Is it safe to come back yet?

deanvogs

Just curious if all the typical dousher overreaction types have run out of steam yet? I'd like to be able to visit HN and read about Iowa who is leading the B1G right now.

Teams are what their body of work say they are. When you look at the body of work, Iowa has the best result, with one of the toughest B1G schedules to date:

Iowa 11-3 Conference SOS 38
Indiana 11-3 Conference SOS 107
Maryland 10-4 Conference SOS 33
MSU 9-5 Conference SOS 53
Purdue 9-5 Conference SOS 55
Michigan 9-5 Conference SOS 77
OSU 9-5 Conference SOS 91
Wisconsin 8-5 Conference SOS 17

We are in first place after 14 conference games played, I choose to enjoy this season!

Just curious if all the typical dousher overreaction types have run out of steam yet? I'd like to be able to visit HN and read about Iowa who is leading the B1G right now.

Teams are what their body of work say they are. When you look at the body of work, Iowa has the best result, with one of the toughest B1G schedules to date:

Iowa 11-3 Conference SOS 38
Indiana 11-3 Conference SOS 107
Maryland 10-4 Conference SOS 33
MSU 9-5 Conference SOS 53
Purdue 9-5 Conference SOS 55
Michigan 9-5 Conference SOS 77
OSU 9-5 Conference SOS 91
Wisconsin 8-5 Conference SOS 17

Probably safe but better wear your hardhat and watch your back.
We are in first place after 14 conference games played, I choose to enjoy this season!

Let me check for you.

tumblr_nh27kfwwXs1tgmzako1_400.gif

Nope...still not safe.

Maybe some on this board will step away from the ledge now. Its college basketball, there is a lot of parity and good players all over any more. Upsets happen. I'm with you Deano, in first place lets just enjoy this unexpected surprise. I am starting to think many of us just don't know how to enjoy a good season, we make ourselves miserable when we should be happy we actually have a good team to watch this year.

Also, the NCAA field is wide open this year, we get hot we have as good of chance as anyone as going to the final four or winning the whole dang thing.

It really wasnt that bad. There was criticism, but I think many saw this coming a little bit with the way the Hawks have played the last couple weeks. Get some rest, get regrouped and they have 4 games left to win the conference title.

I'm still mad we didn't beat Minnesota by more....sarcasm. Just remember we beat Michigan State with a Lickliter team that had no business being on the same court as Michigan State. Seems like the final score was in the 40's.

I'm still mad we didn't beat Minnesota by more....sarcasm. Just remember we beat Michigan State with a Lickliter team that had no business being on the same court as Michigan State. Seems like the final score was in the 40's.

It was! Iowa won 43-36. Lick's first B1G win. Worst/Best thing I have ever seen.

The Maryland loss and another 24 hours removed from the Penn State game seems to have brought most back to reality. A thought ran through my mind as I was watching the 1st half last night. Trimble has been struggling. Yogi has been struggling. Uthoff has been struggling. These are All Conference caliber players. An 18 game Big 10 schedule is an absolute grind.

The Maryland loss and another 24 hours removed from the Penn State game seems to have brought most back to reality. A thought ran through my mind as I was watching the 1st half last night. Trimble has been struggling. Yogi has been struggling. Uthoff has been struggling. These are All Conference caliber players. An 18 game Big 10 schedule is an absolute grind.

This got me thinking, Valentine is surging but he missed those games in January which maybe is helping him now. Hope the voters consider body of work (including missed games) for their POY ballots.

I don't understand this statement. I'm not arguing with you. Everybody says it. I've said it. Every conference says their conference schedule is a grind.

So since PSU and Minnie are also in a grind and have played the same number of games, why is it the all-conference caliber players struggle while the lesser-talented players on lesser teams upping their game during the same grind?

This got me thinking, Valentine is surging but he missed those games in January which maybe is helping him now. Hope the voters consider body of work (including missed games) for their POY ballots.

