Is Panther wrestling safe?

Big cuts at UNI this week. Is Panther wrestling safe? or on the chopping block?

I really thought they were done a few years ago when athletic dept. cuts swept through UNI. At the time Penrith had run the program into the ground and they were embarrassing to watch. I really hope that they are in the clear now, but have no information.

Man, I would think they'd be safe now. Like CR said, they're finally improving and things are looking good for their future. I really hope they don't get axed.

They should be safe. I seem to remember hearing something recently about them renovating their facilities in the near future.

no and neither is bear wrestling... unless you're a guyyyy on a buffalooooooooo.

Worked out okay for the Saints.

pantherssaintsfight-628x317.jpg

Northern Iowa is at their minimum for sports. I'm not exactly certain of which rule it is, but it's something like each school is required to have a minimum number of male sports and a minimum number of female sports in order to compete in Division I athletics. Someone else will have to look up the rule, but it was in the newspapers when UNI cut their baseball team.

At the UNI-IA State wrestling meet they announced that Sandy Stephens and her family had donated money in order to renovate the wrestling facilities.

The following statement is only a guess and should not be taken as based on any facts other than my own imagination:
It may just be that each sport may have to do more fund-raising in order to support themselves, otherwise they'll get things cut for them from their budget (like assistant coach positions and who knows what else.)