Is Kirk Worth It?

seepig

This thread is dedicated to different financial analysis that someone like Gary Barta should use when evaluating idiotic contract extensions:

First I compared KF to 2 other coaches randomly:

WINS 2012-2015 Yearly Contract Pay Cost/Win

Ferentz 31 $4,100,100 $11,108,323

Larry Fedora UNC 32 $1,930,000 $ 5,149,312 2.1X less than Ferentz

PJ Fleck WMU 25 $ 800,000 $ 1,666,650 6.7X less than Ferentz

In this first analysis it costs the people of the great state of Iowa 2.1 TIMES more per win versus Larry Fedora and almost 7 TIMES MORE in $ per win over the last 4 years versus a PJ Fleck! We are literally upside down as it relates to Larry Fedora and it's costing us almost $2M more than a PJ Fleck to get a win. How on God's Earth can KF be worth that much more for 1 more win per year than a Fleck or LESS than a Fedora?

Since one could argue that ticket sales could slump without KF there let's see how far it would have to slip:

The average attendance at Kinnick is around 75,487/game or 452,922/yr. @ $50/ticket = $22,646,100 yearly Tix Rev.

Let's say with a new hire we lose 1,000 avg. attendees per game 446,922/yr. @ $50/ticket = $22,346,100 yearly Rev.

Let's say with a new hire we lose 3,000 avg. attendees per game 434,922/yr. @ $50/ticket = $21,746,100 yearly Rev.

Let's say with a new hire we lose 5,000 avg. attendees per game 422,922/yr. @ $50/ticket = $21,146,100 yearly Rev.

Let's say with a new hire we lose 9,000 avg. attendees per game 398,922/yr. @ $50/ticket = $19,946,100 yearly Rev

Our Breakeven versus say a Larry Fedora would be a massive loss of 9,000 attendees per game/per year for Kirk to be worth the money we are paying him NOW and this gets even worse with the pay raise on the contract extension. I didn't even figure out what the breakeven is on Fleck but it's astronomical like a half full stadium!

There would be other financial geniuses that would probably debate me on this but the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Gary Barta should be run out by pitchforks as this is a massive porkulous contract and a ripoff to the people paying taxes in IOWA.

I don't get it....why does any human being (that doesn't work in the athletics department of Iowa) care what the coach of the Hawks is paid? If he was a volunteer would you not be disappointed with the results so far this year? If he was paid a zillion dollars would you not have food on your table? It's a BS argument in my opinion. Could they spend a fortune and attract a coach who would win at a higher level? Probably so. At the same time, we've got it pretty good and have a good steward at the helm. Quit acting like this is hurting you financially or that you have any stake in the profitability of the Hawks.

I don't get it....why does any human being (that doesn't work in the athletics department of Iowa) care what the coach of the Hawks is paid? If he was a volunteer would you not be disappointed with the results so far this year? If he was paid a zillion dollars would you not have food on your table? It's a BS argument in my opinion. Could they spend a fortune and attract a coach who would win at a higher level? Probably so. At the same time, we've got it pretty good and have a good steward at the helm. Quit acting like this is hurting you financially or that you have any stake in the profitability of the Hawks.

Good point. You're absolutely right. It's not, nor ever should be about how much he's paid. The travesty is how long he's paid it, regardless of how badly he performs.

It has sentenced Iowa football to being one of the 90 or 95 irrelevant programs and one of the top underperforming programs relative to resources, for the next 10 years. That sickens and saddens me because it is one of my most cherished forms of entertainment.

Good point. You're absolutely right. It's not, nor ever should be about how much he's paid. The travesty is how long he's paid it, regardless of how badly he performs.

It has sentenced Iowa football to being one of the 90 or 95 irrelevant programs and one of the top underperforming programs relative to resources, for the next 10 years. That sickens and saddens me because it is one of my most cherished forms of entertainment.
That was the point was the cost of the contract extension. Frankly I don't care my point was it's probably a financially prudent rationale NOT to re-up Kirk when there are other worthy stewards of the helm that could do just as good for far less $ commitment.

Hawkforlife, well considering you missed the entire point of the thread perhaps you can look at other forum threads. There's no ARGUMENT is simple $ math. My argument is that we could likely win equal or less and it wouldn't impact Iowa attendance, fervor or anything else once iota. He has absolutely been a good steward the point was the contract extension and all it's perks were out of line for what we get. And no matter how you slice the math we (fans, residents, etc.) got the financial short end of the stick.

10 year extension! Why? Tell me why? Where was Ferentz going? Was he threatening to leave? If things are going well, why did they not just keep adding a year to his already great contract? Why the need for such a long contract and huge buy out? The buy out clause had to be instigated by Ferentz. Kirk has more money than most could ever imagine. If he is such an upstanding guy, why doe he insist on such a huge buyout? Some of us do not like stupid! And this contract was flat out stupid.

Iowa is spending a fortune now to win at a higher level. What fans are upset about is we are not winning at a higher level. We struggle to win 50% of our games against the WORST teams in the country. (ISU, etc.) We consistently lose to programs with coaches that make less than 1/2 of what ours is paid. We play a boring, predictable brand of football. Some of us drive a long way to get to a football game at considerable expense. We expect far more than what we are getting.

Last edited:

I bet you date a big girl. I'm thinking real big.

...In this first analysis it costs the people of the great state of Iowa 2.1 TIMES more per win versus Larry Fedora and almost 7 TIMES MORE in $ per win over the last 4 years versus a PJ Fleck!...

It is my understanding that football expenses are not funded by Iowa taxpayers. Like it or not (and I don't) and thanks to Barta, we are stuck with KF for at least five years or until he retires.

It is my understanding that football expenses are not funded by Iowa taxpayers. Like it or not (and I don't) and thanks to Barta, we are stuck with KF for at least five years or until he retires.

That is correct. KF's salary is not paid by the state or by taxpayers so the great people of Iowa aren't paying for it in tax form. Now we may be "paying for it" based on the product that they put on the field sometimes...but that's a whole different argument.

Kirk-Yes
GD-No
When O'keefe was at Iowa,he was the problem. Now it is Davis. Hmmmm.
And I do not give a crap where the money is coming from, it is still money. It is still my money that I spend to go watch really boring, crappy football. It is my opinion that Ferentz was paid very well and that a contract such as the one he was given was a VERY poor decision. Iowa gained nothing from it. Like I said, where was he going?

Latest posts