Is NW the biggest game of the Ferentz Era?

...............just meaningless after the YUUUUUUGE Stanford beatdown at the Rosebowl the Hawks had no business being in..
I adjusted your sarcasm to more accurately reflect reality.

Your Hawks tend to be a fun team to watch on gameday, but you fans of this mid major team really torture yourselves with all these futile hopes of ever being anything more than simply being the biggest show in the state. Be happy with that. Outside of these 99 counties, the Hawks do not exist, nor will they ever be taken seriously as a relevant contender for anything more than maybe a coming in first in their division full of other ho-hum has been teams. Dial back your impossible dreams a few notches and just enjoy the game.

Your Hawks tend to be a fun team to watch on gameday, but you fans of this mid major team really torture yourselves with all these futile hopes of ever being anything more than simply being the biggest show in the state. Be happy with that. Outside of these 99 counties, the Hawks do not exist, nor will they ever be taken seriously as a relevant contender for anything more than maybe a coming in first in their division full of other ho-hum has been teams. Dial back your impossible dreams a few notches and just enjoy the game.

Dude, only 1 team wins it all each year. And that is all the really counts in the end. What they all shoot for in reality. So who is your team? Because they have undoubtedly not met that goal either.

brian's self evaluation was that he was perhaps the reason the offense stagnated, at times. this will be a pivotal game. if NS has reached a point where he can now command the offense and he and the wr's are on the same page, then the offense must start going through him, a la chuck long. if we see that this week, then we have, perhaps, turned the corner into a new ferentz era.

I think this week and the following week will tell a lot. I've seen it too many times in the KF era where his back is against the wall (and I wouldn't say that THIS is one of those times...exactly) and the Hawks come out looking like a different team. I think it was NW in 2013/2014 where the Hawks threw some deep passes, ran some reverses and just destroyed NW. The following week we go up to MN, return to our "normal" offense playcalling, and get destroyed.

So for me, I want to see improvement this week, and the following week to say that maybe the offense has turned the corner. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Iowa come out and gain 15 yards in the first half. Yet they'd still be winning 6-3 somehow

I think this week and the following week will tell a lot. I've seen it too many times in the KF era where his back is against the wall (and I wouldn't say that THIS is one of those times...exactly) and the Hawks come out looking like a different team. I think it was NW in 2013/2014 where the Hawks threw some deep passes, ran some reverses and just destroyed NW. The following week we go up to MN, return to our "normal" offense playcalling, and get destroyed.

So for me, I want to see improvement this week, and the following week to say that maybe the offense has turned the corner. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Iowa come out and gain 15 yards in the first half. Yet they'd still be winning 6-3 somehow

I think you're right about the NW game. My hope is that 2017 will be a sort of philosophical change season for Iowa to open up the offense. I still believe in running the ball and passing the ball, but you use the talent you have and right now we have a qb that has the potential to be a top 3 all timer at Iowa, in my opinion. I believe you can run to set up the pass and pass to set up the run, but running to set up the run is less productive; just as, passing to set up the pass would be. But we NEED to open our offense up and start scoring as many points (even too many points) every game. We should become merciless on offense.

Dude, only 1 team wins it all each year. And that is all the really counts in the end. What they all shoot for in reality. So who is your team? Because they have undoubtedly not met that goal either.
Actually, Dude, my football team HAS won a few championships, but they aren't a college team--they're the NY Giants. At least they were before the NFL ruined everything. Today I'm a tag-along fan of the Hawks but that's just because I work at UI and live in Iowa City and I have friends. I love going to the games and cheering. You guys should try it. It's a lot more fun than sitting in front of a computer bemoaning a level of awesomeness that just will never come to the Hawks. Enjoy what you got kids.

Actually, Dude, my football team HAS won a few championships, but they aren't a college team--they're the NY Giants. At least they were before the NFL ruined everything. Today I'm a tag-along fan of the Hawks but that's just because I work at UI and live in Iowa City and I have friends. I love going to the games and cheering. You guys should try it. It's a lot more fun than sitting in front of a computer bemoaning a level of awesomeness that just will never come to the Hawks. Enjoy what you got kids.

I am not the delusional one that believes Iowa should be a title contender every year. I am just saying that with the advent of the playoff, there really is only one winner every year. Everyone else fell short. Like in the NFL I have always said if a team doesn't win the Super Bowl they wasted their draft position if they made it into the playoffs. I think the way the playoff is now in college has lessened the bowls. Convenient also that you don't have a team in college. Just a casual fan on a college forum.