If Uthoff returns to form for the last 4 games he has a shot at Big 10 POY. Valentine is playing extremely well right now and has a soft schedule down the stretch. It's his to lose IMO. Uthoff is a virtual lock for 1st Team All Conference. I have to think Jok is close to a lock for 2nd Team and a 4-0 finish with Jok playing at the level he has been should get him some 1st Team attention.

I don't understand this statement. I'm not arguing with you. Everybody says it. I've said it. Every conference says their conference schedule is a grind.

So since PSU and Minnie are also in a grind and have played the same number of games, why is it the all-conference caliber players struggle while the lesser-talented players on lesser teams upping their game during the same grind?

It is a grind for Minnesota and Penn St. as well. All that means is that it is impossible to play your best every night out. It doesn't mean they every team has a bad game the 14th game in.

I took a peek at Pomeroy's top 10, 8 of the 10 have 5 or more losses....AP it is 7 of 10. In other words, a lot of basketball left to be played.....The PSU loss stings, but everything is still in play.

No team can play their A game 18 times. It just doesn't happen. If another team plays their A game and we play our C game (especially on the road) we could easily lose. But we're good enough that we may still win. The same is true for everyone else including Penn State and Minnesota. When we played our B+ game and Penn State played their D game the first time it was an embarrassing loss for Penn State...an absolute beat down.

And I strongly believe playing on your home court helps tremendously this late in the year where the crowd can help energize those tired legs. This is my take on it anyway.

Could it be that the all conference players are always dealing with teams that have scouting reports and game plans that are designed specifically to stop them? Or that all conference players usually play the most minutes because they are so good and therefore can get worn down?

Could it be that the all conference players are always dealing with teams that have scouting reports and game plans that are designed specifically to stop them? Or that all conference players usually play the most minutes because they are so good and therefore can get worn down?

I think it's a lot harder for the top players and top teams to stay up for every game. It's human nature to get complacent. The teams at the bottom can get fired up to play a top 10 team a lot easier than a top 10 team can get fired up to play a bottom feeder.

Penn State is a perfect example. Their game against Nebraska shows what a bad team can look like when they play a run of the mill average team. Tired and worn down. Their games against Iowa and Indiana show what can happen when a bad team gets fired up to play a complacent top 10 team.

I think it's a lot harder for the top players and top teams to stay up for every game. It's human nature to get complacent. The teams at the bottom can get fired up to play a top 10 team a lot easier than a top 10 team can get fired up to play a bottom feeder.

Penn State is a perfect example. Their game against Nebraska shows what a bad team can look like when they play a run of the mill average team. Tired and worn down. Their games against Iowa and Indiana show what can happen when a bad team gets fired up to play a complacent top 10 team.

Indiana as a Top 10 team? Dan Dakich has hacked PCHawk's account!

I agree with the rest of what you're saying. And Iowa shouldn't have trouble getting up for Wisconsin (Fran and Uthoff don't care much for them), Ohio State (it's Ohio State), Indiana (February 11...need I say more) and Michigan (it's Michigan).

Indiana as a Top 10 team? Dan Dakich has hacked PCHawk's account!

I agree with the rest of what you're saying. And Iowa shouldn't have trouble getting up for Wisconsin (Fran and Uthoff don't care much for them), Ohio State (it's Ohio State), Indiana (February 11...need I say more) and Michigan (it's Michigan).

Lol it was more so because Indiana was at the top of the conference.

That's why I thought before the Penn State game that it was going to be one of the easiest to lose. If we play our best in the last 4 games we will win and there is a good chance we will play our best against those teams. There was also a good chance we wouldn't play good against Penn State and a good chance they would bring their A game. I knew we needed to put them away early so they would lay down. If that one guy wouldn't have gotten hot when he did, we would have build a 15 point lead or so and it probably would have been over.

Watching that basketball game was like experiencing a root canal. I think it set college basketball back a decade or two...