Is it possible we may be giving OSU to much credit and Iowa not enough

HaydenHawk56

going into this game? Count me in the masses thinking OSU can name the score, but consider:

Regular Season

Sat 8/31
bbp.png
BuffaloW 40 - 20
Sat 9/7
70x70_sdsu_logo.png
San Diego St.W 42 - 7
Sat 9/14
ccd.png
@ CaliforniaW 52 - 34
Sat 9/21
ffb.png
Florida A&MW 76 - 0
Sat 9/28
wwo.png
(23) WisconsinW 31 - 24
Sat 10/5
nnv.png
@ (16) NorthwesternW 40 -30

Is Iowa better than Buffalo, San Diego St, and Florida A&M? I would think so. Will Iowa be at least the 2nd most physical team Ohio St has played this year besides Wisconsin. I would think so.

OSU is giving up 12.75 points at home and scoring a little over 47 points at home. But, I got to think Iowa's defense (yes the pass d is bad) but the run defense is fairly salty and I would hope that would be good enough to cut down some of their scoring average at home.

All and all it looks like on paper Iowa could keep OSU somewhere in the 30s. Iowa has averaged 25 points scoring on the road (at Iowa St and at Minnesota). They put up 14 on the best defense in the Big Ten (MSU) at home. But OSU run defense is also up there in the top 10 I believe. Iowa can probably score at least 14-17 in this game.

I would say 38-17 which is a 3 score game, but a respectful loss to a top 5 opponent on the road being out-gunned.

Maybe we can force a turnover or two to get the score a little more respectable. But, maybe Iowa is not quite 56-3 bad in this game.....at least I hope.

A loss is a loss. I just hope we don't have any more key injuries. Iowa is overmatched on the field and on the sidelines. Use the experience as a way to get better, but Iowa has almost no chance to keep this under a 10 point loss.

Follow what Fry did when he came to town. Don't be happy with close losses, go out to win it every game, and accept nothing less.

I'm afraid this might turn into the Michigan game from last year. A spread team with a mobile QB who can extend plays. I don't think Tanner Miller and Lowdermilk are up to the task of preventing the deep ball from Braxton.

Braxton Miller is the best player Iowa will face this year, and it's not even close. I do think that OSU is getting a little too much credit (this team is pretty "meh" by OSU standards, but they'll win a lot because the B1G is pretty bad), but not so much more that this will be competitive.

I just hope we can keep it close. We don't match up very good with them if we can't run the ball and keep our offense on the field its going to be a long day for our defense.

Normally I'm one that takes a hard look at the numbers, but this just feels like a game where Iowa will surprise. I'm still taking them to cover.. Although I hope the line moves to about +19 by the time I place the bet.

Plain and simple this team is better than last year with a lot of potential. Seems like people get short memory syndrome after MSU and think we're just totally outmatched. Yes the secondary is awful, but I still think we can hold them to around 30, and get close to 30 ourselves.

We are giving OSU way to much credit, a truly top 5 team would have dominated NW and Wisconsin. Alabama would have beat those teams by 3 TDs. That being said, I still think Iowa is getting too much credit as well with the line in the high teens. If I were a gambler, I wouldn't put money on Iowa even sniffing that spread.

No. It's not possible we're giving OSU too much credit.

I won't be surprised to see OSU second and third string play significant minutes in the second half.

It is probable that we are giving Ohio State too much credit and Iowa not enough. Kirk will have the team prepared and as long as they stay with in the game plan Iowa should be within a respectable distance at the end. Iowa loses by less than 14.

I am listening to a podcast about this game. They agree that the way for Iowa to win is to out physical the cheaters. Control the clock keep the chains moving, kind of make them play a style that they don't want to play.

Second thing is Iowa can't make the same mistakes that they did last time they went to that crummy stadium in Ohio. There were too many dropped passes, a missed chip shot fg, turnovers. With one or two fewer mistakes Iowa would have won. The defense also has to play just as well.

Power football, error free football, and strong defense is what they need to win.

Depends on our OL. If they can keep the O on the field we will keep it close. (10-14 ) But if they get dominated like they did at MSU Hawks are in for a long day.

No I don't think people are giving Ohio St too much credit. If anything people aren't giving them enough. They have an incredible amount of talent and a coach who has proven he can win big with talent.

That said, I agree that Iowa fans aren't giving their own team enough credit. They haven't allowed a rushing TD yet, halfway through the season. That's no joke. Iowa has their hands full to even keep this game respectable but they're going to punch back on Saturday.

If I were coaching, I'd give the starters the first 2 series of the game on both sides of the ball. If we were down by 10 or 14 after those series, I would pull the starters. No sense in getting anyone hurt and might as well give the starters in essence a full bowl practice season within the regular season with these two strategically placed bye weeks. Ohio State is a decent ball club, but they are nowhere near the upper crust.

Kirk's entire philosophy is designed for games like this (unfortunately, his philosophy also keeps bad teams in the game). So I guess there's always a chance the Hawks can keep it respectable, but the talent gap is pretty wide...

Kirk's entire philosophy is designed for games like this (unfortunately, his philosophy also keeps bad teams in the game). So I guess there's always a chance the Hawks can keep it respectable, but the talent gap is pretty wide...

Um, no. His old philosophy of two salty lines and a reasonable ball control offense would have kept us in a game against a Tressel coached OSU team. But with Davis calling the offense and running this headless chicken no huddle offense, we'll be lucky to keep this game within 4 TDs.

Latest posts