What, did you forget your password to CyFan? If I'm guessing...try DOUCHE.

Yeah that Big Ten title game a couple years back or most every game that season...............just meaningless compared to this YUUUUUUGE northwestern game on Saturday.

What's wrong with you people. Read the post...it was addressing whether this was the biggest game of the Brian Ferentz tenure as OC. He needs to get his offense going against a team with a pulse...NW presents that challenge. The reference was never for the Kirk Ferentz era...it was to get you to open the thread. Sorry, I'll dumb things down and be more direct so I don't confuse the mental midgets.

Nice call on that B10 championship game though.

What's wrong with you people. Read the post...it was addressing whether this was the biggest game of the Brian Ferentz tenure as OC. He needs to get his offense going against a team with a pulse...NW presents that challenge. The reference was never for the Kirk Ferentz era...it was to get you to open the thread. Sorry, I'll dumb things down and be more direct so I don't confuse the mental midgets.

Dude, the title does it. Let me dumb it down. Most people don't read the fine print. In a sense, this is a huge game for the Ferentz clan. K finally has in place his game. He has a decent QB, a stellar RB, and a linebacker out of this world. Lose this one and the KF legacy continues. Win this one and he's on the way to 8 wins.

NO way should Iowa lose this game. NW has only one decent win over a team that was in search of a QB.

Lose this and the mediocrity continues. Huge game.

As far as Brian, he shouldn't even be the OC yet. His sampling is very small. His biggest game was the terrible 1st half performance against PSU. His dumbest game was MSU. Up the middle, Up the middle, try and pass, punt.

It would be awesome to see Iowa come out and throw the ball for their entire scripted series(s). Doesn't even have to be deep passes, instead working Wadley in swing passes, screens, crossing....and of course what would really help, PLAY-ACTION!!!

How confused would NW be? How confused would we be? Just do to NW what they do to us, dink and dunk them to death until we start to get some space at the LOS, then we hit them with our running game.

Unfortunately, too often it appears passing is way too difficult of a concept for this offense.

I would also like to see multiple deep passes a game. Allow Stanely to adjust. Maybe even set it up that we throw deep on our longer 3rd downs to serve as a better punt if the DB does intercept the pass. Figure it can't really hurt can it? We either: Catch the pass. Get a Pass Interference, Incomplete, Interception. This of course assumes that the ball isn't 6 yards overthrown. Which is why I think he needs multiple attempts in a game. He'd have to figure it out by the 2nd/3rd attempt right?

I am hopeful that Iowa comes out and looks competent. Years of watching KF teams tell me that I will most likely be disappointed and wondering what did they practice for two weeks?

It would be awesome to see Iowa come out and throw the ball for their entire scripted series(s). Doesn't even have to be deep passes, instead working Wadley in swing passes, screens, crossing....and of course what would really help, PLAY-ACTION!!!

How confused would NW be? How confused would we be? Just do to NW what they do to us, dink and dunk them to death until we start to get some space at the LOS, then we hit them with our running game.

Unfortunately, too often it appears passing is way too difficult of a concept for this offense.

I would also like to see multiple deep passes a game. Allow Stanely to adjust. Maybe even set it up that we throw deep on our longer 3rd downs to serve as a better punt if the DB does intercept the pass. Figure it can't really hurt can it? We either: Catch the pass. Get a Pass Interference, Incomplete, Interception. This of course assumes that the ball isn't 6 yards overthrown. Which is why I think he needs multiple attempts in a game. He'd have to figure it out by the 2nd/3rd attempt right?

I am hopeful that Iowa comes out and looks competent. Years of watching KF teams tell me that I will most likely be disappointed and wondering what did they practice for two weeks?
ITS execution no?

What's wrong with people creating misleading thread titles?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the biggest game in the era of collegiate football.

Ferentz era. What a maroon not to put it in proper perspective.

Underachievement, disappointment, excuses, vanilla, let us count the ways...

A good guess for NW...beat the brains out of a play-making RB by banging him into a stacked line about 25 times...

This is the biggest game in the era of collegiate football.

Ferentz era. What a maroon not to put it in proper perspective.

Hey Maroon,

Just read the first line of the OP...even after the Thread line. I believe any maroon would get it. Jesus, it not like you needed a detailed instruction sheet to understand the point. It's a big, big game for Brian Ferentz...not the program. Let's hope he has his offense ready with a solid game plan today.

westender is also kind of a maroon if you ask me. You had to read and understand one sentence in the actual post. Is that really too much to ask of people.

Latest posts