Is it just me or is the tackling so far this year been atrocious?

I can't recall a start to a year where the tackling, across the board, has been as awful as it's been this year.

Just this week, in watching the PSU/Bama game, the ND/Mich game, the IA/ISU game, and several others flipping back and forth, it was terrible. I realize a guy like Richardson for Bama is a good back, but this is PSU we're talking about, and they looked like a high school team trying to tackle him.

I wonder if it's because programs are cutting way back on hitting and tackling during fall camp? I don't know what it is, but it's laughable.

I think this bodes well for the Hawks because we don't hold back in camp and it has shown so far this year. Iowa's tackling so far has been crisp and solid.

I completely agree. Watching football all day Saturday I noticed dozens of bad tackles. Oregon's James and Bama's Richardson consistently got hit without being wrapped up. I know they are excellent backs, but the tacklers simply had bad form IMO. It was like they were trying to just knock them over with the impact without wrapping up at all.

Along that same line . . . did anyone catch the Carolina Panthers game yesterday? Chris Gamble whiffed on a tackle but Charles Godfrey came in and wrapped the dude with a nice open field tackle. The guys doing the game kept commenting on how great his technique was, then they showed Gamble's whiff a few more times. It was beautiful :)

I think tackling has been declining for some time. It's becoming a lost art. Players see the ESPN highlight reels where guys are getting lit up, and that's what they start going for. The problem is that most of those hits aren't fundamentally sound. Now Sheldon Brown's hit on Reggie Bush in 2006 (I think that's right)? THAT was a great hit. He rocked Bush, but he also had his helmet on the ball and wrapped up. If guys want to bring the boom, they need to emulate hits like Brown's.

I've told my friends the same thing about the **** poor tackling. I've probably watched at least 10 games this season and couldn't believe how terrible the tackling has been even on the top teams in the land. I've re-watched Iowa's games and missed tackles have not occurred anywhere near as often as with other teams, not to mention they are really hitting hard this year. That has me very encouraged. The Boise State-VT game was one of the worst tackling displays I've seen this year. The USC-Hawaii game was another one that comes to mind.

Yeah not to mention Richardson squats 650 or something ungodly. The dude has a lot of strength.

I have noticed an increase with guys trying to make a big hit or trying to strip the ball instead of wrapping up. But we'll see how it plays out in the next few weeks.

There has been a plethora of bad tackles this year, but that's not super surprising this early on.

Remember, Iowa has a VERY veteran defense. The only guy who is at all green is Hyde.

Everyone else has been in the program and being drilled and drilled in fundamentals for at least a few years. And guys like Tarp and Neilson have been in the program 4 and 5 years respectfully.

However, Iowa had it's fair share of problems on Kick-off and punt return. For instance, on the first long kick return, Bernstine failed to stay in his lane and ran past the return guy and took another one of our players out, which left a massive hole for the back to run through (and he has been in the program forever). Some of our younger guys really stunk it up there on the coverage teams as well.

So we still have some of our own work to do.

There has been a plethora of bad tackles this year, but that's not super surprising this early on.

Excellent. I don't recall the word "plethora" appearing previously on this forum. :)

I didn't think the Hawks' tackling was particularly crisp Saturday. I recall Alexander Robinson having some carries/receptions where he broke some tackles, along with an ISU WR having a catch where it took multiple Hawks to bring him down. I know ISU was supposed to have some gifted skill players, but I expect the Hawks to always tackle well. Sash in particular missed a few and has been going for the big hit early this season. Jon commented on how Sash has looked like a headhunter, which is great if he connects and the player goes down, but he still needs to wrap up, which he didn't do Sat. a few times.

Kinda funny you mention this. I was watching some of the replay games and I was amazed how many missed tackles were going on. FSU was horrid!