 63 year old CEO senior citizen, and outside of filling up his coffee cup each morning, no work was had out of him (it all went to me).

Really Penn State hasn't won enough games the last few years?

2005: 11-1
2006: 9-4
2007: 9-4
2008: 11-2
2009: 11-2
2010: 7-6
2011: 7-1...

65-20 since 2005...Id take that any day of the week...

which is why he's still there, but I would bet the house he's not doing any "real work". I used to work with a 63 year old CEO senior citizen, and outside of filling up his coffee cup each morning, no work was had out of him (it all went to me).
Hilarious. Absolutely Hilarious. A 64 year old Brain Surgeon fixed an AV malformation in my cousin's brain. I am quite sure the 40 year old vascular neurosurgeon who scrubbed in kept his mouth shut and did gopher runs while the master worked his magic. Rumor has it that the old man is still cleaning up the messes the "punks" create in the OR>

Sounds like you have some anger about that. Why generalize?

Hilarious. Absolutely Hilarious. A 64 year old Brain Surgeon fixed an AV malformation in my cousin's brain. I am quite sure the 40 year old vascular neurosurgeon who scrubbed in kept his mouth shut and did gopher runs while the master worked his magic. Rumor has it that the old man is still cleaning up the messes the "punks" create in the OR>

Rumor has it the penn state's assistants have to clean up Paterno after he messes himself.

I agree, he can go out whenever he wants, but I do not believe he's doing the work of a D1 head college football coach. I believe there are many coaches on the staff that are picking up the bulk of the work for him.

What I find interesting, in light of the Northwestern half-story is this.

It shows that Paterno is clearly delegating the real football work to his assistants and is little more than a figure-head. So how does a guy with that kind of integrity, still take the check and call himself the head coach if he's essentially just going through the motions?

Latest posts